Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Chronic Swollen Tonsil

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
I know this may sound crazy but I need some answers. I have one tonsil that stays larger than the other. My tonsils are very cryptic..I get the tonsil stones all the time. My question is... Would a blood test determine if I have tonsil cancer? I know alot of cancers are detected with the white and red blood cell count.. All that was ok with me. I have been to a oral surgeon, two diffrent ents and they have said everything is fine. I just dont understand the swollen tonsil with no pain. I also have a throat spasm that scares the hell out of me.. I have not asked for a biopsy because I figured they would tell me if I needed one. I have had a endoscopy done and everything there was fine. Yall let me know what yall think. I am a 26yr male.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2006
Ear, Nose & Throat Disorders Answer A1227
If you did have tonsil cancer you wouldn’t be able to write me this letter, believe me! Your blood tests results could determine and diagnose abnormalities and would have to be very bad to indicate cancer. It seems that you are experiencing hypertrophy of the one tonsil that is either congenital or has occurred as a result of chronic inflammation. There is nothing to be worried about. I recommend you to put the thought of “cancer” out of your mind and focus on stabilizing a psycho-emotional connection with the help of a mental health professional.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.