Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Is Mid-Back Pain caused by Kidney or Liver?...I'm a heavy Dr

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I am experiensing pain in my mid back, right side, I drink hevally and shouldn't. I also work outside and probably don't drink enough water. The pain has gotten worse tonight and I was trying to find out if it could be liver pain or kidney pain? I'm not sure on my anatomy. If I place my hand on my back with my thumb on the botom of my ribs and my fingers on my spine, as I draw the fingers to the thumb I can feel the painful spot. It has also just started with a slight shooting pain. Any Ideas.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A1149
The pain could originate from anywhere. It seems that the pain may be caused by the lumbar muscles (muscles of the lower back). You can request an abdominal ultrasound and an x-ray image of the lumbar vertebral column in order to have a diagnosis and begin treatment. If you feel that you are drinking too much, you might try to stop. If you are unable to stop drinking for an extended period of time, you can seek help from any number of alcohol treatment centers, mental health professionals, or support groups (like Alcoholics Anonymous). Chemical addiction (whether it be to alcohol, stimulants, depressants, etc.) is a medical condition and is treated as such.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.