Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Loss of Appetite During Pregnancy

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I've majorly lost my appetite recently, I hardly eat anything, and I know I need to for my baby's sake.. Does anyone have any advice of how I can sort this out, every time I eat something I just end up either being sick or feeling sick for the rest of the day.

I used to love food so much but i've lost loads of weight since becoming pregnant, and i'm worried for my baby. Yesterday I was out shopping and I nearly passed out coz my blood sugar was low, I went all shaky and I had to sit down.

Any advice would be appreciated =)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2006
Experienced User
Oi. So your eating was normal before hand? Did you eat regular meals thru out the day? It sounds like to me that you may just need to force yourself. Even if it isnt the healthiest stuff at least eat something.. Take a few bites and put it away.. And then in 15 minutes try again. Just try and do that... I know it can make it worse. Are you having really bad morning sickness? I heard some people lose weight in pregnancy because they get sick so much. I also think you should talk to the doc. I hope you feel better =0(
|

replied June 16th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
If there is anything you can eat then just go all out with that. When I couldn't keep food down i'ld just eat a lot of bananas and granny smith apples since they never gave me trouble when other things did. At some points it felt like I had to choose between hunger pains and feeling sick after and while eating. It was so bad. Now it's a bit better, i've started throwing up more often but i've noticed there are trigger foods for that such as milk products and beef. I don't even attempt to eat chicken because I can't even think or read the word without feeling a sick. It's weird but if you find anything you can eat i'ld say just go with it, even if it's not the healthiest atleast your getting something in. I found drinking a lot of water helped me too.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2006
Supporter
Thanks guys.. Yeah I did eat normally before I got pregnant, so this is quite a shock to my system. I can eat cereal and fruit, so i'm mainly eating that at the moment.. But my mum still makes my meals and because she's so annoyed at me for being pregnant she goes mad at me when I leave food on my plate. She's not being very understanding.. Which is stupid because I know when she was pregnant with my sister she had terrible morning sickness, so you'd think she'd relate to my situation, but apparently not.

Certain foods like chicken noodles *blerrrrgh* really turn my stomach now.. I used to love them, but now even the thought of eating them makes me feel sick. I used to love pasta, but I struggle to keep that down now, too.

This sucks, I wanna love food like I used to =(
|

replied June 17th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I felt like that at the end of my pregnancy, I didnt feel hungry at all, and when I ate something cos I knew I needed it, then I felt sick. Wasnt good, but drinking water helps, and small amounts of food throughout the day if you can.
|

replied June 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Only eat things that u are really wanting...If that is nothing then the dryest things u can get like crackers or drinking milk is very good for u as its classed as a food on its own.Also in england u can get stuff called complan,its a powder that u mix with iether milk or water and it has loads of vitamins and minerals in that are alright to use while pregnant.People drink that who have been ill to build themselves back upthis should pass and hopefully u will start noticing some cravings.Good luck,m me if u need to talk.
|

replied June 19th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hun, I was really ill during the beginning pregnancy and I lost a lot of weight. Once I got better I regained the 20 lbs that I had lost in the beginning and now I have only gained 7 lbs more than my before pregnancy weight.

I have kept loosing the 7 lbs and then I go back up and then I go back down, but now I have regained the 4 of the 7 lbs and that 4 lbs has stuck. But I dont' eat a lot. I tried eating a morning snack (before work) than breakfast once I got to work, then lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, then a snack before bed. Now all I do is eat breakfast lunch and dinner and if I want something else I eat it. But now I feel as long as I eat three meals a day I will be fine.

My doctor told me that it was ok as long as my uterus and the baby were measuring right. So as long as your uterus is measureing correctly then you should be fine unless you are under weight. +

you'll do fine.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2006
Supporter
Ok, thanks.. I have a scan on thursday, so i'll find out if there's a problem then.. I hope there isn't, i've tried really hard to eat as much as I can, just having snacks throughout the day. So far it seems to be working, I haven't been sick that much and i've felt slightly better. I just can't wait til I don't feel sick at all anymore!
|

replied June 22nd, 2006
I had a really hard time eating when I was pregnant too (not just the start though.. The whole pregnancy.. And a little after lol). Its not that I got sick though I just really wasn't hungry.. So I put myself on a kind of time schedual, I knew I wasn't going to be hungry so every 3 or 4 hours I made sure that I ate something healthy. I've heard a couple other girls say that when they were pregnant they couldnt eat too.. I wouldnt worry about it.. And im pretty sure u can take something to make the sickness go away..
|

replied March 14th, 2009
I'm having the same kind of problems. I'm seven weeks along, I have no appetite, and I also have no hunger pains. The thought of any type of food repulses me!!!
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Hey
I was just wondering if you are 4 months soon 5, and all of a sudden you just dont have an appetite what do you do, I mean I cant get nothing eaten at all even when I'm hungry I just cant get nothing eaten at all. Can you all ladies tell me what can help Wink. Thanks in advance.
Debs
|

replied May 19th, 2009
hey
am in my 7 th week and i cant eat anything,only bananas sometimes..i force my self to eat one meal,but sometimes i cannot, this made me depressed,am worried about myself and the baby..no one could help me..i went to the hospital,i was dehydrated and my blood sugar was law.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Really Old post
Hey just fyi this post is from back in 2006. Her baby is turning 3 in November. And Her second on is turning 1 a couple days later.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I have the same problem!! and trust me i love to eat, so its just weird I don't feel hungry, but im not sure if i am pregnant yet, I took tests and they were negative but my period is still missed and my breasts are tender and ive been super sleepy just wanting to lay around. and the not wanting to eat thing is really scaring me, reallyy!!
|