Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Mulluscum Contagiosum

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
My daughter(4yr.Old) was recenlty diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum our family doctor did not give us much info. She scraped the bumps and sent us home after doing some of my own research I found many conflicting ideas on treatment, so I asked for a referal to a dermatologist, hwever they can not see her for 3 weeks, until then should I let her swim in the public pool, and go to gymnastics, or will the bumps become infected, and scar, or be transmited to another child? How easy could she spread it to her sister(7mths.)? Also shouldn't the doctor cleaned the area before cutting, and isn't there something they could have given her for pain
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 29th, 2006
Molluscum Contagiosum
I hate it when doctors dont give you then info that you need. Often, I always leave a doctor's office with a lot of questions that are unanswered. When I have a medical question that I want to know, I usally go to the american academy of dermatology's site. Here is an article on what your daughter has: http://www.Aad.Org/public/publications/pam phlets/molluscumcontagiosum.Htm

i think this paragrpah can answer some of your questions "how do you get molluscum? The molluscum virus is transmitted from the skin of one person who has these growths to the skin of another person. It occurs most often in cases where skin-to-skin contact is frequent, in young children — especially among siblings, or in swimming pools. If growths are present in the genital area, molluscum can be sexually transmitted. "

it appears to be contagious, especially in swimming pools so I would definetly check out the article for more information.
|

replied September 29th, 2008
mulloscum in children
Hi.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with mulloscum-it started with 2 bumps and within 6 weeks she had close to 50-60 bumps up both of her legs and on her buttocks.
I saw one dermatologist who wanted my to do the scrape thing-EVIL process.
Immediately after seeing the above dermatologist my husband and I decided to contact the dermatologist at the Denver Children's Hospital.
She used a beetle juice extract on each bump. Two visits and the mulloscum was gone.
There have been no other bumps in the last two years. Do not waste your time or money on any other treatment. The silver treatments do not work and the scraping methods can be sooo avoided. Take your child to the best dermatologist around that will use this treatment.
|

replied May 4th, 2009
Molluscum Contagiosum
please give me more details about beetle juice for treating Molluscum
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2009
Molluscum Contagiosum Help
My 5 year old has had molluscum for about 1year now. They started on her elbow and arm. I took her to her pediatrician and was told it was Molluscum Contagiosum. She froze them and said they should be gone in a few weeks. Well that treatment did not work. They seemed to spread and the doctor burned her badly on one of them.
My daughter was in so much pain.
I myself work for an OB/GYN and remembered 3 patients who the doctor had diagnosed with MC. I remembered that he simply took a sterile needle (used for drawing blood)and pricked each bump. He asked that they return in two months for follow up. Each came back clear of MC.
The doctor I work for is 71 years old and so experienced that I had no doubt that if I did the same to my daughter they would go away.
I took home a few needles and when she was asleep I pricked all of them. Each one had a little blood. I sent her to school with long sleeves for a few days.
About a week after pricking them they erupted, 1 of them became very red and raised so i put some neosporin and a loose gauze over it. I am happy to say my daughter is now free of MC. She has some pock marks just like when you get chicken pocks but ide rather her have those than be tortured with freezing & frost bite burns.
Another thing is that no one in my family had MC or contracted it from my daughter. I sleep with her and hug her all the time. She does have her own towels though, everyone in the house has their own.
I think the less invasive method is best for children.
|

replied June 16th, 2013
Mulluscum
Both of my children have had this awful condition. My son initially had this around his lower abdomen. He was in diapers and the condition spread around the waist band area. Our doctors would not treat and said that it would eventually clear up by itself. We went on holiday in the sun, and let my boy loose on the beach naked. I believe the combination of sun sand and salt water helped as the mulluscum cleared up within two weeks. That being said he does have scars still from some of the lumps.

My Daughter (6 YO) was recently diagnosed with the same but i was determined to treat so that she would not be left scarred. There are various potions available online but a theme i picked up on was tee tree oil. I found this really difficult to get hold of but a local supermarket had a tee tree oil stick deodorant. We tried this and within two weeks of using it daily, directly on the area that was affected the mulluscum cleared up. Not sure if it was the fact it dried the area or the oil attacking the mulluscum.. The deodorant stick cost only 3.00 I hope this helps..
|

replied June 16th, 2013
Mulluscum
Both of my children have had this awful condition. My son initially had this around his lower abdomen. He was in diapers and the condition spread around the waist band area. Our doctors would not treat and said that it would eventually clear up by itself. We went on holiday in the sun, and let my boy loose on the beach naked. I believe the combination of sun sand and salt water helped as the mulluscum cleared up within two weeks. That being said he does have scars still from some of the lumps.

My Daughter (6 YO) was recently diagnosed with the same but i was determined to treat so that she would not be left scarred. There are various potions available online but a theme i picked up on was tee tree oil. I found this really difficult to get hold of but a local supermarket had a tee tree oil stick deodorant. We tried this and within two weeks of using it daily, directly on the area that was affected the mulluscum cleared up. Not sure if it was the fact it dried the area or the oil attacking the mulluscum.. The deodorant stick cost only 3.00 I hope this helps..
|

replied June 16th, 2013
Mulluscum

|

replied June 16th, 2013
Mulluscum

|