Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Healthy Guy With "loud" Heart Murmur

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
I recently went to my doctor for a follow-up visit regarding my acid reflux. They took my pulse and blood-pressure and then listened to my lungs and heart. We were chit-chatting while he was doing this until he started listening to my heart. "whoa, listen to that murmur.", he said. Since I can't recall if anyone has ever told me I have a heart murmur, he suggested that I get an echocardiogram (ecg). Also, my blood pressure was higher than I thought it would be, about 132 (i forget the other number). My resting heart rate is about 57.

I'm a 25 year old male who doesn't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I don't drink coffee and my diet is pretty good. I work out intensely 6 days a week doing martial arts, weightlifting, running, and wrestling. I also have no family history of heart disease. I feel great, too. No symptoms at all.

I have an appointment for an ecg next week, but the demeanor of my doctor has me spooked. He said it was a rather loud heart murmur.

I'm just wondering what the odds are that I have some weird heart deformity or disease. Are "loud" heart murmurs a sign of trouble, generally? Keep in mind that my blood pressure is also somewhat high for someone like me.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 30th, 2006
Experienced User
Hey, have you had the echocardiogram done yet?
I'm no expert, and I don't think anyone on this site can really tell you the cause of the murmur as they haven't heard it themselves (best to talk to your doctor if you are worried). Although from what I understand murmurs above a certain level usually don't have an innocent cause, so the echocardiogram is a good idea, although you shouldn't worry, the fact that you have no physical symptoms other than the murmur is a good sign.
|

replied July 31st, 2006
Hey, delancey- yes, I had the ecg and the doctor said that everything looked perfectly healthy and he didn't even notice a heart murmur! I think the original doctor was just playing the "referral game" with me :evil: :? :(
|