Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Peeling Gums

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hi, im really worried because my gums are starting to peel around the teeth on both the top and bottom. I cant figure out why they would be doing this since I havnt been doing anything out of the ordinary. I may have forgotten to crush my teeth a few days, but ive done that all my life.

The skin that comes off is clear white yet it looks foggy, it doesnt hurt but I cant exactly peel it off, I just kinda brush it off. This is the first time ive actually noticed it, but yesterday after eating my mashed potatoes I notice that my gums were feeling funny around the bottom of my 'lip line' (where the gum meets the lip). I didnt think anything of it and went on with my life, until today, when I ate my mashed potatoes I felt the same thing and looked in the mirror! O.O I noticed that my gums were peeling!

I cant go to the dentist just yet because I just moved over a 1000 miles from home and am away from my parents for the first time so I dont have insurance. I plan on getting a new job soon so hopefully I can go then. :cry: my teeth wont fall out will they?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper laurenv26
|

replied April 28th, 2011
The same thing is happening to my gums, but it is just on the bottom, and under one of my teeth the gum line is receeding. I am very worried!
|

replied May 10th, 2011
Sounds like tissue sloughing to me. This happens when the gums are exposed to something too harsh (this varies depending on your own tissue sensitivity). I'm a dental hygienist and have found personally I get it when I use Colgate Total toothpaste and maybe don't rinse it out as well. The tissue sloughs off where the toothpaste sits against for a period of time. I have had many patients either ask me about this or come in for an appt and I find it - they have usually just recently brushed too. I stick with natural, gentle toothpastes now and don't get it anymore. It is nothing to worry about though, it won't hurt you.

As far as the gum receding below a bottom front tooth - that is another issue altogether. A lot f times its related to how the teeth hit when you bite, chew, talk or if you clench/grind. It could also be due to needing a cleaning and some build up being on the teeth and causing the gum to pull away from this area. Unfortunately gum tissue doesn't move back up a tooth and if bad enough may require a graft. See your dentist for an evaluation.
|

replied November 8th, 2012
i just noticed this. On the bottom, between my two front teeth it's like the gum is receding. It like it's peeling away from the teeth. I'm very worried. I'm fourteen. I had a cleaning in September, and I keep my teeth up very well, but I also have a permanent bottom retainer bonded to the backside of my front teeth. I can't go to the dentist, because my parents won't bring me. I do grind my teeth and my dentist gave me a custom fit mouth guard I wear at night. I don't know about this. I keep tasting blood in my mouth and the gum is a little red and inflammed in that spot. Should I really be worried?
|

replied September 26th, 2012
Gum?
This morning after I brushed my teeth I was abut to apply some medicine n the canker sore I had above my gum and noticed my gums on the left side had a red blotch, I figured great another canker sore. So as I was trying to dry it the skin just came off and began to bleed, it was weird so I put the medicine on and well it didn't burn like it normally did for the other canker sore, and the blood turned brown. what does that mean???
|

replied October 26th, 2012
same here.
im 16, and this EXACT thing is happening to me.. now more than ever. comes out white looking. i'm veerrryy worried because i hardly ever brush my teeth...
|

replied November 9th, 2012
dennisallred,you should start brushing your teeth regularly. Bacteria and plaque are dangerous. They can enter your blood stream and cause a lot of damage to your body.
|

replied December 12th, 2012
Don't worry its not harmful
I got the exact same thing but it don't hurt or anything I just woke up this morning with my gums feeling weird and had my tongue lift up and down the gum that was peeling. I had this before a long time ago so do worry its not really harmful.Its just means your gums are getting old and that a new layer come in but it don't hurt at all but when it peels off it will start a little pain and start bleeding a little but don't worry about. You know when your old skin peels off? Thats the same way your gums are. You gums are only to last about six to sixteen years. No worries.
|

Don't worry reminder
Oh and don't eat and hard stuff when you gums have peeled cause that makes the pain worse when you chew and the stuff goes all the way back. Plus its only the gums that dont have teeth there so no worries.
|

Don't worry reminder
Oh and don't eat and hard stuff when you gums have peeled cause that makes the pain worse when you chew and the stuff goes all the way back. Plus its only the gums that dont have teeth there so no worries.
|

replied December 15th, 2012
Problem of gums is faced in case of a very few uncertain situation when you have been taking every precaution. Such problems either occur because of age factor or because of some internal problem that have a side effect on this part.
|

replied January 18th, 2013
Peeling gum.
Okay, my problem is one of my first molars have grown and a bit of gum next to it started peeling. Im only 10 so i dont understand why its doing that. A couple of weeks later, the bit that had started peeling and was left to hang turned brown. Thats were im up to. Please help.
|

replied February 25th, 2013
HELP ME AHH PEEELING GUMS!!!!
Yes this just happened to me I used a new toothpaste that a dentist gave me and it's a whitening one and as soon as I used it I got ready for bed and all of a sudden my gum or something was coming off in wormy soft stringy pieces like long pieces its REALLY scaring me HELP ME PLEASE
|

replied March 25th, 2013
Should I worry?
I think it might be something to do with this whitening stuff then. I'm using senserdyne gentle whitening and I've noticed that my gums near the back have gone all red and blotchy and one side peeled off a layer a couple of days ago. It could be down to what I've eaten but I dunno now. I might service back to moral tooth paste now. Smile hopefully it's nothing to worry about then?
|

replied October 5th, 2013
peeling gums
The same thing is happening to me and im 11 I just found this out now
My gum is pink on the outside but gushing blood on the outside I need help
:'(
|

replied January 17th, 2014
Simple Answer in most cases
This just started with me and I didn't notice until I switched toothpastes. I'm leaving behind Crest Complete and going back to Pronamel Smile
|

replied April 12th, 2014
I'm 15 and my gums are doing this too! Although, I haven't changed my toothpaste recently.
Yesterday, my gum literally came off my tooth, and was hanging on by a bit, and I freaked so I tried to keep my gum in the right place. Eventually it fell off, and my gums started to bleed. I left it alone until today when it did this again, but with the tooth next to it. My gum is really loose and weird, but is still there.

I do have mild geographic tongue, and have for the last 2-3 years, but its never been a problem before.

I'm too terrified to eat!
|