Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

antiseptic smell when crying

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I know this sounds insane, but i've noticed that over the past 8months or so, if I start crying my nose tingles and I smell this weird anticeptic or cleaning agent or something like that right when the tears are welling up in my eyes. What is this??? I have never heard of such a thing before and it's really weirded me out. I want to know what's causing it and if it means anythings wrong with me. And for you smart ass people out there, no, it's not because i'm cleaning when I start crying.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper matty808
|

replied January 16th, 2004
Experienced User
Weird Smell
I would go to an ear nose and throat doctor to see if you had a sinus infection.
|

I don't think it's a sinus infection b/c I can breath fine and I haven't been stuffy or anything. Also, why would I have a sinus infection for like 8 months? Thank you for the suggestion anyway though. Smile
|

Somebody out there has to have heard of this or can at least help me by asking someone who might know. I'm going insane worrying about this. Why would I smell anticeptic when I first start crying??? It doesn't make sense.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
I also get a smell like T.C.P. in my nose when I come indoors when its cold outside, any ideas?
|

replied November 9th, 2010
well you're definitely not insane because i found this page looking for the exact phenomenon, though i may be 6 years a little too late. i smell that antiseptic rubbing alcohol smell right when my eyes water up (although i don't think i always smell it, i occasionally do). It seems like this isn't too common an occurrence because this is the only site on google I found about this.
|

replied April 27th, 2014
I just searched it and found this. I also found it on yahoo, but they won't allow me to respond. I smell rubbing alcohol in my tears. I smell it in my nose and throat and in the air around my face when I cry. I just broke up with someone I love. Am an older lady. Have never experienced such a thing until this breakup.
|

replied April 15th, 2011
This happens to me, too... has anyone heard anything about it?
|

replied May 18th, 2011
It just happened to me, so I started looking and found this page also! Has anyone found anything insightful about this?
|

replied October 1st, 2011
Me too
The same thing has been happening to me and I have no idea why. It is only if i get teary eyed or cry. It started after i had some moles removed (which required a numbing shot, so idk if that has anything to do with it but that was 8 months ago and it hasn't stopped) Anyone know anything helpful. My doctor said shes never heard of anything like that.
|

replied January 11th, 2013
The same thing happens to me! Can't seem to find any info anywhere, but I'm not worried enough about it to see a doctor, either... at least we know we're not alone, right? Ha.
|

replied February 28th, 2013
Rubbing alcohol here too!
This has been happening to me for about 5 years. It doesn't happen all the time. It's straight up rubbing alcohol smell for two seconds then gone! Someone in the medical field has to know something.
|

replied September 18th, 2013
Rubbing alcohol smell before tears!!
I found this page because I wanted to see if I was the only one and I'm obviously not!! For the past several years anytime I tear up I smell rubbing alcohol first and then the tears come. I've spoken to a neurologist about it and he said he's never heard of it before. I wish I knew why this happens...
|

replied November 8th, 2013
Same thing
I swear to god I've been searching for an answer to this for ages. What can possibly be the reason? Should we see neurologists?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh