Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Very Intense Headaches / Constant Dripping Sensation In Ear

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello to all.

I am writing on behalf on my mother, who is experiencing these problems.

She is a 57yo female who has been suffering from headaches for the past 4 months. Other than high blood pressure (she takes meds for that), she is in great health.

The first one came out of nowhere while she was at work and has continued since then.

The headaches come out of nowhere and are very frequent at this point (ususally constant; sometimes they are bearable, sometimes they are completely dehabilitaing).

They are localized at the back side of her head, only on the right side of her head.

As well, she has a tender scalp alongside the right area and her scalp is itchy.

She also has a dripping sensation in her right ear. It feels like something is trying to drip out of her ear, but when she puts her finger (or a q-tip) in her ear, nothing comes out.

She also has pain in the bone that's right behind the ear lobe (i think that bone is connected to the head?).

She has had a mri, a cat scan and an ultrasound, all for her head. They all came back normal and nothing was wrong.

They thought she had temporal arterities and had her on steroidal medicines, but due to all the above tests coming back normal, they have ruled out ta and have taken her off of that meds.

She went to an ear, nose and throat doctor, who gave a very cursory exam (just looking down her ear) and who prescribed her an antibiotic for what he thought was an infection. She took the antibiotics, but is still having the headaches.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone who might have an inkling of what could be wrong with her.

Thank you so much for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 25th, 2007
did anything get resolved with your mom's issues?
|

replied September 4th, 2008
the SAME EXACT symptoms are happening to me. just came out of no where. unbearable. i am a 50 yr old female. have been to many docs. has anyone diagnosed your moms problem? please advise. thanks.
|

replied August 17th, 2009
Bad headaches
i am 29 yrs old and i have the same problems my nose drips when i bend foward,the top of my scalp is always itchy and, i have pain in the back of my ear, and my head always hurts i dont know what its from either.im to nerves to know for some strange reason.if anyone has these same problems let me know.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 29th, 2012
I've had similar issues - the headache was being caused by TMJ which a chiropractor fixed for me, the ear pressure / dripping sensation is possibly this:

http://www.round-earth.com/SCM.html

I also have anxiety / stress issues - all the above may be linked.
|