Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Took a Pill 12 Hours Late After Intercourse In Morning

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hello, I am very afraid because yesterday, I had sex in the morning and then accidentally took my pill 12 hours later than usual! I took it at midnight instead of noon. It was the 7th active pill in my orthocyclen. Could I have gotten pregnant in those 12 hours???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Bump!

Does anyone know?
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You do not get pregnant in 12 hours, not even 3 days!! You see, if you were to ovulate it would take 6-14 days for the egg to implant, and then you would be pregnant.

You took the pill 12 hours late, but you are still protected! If you had taken it 24 hours late then you may have had problems with spotting etc...

It is highly doubtful you would have ovulated at all!
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Thank you for your post! So, if we don't ovulate while taking birth control pills, then how is it that we have a "period" during the week that we take placebos? I was under the impression that women still have a nornal menstrual cycle even though they take the pill.
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
mostly_afraid wrote:
thank you for your post! So, if we don't ovulate while taking birth control pills, then how is it that we have a "period" during the week that we take placebos? I was under the impression that women still have a nornal menstrual cycle even though they take the pill.

your sugar pills don't have any hormones in them, and after a few days of not taking them, you start to have your period. Your mentrual cycle is not normal while you are on bcp, considering you do not ovulate. That is how pregnancy is prevented. Your periods are probably also lighter and last a shorter amount of time. That is one of the wonderful benefits of birth control! ;)
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Thanks! I think i'm understanding this better now. Where the blood flow comes from if there is no real ovulation is still a mystery to me, but perhaps a womans body just needs to shed stuff whether or not ovulation happens.
|

replied June 28th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Actually the blood flow is a "withdrawal bleed" you could take the pill for months staright and never get a period unless you quit taking them.

You can fairly easily skip blood flow on monophasic pills, but triphasic pills are harder to skip on due to the change.

Many women have taken birth control and not had a period for years...

All the blood flow is a withdrawal bleed from lack of hormones..Which is why if you missed 2-3 pills you would bleed or spot.

Many women who miss 1 pill will spot, because the hormones lower.

That is how the pill works it stops ovulation!
|

replied June 29th, 2006
carifairy wrote:
actually the blood flow is a "withdrawal bleed" you could take the pill for months staright and never get a period unless you quit taking them.

You can fairly easily skip blood flow on monophasic pills, but triphasic pills are harder to skip on due to the change.

Many women have taken birth control and not had a period for years...

All the blood flow is a withdrawal bleed from lack of hormones..Which is why if you missed 2-3 pills you would bleed or spot.

Many women who miss 1 pill will spot, because the hormones lower.

That is how the pill works it stops ovulation!

thanks for the info!
|

replied December 21st, 2008
I took the pill 15 hours late and now I'm spotting.
Is there a change I could get pregnant after failing to take my pill on time? I took it 15 hours later than usual, and now I'm spotting. (I have 6 more combined pills to take from my pack, and then the placebo).

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
|