Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Douching During Youre Period (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Is it safe to douche during youre period?....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fashiongirl
|

replied January 21st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
From what ive heard & read,douching regularly isnt a good idea because its an artificial way of cleaning yourself out.Ur body produces its own secretions to do this.
I dont think it'd b safe 2 do it while ur bledding but I dont know
|

replied January 30th, 2004
Hi,

with my knowledge and understanding and an advice from a health professor and obgyn... Douching is not good at alllll!!! It is more likely to give you an infection or other viginal problems..Keep your self clean but not with a duche..Its a killing....
Mad
|

replied January 30th, 2004
I feel that douching is bad for you... Everytime I douche I get infections because it washes away everything to protect me from certian bacteria.... I feel that cleaning yourself with water is the better choice than putting chemicals in your area Smile
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
I feel that douching is necessary...And no your not supposed to douche while you are on your period. Why would you do that anyways? It would defeat the purpose, because your still going to bleed. It is best to douche after your period or any other time of the month you want to feel fresh.

~sara~
|

replied February 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Douching is not safe at all, just ask your doctor! It washes away the natural cleansing elements in the vagina and causes nothing but problems! It can cause bv, uti, yeast infections and etc. But yeah, douching during your period would defeat the purpose anyway. Besides, your period is when your vagina is cleaing itself! Don't interrupt this process!
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
Yes doctors will tell you that douching is bad, but I have had less problems since I douche. Less infections such as yeast and others.

~sara~
|

replied February 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Well then hey! If it works for you then great!
|

replied February 17th, 2004
I usually douche towards the end of my period....It just makes me feel cleaner(and smell better) but I only use "mild" vinegar/water douche.

I think most doctors would agree that a very mild douche is sometimes a good idea.Definitely not the flower/musk/strawberry,etc. Ones,but just plain old vinegar/water. Smile
|

replied February 18th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I copied this from a medical website for you girls. See, I was not making it up!

Is douching healthy?

Simply stated, the answer is "no."
according to a study published by the american journal of public health, douching may reduce a woman's chance of becoming pregnant during a particular month by approximately thirty percent.

Regular vaginal douching changes the delicate chemical balance of the vagina and can make a woman more susceptible to infections. Douching can introduce new bacteria into the vagina which can spread up through the cervix, uterus, and fallopian tubes. Researchers have found that women who douche regularly experience more vaginal irritations and infections such as bacterial vaginosis, and an increased number of sexually transmitted diseases.

Furthermore, regular users of vaginal douches face a 73% greater risk of developing pelvic inflammatory disease (pid) -- a chronic condition that can lead to infertility, or even death, if left untreated. Bacterial vaginosis and pid can have serious adverse affects on pregnancy including infections in the baby, labor problems, and preterm delivery.

For these reasons, douching is no longer recommended as a safe or healthy way to routinely clean the vagina. The only safe and healthy way to clean the vagina is to let the vagina clean itself. The delicate chemical balance of the vagina is very sensitive and easily disrupted by routine vaginal douching.

There was also this:

the reasons why women douche are not well understood, but most report cleanliness is their main goal, according to the study.

Also not well understood are the reasons why douching could be harmful. But they may be due, in part, to the mixture of vinegar, water, acidifiers and antibacterial agents found in most commercial douches.

Douching washes away "vaginal flora," or the bacteria normally found in the vagina, which may leave women susceptible to bacterial vaginosis, the most prevalent vaginal infection in women. Douching can also push harmful bacteria into the cervix, the uterus and the fallopian tubes, increasing the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease, a painful condition that can lead to sterility or ectopic pregnancy, merchant says.

It's also believed that naturally occurring bacteria provide some protection from sexually transmitted diseases. By changing the environment in the vagina, douching may make women more susceptible to such diseases, she says.

And this....

If you douche because you feel you have an odor, consult your doctor -- it may be a sign of a more serious problem.

If normal bathing cannot get rid of the odor then you really should consult your doctor. I have never not been able to get rid of a smell with regular bathing. But, it is just a matter of preference. I am not knocking it at all. I just wanted everyone to know that no doctor would condone douching (or at least could not and keep a clear conscience). So, just know the dangers. God bless.
|

Experienced User
I dont see how this can be safe because you are washing away the bodies natural secretions which do the job of balancing any bad bacteria with the good, I feel any short term benefits you are feeling will in the long run prove to be very short lived and youll suffer for it eventually.
|

Thanks for posting that info hotasfrick .I honestly never knew all that.I will definitely refrain from douching......Feeling fresh and clean isn't worth it. Laughing
|

Extremely eHealthy
You are very welcome, and once again I am not knocking people who do, I just wanted you girls to know the dangers.
|

replied March 14th, 2004
I don't douche but I use an external vaginal cleanser in the shower mad by summer's eve for sensitive skin. I don't know if this is related but is it bad to use this also?
|

replied March 15th, 2004
Experienced User
Since it is used externally, it should be perfectly safe. I use it myself. Most bacteria that needs to be maintained is inside the vagina.
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
Hydrogen Peroxide Douche
There is a lot of information online about using a DILUTED hydrogen peroxide douche, which gets rid of harmful bacteria while promoting natural flora of the vagina. A mild recipe is 12 tbs in 1 gallon of distilled water. Best to use food grade hydrogen peroxide, but it is hard to find.

Forget about douche from the store!
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Hi there, I also know that douching is not good for you but my doctor prescribed it to me to be used for a certain period of time as she diagnosed that I have some kind of infection.I just find it weird that she would prescribe it knowing the many literature against douching.Or maybe it's alright since it's only to wash away the bacteria initially?
|

replied July 14th, 2009
douching is just far from good.
it makes it smell worse and doesnt clean anything.
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
douching
well i have had this infection, or whatever it is for about a month now, and im about to try douching to clean out the bacteria, i will let you know if it is harmful!
|

replied October 4th, 2010
douching
I found online that if you douche, you should do it with hydrogen peroxide, because it actually restores the pH balance, unlike water, which destroys it. Douching is bad because the water washes away the bacteria. But the H2O2 actually works. I use it whenever I douche, which is far and in between, but it gets rid of any odors, and doesn't give me an infection.
|
12 >>
Tags: period
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur