Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Undiagnosed Bilateral Swelling In the Arms

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
I am a 31 year old male who has some odd symptoms that cannot be identified. The symptoms started with a sore forearm last tuesday. I went to sleep and woke at 2am with a 102 fever. The aches and swelling were in both my forearms and my biceps. After two days I went to my gp and she said it was bacterial and gave me amox clav. By then, my fever had reduced to 99.1 and aches continued and spread to my calves and my hips. I called my gp again on saturday and he sent me to the er. They ran a blood test to show I had a ck level in my blood 3x normal. They told me to drink plenty of water and to come back if my urine turned "tea like". Well, I did as they said and I never had tea like urine, but the aches and swelling have continued to spread.

The doctor ruled out rhabdomyolysis because my urine did not contain any blood. I am waiting on the blood tests back, but frankly this worries me. My sister said a friend at work had something similiar, but she didn't know what it was. Anyone heard of anything like this? Any cures?

The pain and swelling in my arm are visible from across the room. My arms are rigid, swollen and very weak. It feels like I have been lifting weights too much and my arms are full of lactic acid. There are noticible bumps at the sites of the inflammation.

Right now, other than general fatigue and the swelling/aches and muscle fatigue I don't have any other symptoms. It is very bizarre. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
allisean
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Have you ever got diagnosed? I have same issue and been running around from one doctor to another without any success
|

replied January 4th, 2012
Bilateral swelling
well in May of last year I came home from a holiday in Italy, and was suffering from a viral infection, cold, sore throat, fatigue etc. A month later I developed a painfull thumb, and knees and had bilateral swelling of the forearms, hands, ankles. I was seen by different doctors as symptoms lasted for two weeks and was told it was polyarthralgia, & reactive arthritis from the viral infection. I had similar lapses throughout the year and blood test showed a positive ana my doctor diagnosed me as having SLE. He would not refer me to a consultant to have seond opinion of my symptoms. I spent June till October in a state of worry & anxiety knowing I had this condition and having to research info myself with how best I could minimise symptoms. In Oct I changed GP and he referred me to consultant and I was told I did not have lupus (SLE) I had post viral arthritis and my symptoms would settle down and dissepate. Whilst I was so glad to hear I did not have lupus I did live as if I had for all those months. I have just recently had a bad cold due to winter viruses etc and I had bilateral swelling of arms, wrists, ankles. So my GP has just repeated all my blood tests. I hope something shows up. I can empathise with anyone who has undiagnosed symptoms, as it causes uncertainity and worry. A big help is an efficient GP who understands. I am a positive and forward thinking person and have been all my life, I live a healthy lifestyle and work full-time in the health profession. I can say that having to live with uncertainty and worry about ones health is the most dissabling of it all. Best Wishes to all out there in a similar situation as me. I will keep posting when I know more x
|