Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery Recovery Time??? (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery this past wednesday. Weds & thurs were the worst, I couldn't get up and was just sore all over. Percoset helped some, but mostly just made me tired. Friday started feeling better, a little more mobile. Saturday was running a low fever 99.2-99.5, (normal temp for me is 97.5) and just not feeling that great. No fever today but I still have a cramping pain in my right side, not where the incisions are, but below my rib. When I breathe in deeply, I feel it more. The incisions are just starting to become sore, but not really that bad. Another thing, perhaps because I am trapped inside my house, I have been really emotional.
My surgeon told me depending on how I was feeling I could drive in 4-5 days. I tried today and went to the store. I quickly discovered that it is uncomfortable to wear my seat beat in addition to wearing regular clothes, especially a bra. On the way home from the store, I wound up taking my bra off.

I was reading other posts and it seems like a lot of people were out and about in a few days. I really don't know how they did it. I read of people going to starbucks right after surgery. I couldn't even sit up! I also work with a woman who came back to work 4 days after her surgery. I want to call her up and ask her if she is crazy.

I'm just curious, is there anyone who felt the way I did after surgery? How long did it take you to bounce back to normal? I have off for the next 8 days and hopefully I will feel better before going back to work. My follow up appointment with the surgeon isn't until the 16th of august.
Thank you for your responses!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper towie
|

replied August 5th, 2006
Hi I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I had my surgery on wednesday stayed overnight at the hospital and was released the next day. It is now saturday and I am starting to feel better. The pain you are having on the right side is normal the doctor said that would last for about a week. Mine is a slight pain nothing major. Yesterday I did experience a lot of gas pain but it has subsided. So far I haven't had a bowel movement I am usually regular. I am eating a low fat diet like I was doing before and I am going to give myself a few weeks before I eat the pizza I have been craving. I don't understand why your follow up appointment is weeks away it should be no more than a week. I do not believe the people that claimed they went to starbucks after surgery I would say that is crazy and untrue. I hope you are feel better soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
|

replied August 5th, 2006
Hi dalhia, thanks for your reply. Things are much better than they were when I first wrote but I still feel sore by mid-day. I have been taking tylenol but yesterday had to take a percoset, and today I am much better. I am still having a hard time with regular clothes and can wear a bra only for a couple of hours. I also get very tired and need to take a nap. I was supposed to go back to work this coming tuesday but decided to take a couple more days and go back on thursday.

Until the saturday following my surgery, I had a problem with bowel movements as well. Then that saturday I went several times and have been ok since. However, a couple times this week I had to race to the bathroom shortly after eating.

Another problem I have that started the day after/or day of surgery is that my right leg in the area of my knee and part of my thigh is numb. I called the surgeon and he doesn't think it is from the surgery but from me sleeping on my back. But it has been 10 days and it is still asleep.

One good thing is I have been sleeping wonderfully since the surgery. I used to get up several times a night, but now I sleep the entire night!

Thank you again for your reply and hope that you have a speedy recovery.
|

replied March 9th, 2012
Pain after surgery
Sometimes numbness could mean a pintched nerve.
Im having my surgery tomorrow. Well its 2am so today. Im worried bout the pain after the procedure. Since it will be the weekend. For some reason the doctor doing my surgery thinks I will not need any prescription pain meds. He told me that Motrin 600 will do. Im worried because I was just released from the hospital yesturday after a bad GB attack. I was in the hospital for 3 days and they gave me morphine every 4-5 hrs. I am just so afraid of the pain. I would like to find out what meds are usually prescribed after the (i cant spell this) laproscopic precedure. THank you
|

replied August 6th, 2006
Hi towie I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I don't know why you are having problems with your legs I would get that checked out just to be on the safe side. I am doing well I had my first bowel movement this morning yippee lol. I am able to eat whatever I like without a problem I am looking forward to eating pizza again. Good luck with everything.
|

replied August 19th, 2006
Hi dahlia,

so how's that pizza? Are you feeling better? I'm still having a problem eating certain things. My surgeon said it can take 8-10 weeks for me to get back to normal. I now know why my leg is numb. Last weekend it was still numb and I was getting a burning pain from my knee to my thigh. It kept me up all night, I couldn't get comfortable without the pain and nothing helped. The surgeon said nobody ever complained to him about something like that, it could be a nerve and to see my primary doctor. I went to see her on thursday and she told me I had zoster (shingles). She said that it is good that I went to see her before I broke out in blisters. She said that sometimes when you suffer trauma to the body, as in surgery, the virus reactivates and causes shingles. I am on medication to help it. I hope this is the last thing I have to encounter this year. I have been dealing with one thing after another since january. I told my doctor I will not be back for the rest of the year.
Take care and hope all is well
|

He he he I had a slice yesterday and it was good. I can eat whatever I want without a problem. My only complaint is my acid reflux is back so I am on prilosec right now. I am hoping it will clear up. Also one of my incisions is tender I think I might have scar tissue underneath. It is a good thing you went to the doctor when you did blisters are very painful. I hope you feel better and be able to eat whatever you want soon. I am going back to work wednesday with the type of job I do I decided to take 3 weeks off so I think I am ready. Are you back to work yet?
|

Experienced User
Hi There!
Hi ladies :) hope you dont mind me popping in to join the discussion?!

I had my gallbladder removed laparascopically when I was 8 months pregnant with my middle child! It was the first one my doctor had ever performed so I was scared to death!! For awhile after my surgery I remember having pain when sitting/bending..It really sucked|! Also, for about a year after having my surgery I could not eat any ruffage. (salads and stuff like that)...Any how, even greasy food made me sick!

I hope you both are doing better after your surgeries! Good luck to you. :)

jeannine
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I had my galbladder regularly surgically removed and I had a heck of a time with certain foods, I kept a journal, one time I was okay with the certain food and the other time not but I always remembered that I could not be too far away from a bathroomafter eating but it is better now but I have other medical conditions so I am havibg to take pain meds so now I have the opposit problems, I guess I just cannot win.
I hope you are doing better!
|

replied August 20th, 2006
Hi everyone,

dalhia, I am glad you can eat whatever you want. I am jealous. I definately can't eat anything that is fried without having a bathroom around. But hopefully that will clear up. I had a little problem with one of my incisions, I had a stitch abcess which the doctor said was normal and to put some neo-sporin on it. It is better now. I would have loved to take 3 weeks and I think I should have. I took 2, went back on a thursday and was in a fog for a few days. Then I started the medication for the shingles which made me emotional. I think the people at work are hoping I return to normal soon! And so do i. Good luck going back to work.

Jeannine-i don't think I would have been as brave as you, being the 1st laporascopic surgery and also being 8 months pregnant! I was nervous just having the surgery and my doctor did over 1200 of them. Bending and getting up from laying down was difficult enough, I couldn't imagine what is was like 8 months pregnant. And I am sure that when the baby kicked it made the pain worse!

Sandy-i had that problem before my surgery where sometime what I ate was ok, other times not. It finally got to the point that no matter what I ate made me sick. I didn't have gallstones, mine was just not functioning right. The first time I ate something that really didn't agree with me was a week after my surgery. I had such high expectations of myself that I was goint to get back to normal quicker than I really was. I met a friend for dinner. I was a half hour away from my house. On the way home about 15 minutes into the drive I got severe pains in my stomach. As luck would have it, the traffic was moving slower than slow. Summer traffic around here is really bad. I was doubled over and made it home just in time. I have decided not to eat out for a while.

Well I wish you all well. Take care of yourselves.
|

replied August 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Towie
Yes, the pain after my gallbladder surgery plus being pregnant was not fun!! To make it worse, that first night I had the night rn come into my room, roll me over and jab a needle in my ass without saying one word! It was a horrible experience! I was petrified before and after the surgery as well! Because I was pregnant at the time, they did an ultra sound before they wheeled me in for the surgery, another once they knocked me out and one after the surgery..To top it off they did an ultra sound every hour while I was in the hospital! What a pain in the rear that was! But, my daughter turned out healthy and survived! She will be 12 next month as a matter of fact :)

jeannine
|

replied August 23rd, 2006
Jeannine
I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post. I could just imagine waking up and being poked without any notice. I don't wake up very nice, especially if someone wakes me. I also can't imagine having an ultrasound right after and every hour after surgery. They really press on your stomach when they do an ultrasound. My stomach was so sore I would have punched anyone who tried to touch me. Thank goodness you and your daughter were fine. Wish her a happy birthday. Take care.
|

replied August 24th, 2006
Post Laproscopic Gallbladder
I just had my gallbladder out tues. And I went to tim hortons six hours later. But I was moving real slow and slightly hunched over. I was starving and that was the first place we past and I was jonesing for a coffee. Lol has anyone tried taking natural supplements to help with digestion? The galbladder was a holding bay for instant bile and enzymes for digestion. Without our gallbladder things work a bit slower. Try smaller meals and try some food enzymes from a health food store. Also right after surgery aloe vera juice mixed with orange juice will help with the inflamation. Take lots of vitamin c to speed recovery. I personally take three enzymes and have had no problem so far with food. My first meal day after was mashed potatoes and meatloaf (grass fed beef *lower fat). For constipation I took magnesium tablets (stool softner) and cascara sagrada (natural laxative), also a bowl of fiber one cereal. Those pain killers bind you up terrible. I'm sore in the belly not doing jumping jacks or anything but I drove to town and walked around the video store for movies today (two days after surgery). One of my staples was a bit infected so I used a few drops of colloidal silver and put vitamin e oil on each incision two - three times per day. No more itchy sore staples. But I swear it's all the natural stuff I take. If anyone wants to more specifics I can tell you brand names of stuff I take. Most you can find at a gnc or order online.
|

replied August 24th, 2006
Experienced User
Towie
Yeah, you could say I was slightly miffed when the nurse just grabbed, rolled and stuck me! Lol luckily, the ultra sound tech was very good and gentle..She didnt hurt me at all! Of course, getting those damn staples out a week later sucked! Grin

i will wish her a happy bday for you! Thanks :)

jeannine
|

replied August 25th, 2006
Jeannine, they used staples? Ow, that must have hurt. I had disolvable stitches that after a month look pretty good except for the one below my bra. That one isn't that bad but is still red. My incision marks look like I was stabbed a few times. And the scar in my belly button feels like I have a hard ball under it. For the most part my nurses were gentle, however, when I had to go to the bathroom the first time, the one nurse raised the back of my bed to a sitting position a little too fast. I didn't have to stay overnight, which was a good thing. At home I was able to take 2 percoset every 4 hours, which I did the first 2 days. My birthday is next month too, but I will be a little older than 12. :)

ok, now ginalee-that is what I was talking about. I don't know how you went out 6 hours after surgery. Besides the aftereffects of the anesthesia, I was really sore and could not even fathom going out. I just wanted to be home and in my bed. As for driving, my doctor told me not to even try until 4-5 days after. When I tried on the 4th day after surgery because I was going crazy being in the house, I didn't do too well. I wound up coming right back and taking off my bra in the process. I mentioned to my doctor that I think my expectations were a little too high, that I expected to be back to myself within a few days and he laughed at me. He said not everyone is the same, some people do better than others. I just happened to be the one who took a couple of weeks. It's been a month since my surgery and I am still not back to normal. Bowel movements are much better but my leg is still numb and sore. I know a lot of people who swear by the natural remedies. It is not one area I have explored, but with the way this year has been going for me, I just might think about it. I know someone who owns a natural food store and am sure they will direct me on what I should be doing. Can't hurt.
|

replied August 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Towie
Yes, I had staples in all my incisions. It was rather interesting when I had them removed, too! My doctor, who was absolutely hilarious btw, kept teasing me while he was taking them out because it really stung! I have no idea why the staples, though..Maybe because I was pregnant??

Jeannine
|

You're right, probably because you were pregnant. I like it better when the doctors have a sense of humor and are real people opposed to being stiff and professional. My surgeon was very personable, made me feel more at ease. My primary doctor is the same way.
|

Experienced User
Towie
Yes, I cant agree with you more!!! The doctor that did my gallbladder surgery had his brother (who is obviously a doc also) assist. They were both fantastic!! Had wonderful sense of humors and very knowledgeable!! I was very fortunate! :)

btw, how are you feeling today?

Jeannine
|

Jeannine
That is amazing that both brothers are doctors. And that they work together. I had a resident surgeon assist. My memory of that day is really fuzzy, but I thought the resident came to me in post op and asked me if I remembered him. Lol.

I am pretty fortunate with my choice of doctors as well. I have been to the doctor quite a few times this year that when I call, all I have to give is my 1st name and they know it's me. Lol. The only doctor I was not thrilled with, actually I couldn't stand him, was a urologist I was referred to. I didn't like him as soon as I met him. Needless to say, I will never go back to him.

I am feeling ok, thanks. I've had a headache all week, kind of like I have too tight of a hat on. My leg is doing much better, it's still numb but doesn't hurt as much. I still have a few more days of the antiviral medicine to take and i've been taking a lot of motrin too. The way I have been going this year, I am waiting to see what happens next. It's been one thing after another since january, weird things, so keep your fingers crossed that I am done for the rest of the year. I have only 2 more appts, one for a mammogram next week and the following week for my eye appt. And that is it!! I told my hr person that I am surprised my health insurance didn't drop me yet. She said that when our rates go up next year she is pointing the finger at me. Lol
|

Experienced User
Towie
Wow! It sounds like you are going through alot right now! :( I hope things start to turn around for you and your health improves!!! My health has been in the crapper for the last 13 years!! Its like one surgery or problem after the other! Its driving me insane and I am sick to death of it....I may have missed something here...What is wrong with your leg? Ack!

Jeannine
|

replied August 27th, 2006
13 years? I think I would go crazy. What kind of problems are your having and were they a result of your gallbladder being removed? The only real problem i've had since before this year has been my thyroid. Since january it has been one thing after another. I never had surgery, nor was under anesthesia prior to this year. In february I had surgery to open my tear duct which was closed, may I had a cystoscopy for a bladder problem (uti/blood in urine) which was left as no cause found. I have had a ct scan and 4 ultrasounds (3 for an ovarian cyst they found with the ct scan which went away and then they found a small fibroid tumor), had strep throat a couple of times, cellulitis in my leg, my gallbladder removed. The day after surgery my knee and thigh were numb, it persisted, I called my surgeon who said it wasn't from the surgery, I went to see my primary who said it was shingles and was good I came to her before the blisters developed. She put me on steroids and an antiviral medication. My leg is still numb but the pain is mostly gone. Since then I have had to have a pap smear redone because they couldn't read the cells and I am still waiting for the results. I was telling a gastro doctor I know about everything I have been through and he thinks I shoud get a colonosopy and have other tests, but I told him I think I will wait for a bit and will call him when I am ready (next year). So, needless to say 2006 has been a horrible year healthwise. I have told my doctor I will not be back for the rest of the year. Positive thinking....
|