Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Coconut Oil

Stan,
i purchased organic virgin coconut oil. It is a semi-solid. I had to spoon it out of the jar. Is that right?
Have you tried cod liver oil in place of some of the olive oil? What are your thoughts on that?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2006
Community Volunteer
I tried coconut oil for frying before since it doesn't break down like olive oil, but I just couldn't get past that "tropical" taste mixed with beef and such. I've been meaning to look into cod liver oil. I'll get back to you on that. I've heard avocado oil is the shizniat as well.
|

replied July 21st, 2006
I like the flavor, but I was shocked at the semi solid nature of coconut oil. It fried my eggs beautifully.
Forgive me, but I don't no what shizniat means... Is it a good thing or a bad thing.
I saw several different oils - avocado, almond, walnut, olive, etc...

Should the coconut oil be semi solid or did I buy the wrong thing somehow?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2006
Community Volunteer
It depends on the temperature where it is. It doesn't matter if it solidifies. I had no luck cooking eggs with it. Yeah, shizniat means good, like saying that stuff is really, really good.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2006
My Experience With Coconut Oil
I tried it for cooking and found that as the food cooled on the plate so also did the oil residue on the food, returning to it's semi solid state. I did not like the taste, sight and feel of the product on/in the food, so I have returned to using a tiny bit of butter. Anything to get rid of the transfats in the diet, which have apparently caused much harm to certain people. Yes the oil is always solidified unless warm. If you put a bit on your skin it will immediately liquify, but I found that to have a drying after effect. Hope i'm not butting in...
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2006
Community Volunteer
What coconut oil were you using that there was transfat in it?
|

replied July 24th, 2006
Hey yonx - not butting in at all. I need to remember not to address stan directly because I like info from all.
I actually like the coconut oil. It cooks eggs beautifully for me. I'll continue to use it all up.
The coconut oil i'm using has no transfat, but has more saturated fat than olive oil.
Sometimes when heading out for the day I find carrying olive oil along a bit of a difficulty. Any suggestions? Would a couple of cod liver oil capsules work as well as a tablespoon of olive oil? Do you know if olive oil comes in capsules?
Thanks
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2006
Community Volunteer
I don't think it does. I still have to look into the cod oil. If i'm going on a trip where it will be somewhat annoying to carry around the bottle, I either bring a smaller bottle (they can be purchased like this or just reuse one) or I take an old plastic pop bottle, clean it out, and carry it around like that. Get a mountain dew bottle and no one will be like what the hell are you drinking.
|

replied July 25th, 2006
Love the soda bottle idea. Will definitely incorporate that one.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2006
Transfats..not In Coco' Oil
My brief message was misleading stan and mendi'. What I meant was that since I don't like coconut oil, and I did not want to return to cooking oils and take the risk of turning them into tranfats, (especially since they have already been heated once), then I would revert to using a little bit of butter. I don't do much in the way of frying. Most of my foods are eaten raw and steamed, but I will try frying eggs one day using coco' oil just to see. I don't eat eggs often as I get a cold sore from them if I eat them over a period of time. So it is an occasional affair. I use the organic extra virgin olive oil for sprinkling on or in foods after they are cooked, eg 'smashed' spuds. I don't know if one can buy them in capsule form.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2006
Capsules
Just a thought, sometimes you can buy empty capsules, probably from the health store, and use an ear dropper to fill them. No that sounds too messy...A friend did that with a horrid tasting liquid herb she was gagging on. She purchased a stronger type empty capsule so that it wouldn't melt with the liquid in it. I don't know about how well the cod liver oil caps would do.
|
Quick Reply