Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Abnormal Vaginal Opening---help! (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Recently, when trying to remove a tampon, it would not come out and when I attempted to pull, it caused pain. When examining further I discovered it was caught on a flap of skin inside of the entrance to my vagina. When moving aside the flap, I could take out the tampon. This has happened twice and i've since sworn off using tampons. The situation still worries me. There is loose skin attached almost in the middle of my vagina, so that I can insert a finger (without pain) on either side of it. This can't be normal. It is currently causing me physical discomfort (i had the tampon in yesterday afternoon) i'm not sure what the vaginal entrance is supposed to look like but mine has visible flaps skin that you push through to penatrate inside. I'm extremely scared so please any ideas would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Chewwie_Cookies
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2006
Supporter
Sounds like your hymen has only been partially broken. I assume you're not sexually active? Whenever the hymen breaks it doesn't just disappear, it still remains attached to the vaginal wall. It most usually remains in a sort of irregular way, maybe more on one side of your vagina than another, sometimes further up, sometimes towards the entrance, you know what I mean? So it sounds to me like the bit that comes across your vagina is just a partial piece of your hymen. Maybe you could see a doctor, see if she can put your mind at rest :)
|

replied July 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Wow: Same Hymen!
Oh my gosh, your hymen is exactly the way mine used to be!! My hymen was like that ever since I started paying attention, so I assume that's how it's always been since birth; since I never injured myself down there!

I used a tampon the first time I ever had a period, because it was the only thing my mom had; and when I tried to remove it, it got stuck on that skin and I tried really hard to get it out but it hurt too much! Then I managed to slide the string out around the skin and then the tampon came out fine :)

don't worry about using tampons with a hymen like this; it's okay! You will probably have to occasionally pull on the acual tampon instead of the string to get it slide out right (ick!) but other than that, my hymen posed no problems for me. A gynecologist did make a note about it, but that was about it; it's nothing to worry about!

It was especially nice when I first has sex, because a hymen like that just slides to the side, instead of having to be broken; so sex was painless as far as that went! My hymen finally broke during sex a few months ago; and boy did it bleed a lot; but it wasn't that painful when it finaly happened. Good thing we were having sex in the shower; that would have been a huge mess!!
|

replied April 16th, 2008
oh my goodness
i can't belive that someone has the same problem!
i have been so worried about putting in tampons ever since the same thing happened to me, twice.
when i put the tampon in on one side of the "hymen", it hurts, but the other side does not hurt as much.
i have always thought that the hymen was located on the inside of the vagina...i guess its not, right?
|

replied April 16th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Nope! NO hymen is "inside" the vagina, all hymens are on the outside.
|

replied September 1st, 2008
....Please Help Me.... :(
I'm Only 14 And I Don't Feel Like A Normal Teenage Girl Like All My Friends.
I Really Really Want To Have Sexual Intercourse With My Boyfriend But I'm Scared Because My Vagina Isn't Normal. And It hasn't Been Normal Since Grade 5.
It Has Been Very Hard Living With It For So Long But I Have Finally Had The Guts To Talk To Someone About It.

I Have Even Almost Commited Suicide I Have That Much Of A Low Self Esteem. I Just Want To Be Normal Like Every Other Girl And I Want To Have A Sexual Relationship With My Boyfriend Without Him Getting Freaked Out And Rejecting Me And Leaving Me Because The Look Of My Vagina.

It Has Skin Hanging Out Of The Opening Of My Vagina And Its About 3 or 4 Centermeters Long From My Vagina Pointing Down Towards My Feet.
It Looks Wrinkly And Ugly.
I Can't Wear Just Bikinis To The Beach Or The Pool In Summer Because It Hangs There And you Can See it Poking Out Through My Underwear Or Bikini Bottoms When I Have No Other Pants On.

I Really Want To Get Rid Of It But I Don't Know How.
And I Can't Talk To My Parents About It.

Can You Help Somehow?
|

replied July 9th, 2012
Almost all guys LOVE the long strange labia. Do not worry about it.
|

replied September 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
labia
sounds like you just have a larger labia than most dont worry its normal every girl has one it just varies in color and length but if it gets in the way you can have some of it removed to make it smaller talk to your doctor about but don't worry u can have sex and its normal talk to your boyfriend about your concerns and he will probably understand just like all penises are different sized
|

replied September 15th, 2008
Hello Again.
I Know You Said That I Can Go Get Some Of It Removed To Make It Smaller But,

Is There Any Way To Get It To Go Away Without Talking To A Doctor?
Like Maybe If I Don't Masterbate For Ages, Will That Make A Difference?
Will It Ever Just Go Back In My Itself?

Is There A Way?
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2008
Experienced User
Re: ....Please Help Me.... :(
CHOOKIE2521994 wrote:
I'm Only 14 And I Don't Feel Like A Normal Teenage Girl Like All My Friends.
I Really Really Want To Have Sexual Intercourse With My Boyfriend But I'm Scared Because My Vagina Isn't Normal. And It hasn't Been Normal Since Grade 5.
It Has Been Very Hard Living With It For So Long But I Have Finally Had The Guts To Talk To Someone About It.

I Have Even Almost Commited Suicide I Have That Much Of A Low Self Esteem. I Just Want To Be Normal Like Every Other Girl And I Want To Have A Sexual Relationship With My Boyfriend Without Him Getting Freaked Out And Rejecting Me And Leaving Me Because The Look Of My Vagina.

It Has Skin Hanging Out Of The Opening Of My Vagina And Its About 3 or 4 Centermeters Long From My Vagina Pointing Down Towards My Feet.
It Looks Wrinkly And Ugly.
I Can't Wear Just Bikinis To The Beach Or The Pool In Summer Because It Hangs There And you Can See it Poking Out Through My Underwear Or Bikini Bottoms When I Have No Other Pants On.

I Really Want To Get Rid Of It But I Don't Know How.
And I Can't Talk To My Parents About It.

Can You Help Somehow?

sweetie, i haven't seen your vagina, but i imagine that you're just fine. honestly...please don't ever thing bad of yourself. all vaginas are different. some have bigger lips than others, some clitoris's are bigger than others, some have more or less hair, etc. there are a million variables.

the thing is that god made you how he wanted to make you. you are probably totally normal and maybe you just haven't seen many vaginas that would give you the confidence to know that. ask your doctor (even your family doctor if you like). don't be embarrassed, because i bet there's a 99.9% chance you are PERFECTLY normal.

jasmine
|

replied April 17th, 2012
reply...
I'm 16, just letting you know from life's experiences...
one: Don't find a guy that loves you just for your body, because he's not worth it. and he's gonna end up liking some other girl for her body, and it's a mess. and besides the guy that really truly likes you will like you whether or not your "ugly" which I doubt it looks that bad, and I doubt you are! ps(im going through the same thing) It will pop soon... don't worry about it! And if your friends don't like you just because you don't have sex then they aren't real friends. Don't try to please anyone but God, He loves you for who you are. Be yourself no matter what others think... me and my friends tell people who don't like some of the things we do "that's just how we roll." Very Happy haha just stop worrying and have confidence! tell yourself you are beautiful and you are made In God's image. Talk to God alot, and find a man who is cuter and worth your time. Good luck! <3 hang in there! <3 your gonna make it!!!
|

replied June 8th, 2009
hmm, well i have a similar problem.
i have been having sex since i was 16, with my boyfriend. I did not notice a problem till recently. I seem to have an excess piece of skin connecting from one side of my vaginal opening to the other. Because i am sexualy active it has seem to stretched and can sometimes be seen even outside of my vagina. It has been getting irratated lately and is causing a lot of worry for me. My boyfriend suggests i go to the doctor, which i am doing next week. But am wondering if anyone knows anything about it? I know its not my hymen, and its not normal, its to thick to be ripped, and causes two entrance holes to the one vagina if that makes sense.
I feel so stupid, but i think i may have been born with it. some sort of deformation or something. uhhh
help???
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 2nd, 2009
vagina
In the past i havnt really took notice of my vagina but recently iv decided to check it know and then just to check if any things change so i know what to look out for. But when i 1st started cheking iv notcied tht the hole were i wee out of it noticeable and near a nuff covering the hole of my vagina. I can still have sex so i am still able to fit a penis inside me. It just males me uncomfatble because sometimes when i insert a tampon it get cort sometimes to were i wee out of. Plus i seem to have a bit of skin just around the opening of my vagina which i dont think is normal. Can any one help?
|

replied September 24th, 2009
crazy_girl89 you're not alone! I'm so glad i found this! Twice now a flap of skin has looped onto the tampon and made it really hard to get the tampon out. Its freaky feeling like it might get stuck, and gross to get it out. Is it worth having it looked at by a doctor? Is it safe to use a tampon again?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I am so glad it's not just me!! This "loop" thing happened to me too when I started using tampons. Been using tampons for years and I don't get that problem anymore. I've also been having sex with my boyfriend for years too but neither has broken this "hymen", and it does seem too thick to just break. It's not painful in any way but I'm not sure if it's something I'm gonna need to sort out or if it's fine just to leave it. Talking ahead of myself but I'm worried it'll be a problem in the future..ie giving birth?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Differences
Yup, same here honey. Im just relieved to have heard someone here say that I can have sex, that was my main concern, or that I would need surgery. I dont really want surgery, but I guess we'll see how that goes! Good luck to all of you with any issues, just remember that we are all different, including down there. Dont be ashamed : )!
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2010
I started really freaking out about this sometime in August 2009, I think. Before this time, I thought my vagina was completely normal. I was so scared when I actually looked it up on the internet, and me and my boyfriend at the time even broke up over it. I've always been so insecure about myself, and that was just the cherry on top of the cake. I'm 19, not sexually active(ever). I'm not sure how to describe it, but there's a string just inside of my vagina, in the middle and it's kinda made two holes. And if I try to move it, it really kinda hurts. Thing is, I got up the courage a while ago to tell my mum and she ended up pursuading me to go to the doctors. So we went and she examined me and said there was nothing there. I honestly felt like crying. I'd seen it myself and felt it myself. I'm scared to go back and ask again, but I honestly don't want to go through life without sex, because I'm damn sure I want kids some day, and I doubt any man would want to stay with me if I can't give him either of those things. Can anyone help me?
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Hun, I used to think the exact same thing! I'm a bit older and I've had 2 serious boyfriends who have never mentioned this or had a problem with it.. chances are they didnt even notice. I don't have any problem having sex, in fact i'd probably say it has helped to move it to the side a bit and out the way and has stopped me havin a problem with tampons. Obv i'm not sayin rush out and have sex, just know that when you do it should be fine, and you dont need to think bad of yourself because of this. have a look through some of the other discussions on here, i took a lot of comfort from the men who have posted their views that guys really do not bother about this sort of thing. any guy who's worth it wont! Hope you're ok!!
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
can i remove that skin by myself?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
@Cheergirl22 :I personally wouldn't advise it, since you'd probably get an inecfection and it would hurt, unless you numbed it. Go see a doctor, maybe they'd be more helpful to you than they were to me. I still don't know what to do about mine.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Oh thank goodness! i thought i was a freak when i tried to pull out my tampon quite a few times and it got stuck,it wasnt thin at all and "the flap" seems impossible to remove, but i could get it out after manouvering it around. I have lost my virginity, (i thought my hymen was gone =/) and am sexually active with my boyfriend, and he asked me what it was before and i had no idea because i felt nothing, and i never feel it during sex at all, the only time it has gotten in the way is when removing tampons. I am too embarrassed to go to the doctor and i dont want surgery because that would be embarrassing to explain lol but im glad that im not alone.
|