Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Neuropathy

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
My son was issued boots two sizes too small while in the army. He was diagnosed with neuropathy in both feet. Since he was discharged 20 months ago the nerve damage has traveled up to his hip area. After ncs, cat scan, mri and blood work he is being told he has 6-9 months to live. They are saying it is possible it is going to travel throught the central nervous system and things can go wrong real fast. Is this possible from nerve damage in the feet? Help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 21st, 2006
When you mentioned the military my hair stood on end. My husband was in the military for 15 years and we lived in military housing for almost the same amount of time. My husband now has m.S, one daughter has kidney disease,severs life threatening asthma, thyroid disease and heart problems, a pituitary growth and seizures. Another daughter, severe asthma and re-occuring ovarian cysts and uterine cancer cells. Another daughter, diabetes at age 2. Myself, thyroid disease and axon nueropathy. All in one family. :!: ....Coincidence?

First, why on earth would your son be issues boots too sizes too small? The military has an excess of supplies . I'm sure that would cause some damage to circulation. Has he always been stationed in the us?

Did he request an emg? And biopsies of the sural nerve and gastocnemius muscle? This may help pin point what is actually going on. I am waiting on my results now.
If neuropathy is a death sentence I need to be panicing now. I have just been diagnosised with axon neuropathy. I had no idea I couldnt feel cold. Or the numerous days with pins and needles were due to neuropathy. I also found excuses for not being able to stand on my toes without pain. I convinced myself I was out of shape.
From what I have been reading neuropathy is a nuisance and partially diplitating. Keep your research going and read, read, read. I lived on military bases for over 14 years and have learned to educate myself at the level of the doctor. And go in with a list of questions and suggested tests.

The military will not admit any wrong doing. Good luck to your son and don't give up. I am searching for my answers and will continue for many years to come. It is frightening to not have the answers. Each morning I panic this may be the day I get worse, but I try to look forward to all my good days
|

replied August 21st, 2006
Neuropathy
Rosie7....Hang in there....Every case is different to a great extent....My son was stationed in the u.S. I have joined neuropathy.Org and they have sent me valuable information and related cases very similar to my son. One was about a female, joined the military and came out with similar symptoms....Feet numbness and arm numbness...Her complaints were dismissed for several months until her conditions got worse....She is now out of the military.....Boots and backpack seemed to have been what caused her situation as well....Yes the military will think these soilders are making stuff up in order to get out of boot camp! That's why their complaints were ignored.....My son was only in for 18 months...It was only finally acknowledged when he finished boot camp and was in training that a officer noticed his civilian shoes were bigger then his issued boots....Then they realized he wasn't lying and truly had a problem....6-7 months later and the damage was done....Only on one page of his medical records do they (military) note 'boots issued too small'....Everyone i've spoken with has indicated that neuropathy is usually not fatal only compremised...That compremising is what can do the most harm....I.E. Diabeties, hiv, drugs, alcohol, etc. Also they have suggested he may have autonomic neuropathy....Which could explain alot....Anyway...There is so much we don't know about this disease...Have you tried seeing someone at johns hopkins in baltimore, md? I hear they are great....Trying there, but will be sending my son to un. Of md. Medical center until we can get an appointment....Don't really trust the va drs.
|

replied September 6th, 2006
How are things now? Cos you might want to consider treatment in singapore where they have really good healthcare .. Neuros and all. And besides it's cheaper than in us.
|

replied February 13th, 2007
Neurology
Hi friends,
i have been suffering for some mental stiffness and and lacking memory status day by day.Fortunately,during browsing I got some information about to make my nervous system strong.I used this herbal product before some day and it works amzingly.If some of my friends are suffering of these problems then make sure to visit this page.May this help

for further information:bacopin
http://www.Herbs-wholesale.Com/bacopin-347 1.Html
|