Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

When Do Periods Become Regular?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi all, I have a question regarding my period & hopefully won't come off as extremely ignorant. :| any help would be appreciated....

Basically, I was wondering at what age I should expect my menstrual period to become a regular, recurring cycle? I know that one should expect their period from ages 12-16, but I am 17 and my first period occurred at age 13 -- and it definitely is not regular. I have not gotten it in almost a year! Furthermore, will I have to go on the pill if I tell my doctor this & she prescribes it to regulate my period?

Please, I would appreciate any advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2006
Your Normal
If your body doesn't have a period that often whos to say it should? I really disagree with the idea of doctors trying to regulate periods. I started my period when I was 16 and had it 3 times a year until I had children. And it was always very random and totally unpredictable.
After I had kids and somehow I think just having sex helped to regulate it so now I have a period either every 40 days or every 60. My body still hasn't decided if it wants to do 40 or 60 so I never know. Both times I decided to take a pregnancy test I was already 2.5 months along!

Ha. There are a lot of normal women out there with abnormal peroids.
|
Did you find this post helpful?