Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Breathing Difficulty

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
My friend died about 8 months ago and since then I have become more worried about my health because of it. I am only 20, the same age as my friend who died, of myocarditis by the way. I have been fine physically until one night, about 2 months ago I had a sort of attack, my heart was racing and I was just overcome by what I believed to be a panic attack. Next day I noticed breathing problems, I went to my regular doctor, who ran blood tests and checked me out, everything was fine. I then went to a cardiologist to check my heart which was fine too. Its been about a month or so now and I still feel this sensation of difficulty breathing. My doctor suggested I go to a psychiatrist, which I have, the psychiatrist beleives I have anxiety. Sometimes I feel that it may be allergies causing the breathing problems because I feel my nose passages are stuffed up. I took claritin d one time and it helped, the next time I took it, it did not help so much with the breathing problems.
Sorry if this is sooo long but I wanted to know if the breathing problems are associated with the anxiety or with allergies? I dont want to take claritin d if its not gonna help. Could taking claritin d cause problems if its not needed? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Bblair
|

replied July 26th, 2006
Ehh
Can anybody help me a little, does anyone else here with anxiety feel the same way I do. With feelings that breathing isnt right, but there is no wheezing and it isnt noticed by anyone else but me. Is anybody out there lol?
|

replied July 27th, 2006
Hello!!

I too suffer breathing problems, most notably an ongoing feeling of suffocation. Thinking back...This is the fourth time I have had this. The first time came along with panic at the tender age of 12 (im 16 now) went to the doctor who thought I had asthma, I was medicated and I dont remember really well...But I guess the feeling just eased. However last november had a really bad hyperventilation attack and had to go to the er where they concluded that I was physically healthy and had full oxygen uptake and that I actually didnt have asthma at all, nor allergies, which I had been previoulsy diagnosed with.

This was followed by the more or less constant feeling of suffocating for several weeks. I had such anxiety I just wanted to die, I just cant describe how awful it was, I nearly killed myself by heavily drinking. With time it eased and I cant remember the exact time it just went away it was a period of time stretching over weeks. Had a brief episode in february, which I dont remember really well. And then nothing up until last friday. I should know how to handle this better this time right? But its been 8 months free from this now...And I just grief over the problem so much cause it feels like I wont be ok...Though logically it will cause I felt eaxctly the same last time and hey, it got better.

I just wish I could be there for you and comfort you somehow, support is all we need...It will be ok, I never thought it would..But it will.
|

replied September 3rd, 2008
hi
hi bblair im also having same problem can u help me
|

sure i can help
what exactly are you having a problem with? list your fears, anxieties and symptoms. id love to help you.
|

hi
my name is pash ,i completed my study in 2006 .after tht im serarching for job.6 months back my heart beat increased suddenly.after10 minutesit willbe reduced after tht im facing difficulty in breathing,icant take enough air into lungs .every day im facing yhis probelm intaking breath.i consultedheart and lungs doctors they told tht u dont have any problem.may be i think due to depression or anxiety im getting this. still now i dont have any job i thing very serious about this but im healthy.i allways thinking about this pls give moe solution
|

pash
anyone i know dealing with anxiety i tell them to meditate. and do it daily. meditation is the most important tool in you conquering your anxiety.

next you need to calm down. although im sure its stressful not finding a job, it doesnt make it easier by worrying yourself to no end. all that worry leads to you feeling anxious and in turn, breathless. i suggest you learn to relax and then you will be able to put your mind to finding a job. it will come a bit easier if you worry less. worrying and anxiety only make the process harder and longer. relax my friend. relax

next thing i suggest is for you to exercise...go out running, get on the treadmill, any sort of excercise to release those pent up feelings and emotions running through your cluttered soul. a good dose of movement and heavy activity really can help clear the mind.

also eat well...i dont know how you eat but more fruits and veggies can help. eating good can help you be in a better mood.

im here if you need any help...any other questions?
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2008
I have difficulty breathing too
I'm so glad I read your stories. My problems started after a major abdominal surgery. The doctors I've gone to detected nothing wrong with me and did not relate it to the surgery. Reading all your comments, it seems as if major stressful events cause this problem.

One of the last doctors, an endocrinologist checked my nasal passages and said I was totally blocked and recommended surgery. So I went to an ENT and was going to get surgery but I met a woman at physical therapy and after talking to her about the surgery, she urged me not to get it as her husband got it done at UCLA med center and his breathing got worse. I'm glad I didn't get it done and instead, do saline nasal rinses, which helps with the congestion. And as Bblair suggested, I started walking and swimming and that is helping with my anxiety. And as also suggested by her, I'm also doing the breathing and meditation even for five minutes at a time.

Then I read a book in which the doctor talked about respiratory problems and how they can create a number of issues in the immune system. He is suggesting using a fungus reducing medication like Sporanox and Diflucan. Even though I'm against synthetic pharmaceutical medications for the havoc they have caused, I would like to try these. Right now I lost my job and don't have health insurance but I can't breathe properly and my mouth is dry and I'm sure it is due to the chronic sinusitis.

So please ask your doctor about this.

Best wishes!
|