Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

How Can I Get This Labor to Progress?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
For about 2 weeks now, ive had regular contractions about every 10 minutes with the lowers stomach pains and back pains. The doctors think that its early labor. But im not dilating. Wethers its true labor or not which I understand that if it true labor you know it but every thing is there except the dilating. Anybodu have some input on what I can do to get this going? Any special foods? Tricks? Anything? I cant take this pain any more or I will just ask to be induced. Im so uncomfortable!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah im getting quite a lot of contraxtions but theyre not regular. People say that spicy food, walking and sex helps speed labour along but I dont know if its just tales or not
|

replied July 21st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
This Is Called Prelabor Or Prodromal Labor
I know it sounds terrible, doesn't it, that it would be considered 'pre-labor' - especially when you've been having it for 2 weeks already!

Prodromal labor, sometimes called latent labor, can be one of the most difficult aspects of childbirth, even though the contractions may not be especially painful or frequent. Any pregnant woman can experience it; however, first-time mothers seem to be most susceptible.

Uncertainty is the hallmark of prodromal labor. It's hard to know if it's the real thing or what to do about it. True labor is characterized by progressive dilation and effacement of the cervix. False labor eventually goes away. Unfortunately, prodromal labor does neither. Little cervical change occurs, but it seems to go on forever. It's as though the uterus is stuck in low gear.

Specific self-help measures include:

accept what's happening as a normal part of your own unique labor. Give up preconceived ideas of what labor is supposed to be. No one's labor ever fits those molds exactly anyway.

Surrender to the labor process. Just let go and let it happen. Trying to control it won't work and may be counterproductive.

Conserve your energy during contractions by keeping your body as relaxed as possible. Think of all parts of your body as being warm, heavy and loose. None of the muscles (except your uterus and heart, of course) have to do any work. Keep your breathing slow and easy. Rapid or complicated breathing patterns will only tire you and cause hyperventilation.

Try to sleep a normal amount of time. Exhaustion is the enemy of labor. Sleeping usually isn't possible in active labor so take advantage of your opportunities to sleep during the latent phase.

Distraction will help you cope and make the time seem to pass faster. So go about your usual routine or do something entertaining like going to the movies.

Activity can speed up labor. If you're rested, take a walk. Upright positions especially standing and walking, encourage strong, effective contractions.

Be sure to eat and drink enough. Small, light, frequent meals are best. Plenty of fluids are needed to prevent dehydration.

Warm baths and massage promote relaxation and rest.

Your nurse-midwives will do all they can to help you through prodromal labor. They will monitor your progress and assess the status of the baby as needed. In addition, they can give you suggestions for coping techniques and explain your options. They will want to see you for evaluation during this time although that doesn't mean you have to stay in the birth center the whole time. In fact you will probably be most comfortable in your own home until you're in active labor. Your cnm's will be available for you whenever you need advice or encouragement.

Remember your ultimate goal - your baby, who will be in your arms soon. Labor is the process that will make that happen.
|

replied July 23rd, 2006
I know how you feel..7/20 I started having contraction and they were 3 minutes apart and lasted 30-40 seconds everytime.They lasted for about 4 or 5 hours before we went to the doctor(we waited till they hurt really bad)i could have swore I was in true labor..They said it was just pre term labor and it would be about a week..Im still havin contractions but there is no dilation.My plug dropped friday and im going to the bathroom twice and much and am now feeling very nauseous,although all through my pregnancy I never got sick once.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Brookes - you are due august 22 right? That is 1 day after me. If you have your baby now it will be considered pre-mature. I think around 38 weeks is when they consider the baby full-term. I do not think you would want to deliver a month early?? That is annoying about the contractions though. They can be so unfomfortable. If you are not dialating, they are probably just braxton hicks. Are you still working?
|

replied July 24th, 2006
Experienced User
Designergal- they changed my due date to august 17th. But im still measuring a week earlier. So im measureing 37 weeks right now. I had my son at 36 weeks and they think that this baby is pretty big right now. I woke up this morning and the contractions and stomach and back pains really picked up. Im a little nervous. Ive been in so much pain the last couple weeks that I dont know if im progressing into labour or if its just normal stuff. Pregnancy is so hard! But its all worth it in the end. Im just so glad that im almost done.
|

replied July 24th, 2006
Experienced User
Designergal-

oh yeah- no im not working anymore. Im a waitress and it was getting to hard. You?
|

replied July 24th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
designergal wrote:
brookes - you are due august 22 right? That is 1 day after me. If you have your baby now it will be considered pre-mature. I think around 38 weeks is when they consider the baby full-term. I do not think you would want to deliver a month early?? That is annoying about the contractions though. They can be so unfomfortable. If you are not dialating, they are probably just braxton hicks. Are you still working?

yea, I had my baby at the start of my 37th week. She was tiny at only 6.8. Sooo...If you can, try to let you angel cook a little longer!! You have to realize, that the baby is 2 weeks younger gestationally. So my baby was really only 35 weeks when she ws born. She wasn't breathing as good as they wanted her too and had to suction her more than normal. She also had marconium((she pooped)) so they had to make sure she didn't inhale any of that....

I wish to this day she wouldn't have come so early!!! But she's healthy now!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Brookes- has your doctor checked again to see if you have dialated? That is frustrating having to go through that pain but nothing is actually "happening" yet. I only have mild bh contractions every now and then so I cannot complain. I have consistently been measuring a week ahead, but they never changed my due date. Hmmm..Makes me wonder if she will come early. If you are going to have a big baby, it is probably best she comes out a little early or right at your due date! You don't want a 10 pounder ;)

my last day at work is august 3rd..I cannot wait. My husband is currently on deployment but they are letting him come home for 2 weeks. He does not fly home until the 15th though...She better stay in until then!
|

replied July 25th, 2006
Experienced User
I'm 35 weeks along. Is it normal for the doctor to not check to see if anything is going on with my cervix, or to see if anyhting is progressing? I think you guys know what I mean.
|

replied July 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Yes, it is normal. Unless you are at risk for premature labor, your doctor might not even check you. With my first pregnancy the doctor never checked me at all - until I went into labor. Labored for more than 12 hours and was dilated to 1/2! :(

with my daughter, the doctor checked me @ about 37 or 38 weeks and said I was at a stretchy 2 cm dilated and he'd see me any time. She was overdue by over a week. So you just never know.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Some doctors won't do an internal exam, since dilation/effacement isn't really accurate in determining when you'll go into labor, and I *think* that doing internal exams brings a slight risk of infection. Could be wrong about that though. You could always ask at your next appointment whether they plan to examine you.
|

replied July 25th, 2006
Experienced User
I am 36 weeks. My doctor started checking me last week. She said she will check every week from now on. I was dialated to 2 and was a -2. She said that my cervix was ripe. She said I would definetly deliver by by due date if not sooner!?!

I don't really think I have had any contractions, however my pelvis has really been hurting every once in a while and I get a tingling weird feeling in my lower stomach....

It's so hard not knowing what to expect...But I guess like everyone says you'll just know when your in labor!
|

replied July 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, I have my Dr. Appointment on thursday. We are going to talk about what we should do. Im in just so much pain. I dont understand. The contractions are crazy and so painful. I just dont understand what is going on. I feel like I have been in early labour for 3 weeks. I get 2 hours of sleep at night and then during the day I deal with my 3 year old son. Its been really hard.
|