Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia: Do You Have It? Quiz

I thought it might be fitting to post a hypoglycemic quiz for those who suspect they might be hypoglycemic.

This test is from the book the dos and don'ts of hypoglycemia by roberta ruggiero.

Hypoglycemia quiz: diet/symptom diary

regarding the symptoms below, please mark (1) if you have this condition mildly, (2) if moderate, and (3) if severe. If you do not have a symptom, leave it blank. The accuracy of this questionnaire depends upon complete honesty and serious objective thought in answering the questions. (many of these symptoms may relate to other health problems).

1. Abnormal craving for sweets
2. Afternoon headaches
3. Allergies: tendency to asthma, hay fever, skin rash, etc.
4. Awaken after a few hours sleep/difficulty getting back to sleep
5. Aware of breathing heavily
6. Bad dreams
7. Blurred vision
8. Brown spots or bronzing of skin
9. "butterfly stomach", cramps
10. Difficulty making decisions
11. Need coffee/caffeine to start morning
12. Unable to work under pressure
13. Chronic fatigue
14. Chronic nervous exhaustion
15. Convulsions
16. Crave candy or coffee in afternoons
17. Cry easily for no apparent reason
18. Depressed
19. Dizziness, giddiness or light-headedness
20. Drink more than three cups of coffee or cola a day
21. Get hungry or feel faint unless you eat frequently
22. Eat when nervous
23. Feel faint if meal is delayed
24. Fatigue relieved by eating
25. Fearful
26. Get "shaky" if hungry
27. Hallucinations
28. Hand tremor (or trembles)
29. Heart palpitations if meals are missed or delayed
30. Highly emotional
31. Nibble between meals because of hunger
32. Insomnia
33. Inward trembling
34. Irritable before meals
35. Lack of energy
36. Moods of depression, "blues" or melancholy
37. Poor memory or ability to concentrate
38. Reduced initiative
39. Sleepy after meals
40. Drowsy during the day
41. Weakness, dizziness
42. Worrier, feel insecure
43. Symptoms of hypoglycemia appear before eating

add the total of all answers. A total score of less than (20) is within normal limits. A higher score is evidence of probable hypoglycemia and would indicate further testing (glucose tolerance test).
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tygrbabi
|

replied June 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah, this is a brief quiz. There are others that are more detailed and include symptoms like "feeling like your dying" and "heaviness in your limbs" but this is the only one I had access to.

Hopefully, people will take this and go get tested or better yet, for those who can't afford a gtt will take this quiz and say "hmm, maybe I should try stan's diet" :)
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Definitely, good thinking!
|

replied June 28th, 2006
What does asthma have to do with hypoglycemia? I had never heard that. I have asthma, btw.
|

replied July 16th, 2013
I have asthma and I can say that it is much worse with eating things that flare up my reactive hypoglycemia. That is just my experience.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2006
Community Volunteer
It's hard to say for sure, but i'm not surprised with any symptom. The body is in such havoc that anything can happen. I'm going to guess that because of the low sugar and possible effect on the immune system and such, it just makes the body sensitive to activity in certain people and whatever else may cause asthma for you.
|

replied June 28th, 2006
I am going to attempt to respond to bravotango's question. I started a post (see "difficulty taking a deep breath"). Some hypoglycemics experience difficulty breathing. I had it...And before I found out what was causing my symptoms , I had trouble breathing for years. But it wasn't asthma and it felt different from asthma. I should know, I have asthma but only with cats. And the shortness of breath would get worse or better during the day. It depended. But it did not depend on the season or to exposure to any allergens
the only explanation that I have come across is that repeated hyperinsulinism can cause microvascular angina - a constriction of blood vessels to the heart. Diabetics can get it too if they don't regulate their insulin doses properly. This constriction of the blood vessels to the heart -which is reversible- somehow makes it so that the body cannot get rid of carbon dioxide at the rate it should. Hence the shortness of breath. Remember that the heart and blood are also involved in respiration. People with severe anemia can also experience shortness of breath even if their lungs function normally
|

replied April 10th, 2011
is it bad
is having a score of 69 on this quiz bad ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
|

replied April 10th, 2011
is it bad
is having a score of 69 on this quiz bad ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
|

replied April 20th, 2011
I suffer from all of the above
|

replied May 2nd, 2011
I got 69 too
|

replied July 18th, 2011
I scored 89 on this quiz.

It's gotten so bad that I start crying and panicking if I can't eat because I know that I'll feel worse than crap if I don't eat and get hungry. I feel like my stomach drops suddenly, then I get nauseous, pale, shaky (incredibly shaky, where I can't stop and can't even hold a pencil). Even after I eat, if I had gotten to the point where I was shaking and nauseous, then I feel like I've been hit by a bus and can barely move, like I'm living underwater. And all I want to do is sleep all day. A co-worker told me it sounds like I'm depressed, but I've never had depression until I stopped trusting my body to function as it should!

I have no idea why this is happening to my body, and I have no idea what to do about it. I don't have health insurance yet, so I haven't been to see a doctor. I should be eligible for my health insurance through work in about two months (I've already started paying for it, but you have to pay for three months before you can actually benefit from it), but it is getting to the point where I have trouble performing my work. What is Stan's diet? I'll be willing to try anything right now!!
|

replied July 18th, 2011
I got 81 on the quiz

I feel the exact same way. If you find out anything about the 'stans' diet then can you kindly pass on the info to me. I would really appreciate it. Do you think I should tell my mam since I got such a high score? I don't want to worry her if it turns out to be nothing.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
I got 81 on the quiz

I feel the exact same way. If you find out anything about the 'stans' diet then can you kindly pass on the info to me. I would really appreciate it. Do you think I should tell my mam since I got such a high score? I don't want to worry her if it turns out to be nothing.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
I got 82...when speaking to my GP I was told to eat more at regular intervals....nice
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Uh oh!
I am a 14 year old girl and i got 73. Woops!
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
I got a 92 omg
|

replied July 24th, 2012
I got 59 I'm a 24 yo female
|

replied June 9th, 2013
Hypoglycemia
I got 58 and I am a 13 year old girl. I have had symptoms of hypoglycemia my entire life, such as passing out if I don't eat, shakiness, light-headedness multiple times a day, and headaches very frequently. I haven't gotten a test done yet but my doctor is almost certain that I have hypoglycemia.
I am in decent shape seeing that I am 5'9" and only weigh 125 pounds, plus I am very active, doing four sports a year.
Hypoglycemia has run in my family; My grandfather had it, my dad has it, and I have it, but my case is much more severe than my family ever thought it would turn out to be. We are just worried that at some point this could turn into diabetes because that is what happened to my grandfather and we haven't had testing done so obviously we don't know exactly what is going on. I have been fine for the past four years, but I just get frightened sometimes because I have passed out in the shower three times now, and I just never know if I am going to be okay or not.
|

replied June 11th, 2013
whats your current diet?
|