Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Yellow Fingernails

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I am in my 30's a non smoker and just recently I noticed my fingernails turning yellow. Is this a vitamine deficiency or a sign of something worse like diabetes???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Suzy
|

replied August 21st, 2003
Experienced User
The former. The pigment underneath your nails naturally requires adequate amounts of vitamins e and d to sustain normal complexion.

Or it could be a fungus. Or a slight skin discoloration. In either case, a dermatologist could help if your condition worsens.

Patrick
|

replied August 24th, 2003
Fingernails can also turn yellow, if a person wears nail polish for an extended amount of time. Don't assume the discoloration is from the polish, just to be safe. Infection is a possibility, too. Best to have it checkd out by an experienced doctor. Good luck. Smile
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Im not sure what could be wrong, but ive heard rubbing a lemon over your nails can take away the yellow coloring!
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Nail Polish
Vanessa,

bekkit is absolutley right about the fingernail polish. I went to my doctor because my nails were getting a yellowish tinge to them, and they she asked me if I wear nail polish. And that is exactly what it was. She also said because the yellow was more toward the white end of my nails, all is fine. If the yellowing was coming from the cuticle end, then I would need to consider a vitamin deficiency or jaundice. Good luck!

.::suzy::.
|

replied September 5th, 2010
hey :-/
hey ive also found recently that its not my actual nail thats turned yellow, its just the skin underneath...i dont smoke, im a reli clean person and keep my nails clean and i dont really use nail varnish, and when i do its on a natural clear color... and i know it cant be a calcium deficiency because i make sure thati keep a fairly balanced diet, and i take suplements on top just to make sure that im getitng everything that i need... not in an obsessive way but just to make sure that im healthy... what would cause just my fingers to turn yellow?? x
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul