Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Pain Started Yesterday

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Well I have this jaw ache that started yesterday. I am a 17 year old male, and this pain seems to originate below the eye socket on the upper right jawbone. I have been reading up on some health websites, and it seems that tmj fits all the symtoms and it is what I believe it is. I am not really sure the cause of it, but it could be due party to the fact I use my retainer from after my braces like 1 time a week, and it seems to throw everything out of whack when I do, although it does keep my teeth straight, for an hour after I take the retainer off it seems that my upper teeth dont seemed aligned properly(it will go back to normal after the hour). The day the pain started, was one of the days I wore the retainer. I didn't know what the issue was, so I wore the retainer again last night, since I saw it could be due in part to grinding of my teeth, but its still the same as it is right now. For the most part is feels ok until I start eating. I mean its a bearable pain when I am talking or yawning, but when the upper jaw starts to feel any kind of resistance, it just shoots with pain. I try to keep the food to the other side.

Does this seem like tmj to you, or possibly something else..

Thanks alot for any help at all!

I am going to schedule a dentist appt. On monday

oh and also, I still have my wisdom teeth in, and they are almost fully grown in.. And I recently have gotten some new headphones that can be uncomfortable after long periods of usage, is it possible that prolonged pressure on my ear could cause this jaw pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 29th, 2006
I have just been able to identify where in my mouth the pain kicks in.. If I place my finger between my back upper wisdom teeth and bite down, the pain kicks in, otherwise, any of the other teeth are ok
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Talk to your dentist about your wisdom teeth , most people that I know have had theirs removed and about retainer use. Let him/her know what is going on.
Good luck!
|

replied August 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Foxshox,
definitely have your wisdom teeth checked out. It would be wonderful if removing the wisdom teeth removed the pain as well. Just be careful about opening your mouth wide and for a long time. Make sure to get plenty of breaks if they remove the teeth and ask them to be as gentle as possible in pulling (don't want to pull the tmj disc right out of joint).

I will pray that you will get the right help as soon as possible.
God bless...
Carol
|