Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

I'm Sick And Tired of Being Sick And Tired.

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi everyone, I have an 18 year old daughter who has bi polar (2) and borderline personality disorder. Home life is pretty horrific and I spend half my life feeling sick - waiting for the next eppisode, drama, police knocking on the door, or ringing, the next broken knuckles or black eye that she will walk in the house with, and this is usually after dissappearing for a few days. And the other half of my life is fixing up the destruction that she leaves behind. On top of this I have a 13year old whom luckily takes most of the upheaval in her stride, and a husband who is a shift worker. I am desperately trying to stay on top of my job, but if I am really honest with myself, I am not always coping to well. My 18 will not do much at all if anything, and associates with 15 years old, and is probably arround 14 - 15 years emotionally, and my 13 year old is around 18 years emotionally, its like they have done a swap.The 18 year old is on medication and although she is now able to sleep and has stopped cutting her wrists, it really dosnt help with the mood swings, any way I can ramble on for hours, but what I am trying to say is that, I am so tired and sick of being on the same merry go round and it never seems to change, I have no life, and then I feel guilty because I feel this way, its just a never ending cycle. We have finally got her into a youth mental health facility which she visits once a week, which is great, but only today we had to take her to hospital in the emergency dept and she started carrying on that she was the only one sick and there was nothing wrong with anyone else, now you have to imagine this was full voice (and a loud one at that) in a packed out emergency dept, I just wanted to curl up in a ball and die :oops: . Are there anyother mums who can relate to this. I would give my last breath to my kids, but I dont know how much more I can cope with, now I feel guilty again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 28th, 2006
Experienced User
You did her a great favour by helping her get in the youth mental health facility.............Now you can try to get more time there or elsewhere. Being a good mom is also knowing when to let others help you, there's organizations out there that a designed for just that........Being a worn-out burnt-out mom isn't doing her or the rest of your family any good. The 13 year old needs you, your hubby needs you and you need to take care of yourself. No guilt, your doing a great job, hang in there mom!
|

replied August 6th, 2006
This Could Help!
Hi
I have just read your problem and I might be able to help in some way.
First would be to get all the toxic chemicals out of your home and I mean the different cleaners and other proudicts you use. Do do this I would like you to please cantact me has I do have some great info and testimoials I could show you. So please feel free to contact me.

I hope I can help Smile

edit
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
You might try seeking a support group...I know that there is one in the u.S. Called coda (co-dependents anonymous), or al-anon. I understand that your issue may not be dealing with a chemcial addiction, per se...But you seem wrapped up into your daughter's life so much that you do not have one for yourself. These 12-step progams can teach you how to create some distance in your love. Feel free to pm me if you want some more info.

Peace.
|

replied August 22nd, 2006
I'm so sorry for that. I am 15 and was just diagnosed as having bipolar disorder, following a diagnosis of ocd, my father also suffers from bipolar 2 disorder. I agree completely. Its so difficult to be in this situation, and puts such heartache into you, when you have to see your daughter deal with this and other disorders. I really wish I could help as much as possible, I know so many others in similiar situations and they and their families suffer incomprehensibly. The best you can do is be there and help the remainder of your family, because I think many parents underestimate their value and how much they have already helped their children, and all they have done for them. If you can find long term treatment centers it is the best option. I dont have full information for this but please hold on. The burden of these mental disorders can seem unbearable, but family support is incredibly important, but help other members of your family as best as possible. <3
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2011
Im an eighteen year old girl who still lives with my mum. i have bipolar too.

i dont even know where to start but i want to apologise on behalf of fellow bipolar suffers.
it kills me when i loose my crap at mum and put her through my crap. i always apologise but i bet she is feeling the same as you. i think the best thing is to talk with fellow parents of bipolar children. my mum should be doing this but wont. Sad
|