Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

Menopause And Painful Sex

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I stopped having my period and since then intercourse is extremely painful, it's like he hitting my cervix or something.....I still have a sex drive, but it hurts so much.......Has anyone out there experienced this too?? I don't know what to do
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 3rd, 2006
Meno
Yes, recently I went to see a doctor for the same reason. She put me on some hormone creams and a patch. Worked great
|

replied October 9th, 2006
Re: Menopause And Painful Sex
livestrong wrote:
i stopped having my period and since then intercourse is extremely painful, it's like he hitting my cervix or something.....I still have a sex drive, but it hurts so much.......Has anyone out there experienced this too?? I don't know what to do

well, you shouldn't be experiencing painful sex just because you entered (peri)menopause. You should see a gyn because you could have developed ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids that often cause pain during sex. You didn't say how old you were and if your amenorrhea (absence of period) was related to your age or if it occurred just suddenly. You should give us more info or simply see a doc!
|

replied October 12th, 2006
You are the only other person i've heard describe it that way. When I became menopausal, I expected some dryness and thought it would perhaps hurt at the opening of or on the sides of my vagina. But no, it felt like we were creating a new hole in my cervix....Very painful. I've started the patch but don't yet know if it is helping. I have no remedy but wanted you to know that you're not alone. Good luck finding something that works!
|

replied May 16th, 2009
painful sex...
I have experienced the SAME thing. My husband is quite large anyway so certain positions have always been painful--but now EVERY position is painful. I'm sorry that you have this as well but glad to know that I'm not the only one. I don't want to be on hormones but I can't take the pain of this anymore!! I am only 41 too...ugh.
|

replied May 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Do you use a lot of lube?...This is so important when you are dry...Have you tried sex at the foot of the bed?...In this position you put your legs over his shoulders?....This way the penetration can be controlled by you...It really is a wonderful and erotic sexual mating...Hope this helps..

Caroline
|

replied May 17th, 2009
menopause and painful sex..
I have.. It's more his size. I don't have a problem with dryness(yet..lol) and hopefully I wont. I asked him to consider penis reduction surgery and he looked at me like I had just killed his Mom...LOL
|

replied May 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I am still laughing about what you said... Laughing ....Have you ever checked with the doctor about using dilators?...From what I understand they can slowly make a woman open wider...I wish I could help you more on this, but this is the best that I can do...Possibly doggy sex would again make you open farther?...I am trying... Rolling Eyes but running out of ideas....Good luck....

Caroline
|

replied June 20th, 2009
Hi there,
why don't try bioidentical hormone therapy, IT worked for me.
Just hang in there
Rgds
|

replied June 28th, 2013
AndreaToc1: Bioidentical hormone therapy worked? How long did it take?

Sex is very painful for me. I've used many lubricants but while they help, they don't eliminate the pain.

Called a Bioidentical place and found out I'd have to pay $1,000 for tests and consultations up front. Don't know what, if anything, my insurance will pay. If I knew it would work I'd pay it in a heartbeat but without knowing, I hesitate.
|

replied June 29th, 2013
Experienced User
Pushing60 - Any doctor (including your primary care doctor) can prescribe hormone replacement - bio-ID or synthetic. Both forms are available at retail pharmacies. And if you just want to treat the vaginal dryness / atrophy, there are creams (Estrace, Premarin), tablets (Vagifem), and rings (Estring) that are just for vaginal delivery and not systemic.
|