Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Back Pain All the Way Across Upper Back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Have had chronic lower back pain for several years and on medication for this - just over last month or so - the upper part of my back has begun to hurt also and lately it is very sensitive to touch - almost feels like it is bruised but no bruises or rashes - have some tingling sensation too in the same areas. Cannot sit in any chair with a back .Any idea what might be going on here?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 17th, 2006
Hi sunni.

I have almost exactly the same problem as you. Chronic lower back pain (going on about three years), and then suddenly, an unexplained onset of pain in the upper back area. Extreme sensitivity to all surfaces, including chairs and bed. I can't lie down on my back for instance.

I've done two x-rays so far, which haven't revealed much (according to my gp). I've tried physio-theraphy and acupuncture. The acupuncture helped for a while, but now i'm back to square one. I'm not sure where else to go with this. I'm considering the services of a chiropractor and i'm saving up for this, but cash is tight.

Does your pain originate from a particular point on your spine as it does mine ? My problem appears to originate from one of the vetebrae right in the middle of my back. It feels like someones got a screwdriver stuck in there.
|

replied June 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Ask them to x-ray your pelvis: iliums, sacrum, sijs and lubar spine, all in the same picture... The check if everything is aligned!
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Expatient ????
Expatient ~

don't you have anything other say then to reply with the same thing and that is always having the pelvis x-rayed?????? I hope you know that all spine problems are not related to the pelvis????? Your posts are getting a bit boring and monotonous. Don't you have anything else to say to help these members???? It seems no matter what their symptoms are you always bringing up the pelvis?????? :? Your reply's are not very helpful. That is my opinion anyway.

Imshirl :?
|

replied June 17th, 2006
Thanks Phillip
Thanks phillip for your reply - I am sorry you too are having such problems - since I posted I have gone to my doctor who says that I am having muscle spasms (said she could feel the knots in the middle of my upper back up and down my spine and also around my hip area) gave me muscle relaxers to take but as of today it is still painful (now in both areas - upper and lower) . I have previously had mri's done but they have shown up nothing significant in the lower back area except some arthritis - last night the pain in the lower back (even after taking meds) were so bad that they radiated around into the lower part of stomach and down legs (i must say - it was almost as if I were going thru childbirth again). I too have been thinking of going to a chiropractor. I had nerve blocks done at one time that were suppose to last around 3-4 months. Lasted 4 days so haven't had that done again. The pain itself is enough without all the pain from having the nerve blocks done because you have no anethesia. Thanks for your reply and if you get to a chiropractor let me know how that does.
|

replied June 18th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Expatient ????
imshirl wrote:

don't you have anything other say then to reply with the same thing and that is always having the pelvis x-rayed?????? I hope you know that all spine problems are not related to the pelvis?????

like what is not?

Pelvis is the foundation of whole skeletal system. When it is misaligned it will cause many problems to spine, muscles and joints. Inflammation, arthritis, degeneration, cramps, pain...

imshirl wrote:
your posts are getting a bit boring and monotonous. Don't you have anything else to say to help these members???? It seems no matter what their symptoms are you always bringing up the pelvis?????? :? Your reply's are not very helpful. That is my opinion anyway.

i am sorry to hear that, but if you read what kind of problems it can cause... Just check these:

article from wold pain gongress
|

replied June 18th, 2006
Thanks, sunni.

I definitely intend to give the chiropractors a shot. But like I said, cash is a bit tight at the moment, so i'm saving up towards it. I've got a clinic in mind. It's called gonstead clinic at harley street in london. They come highly recommended. But they are a bit expensive. If I can hold out until the end of the month, then they are the people i'll probably be talking to. Whatever happens, i'll be sure to keep you posted.

Cheers.
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You say your tests show that you have arthritis, believe me, it is no picnic! I also have .D.D.D (dealing with the discs) along with other back problems that I must learn to live with including a lot of neurologic disorders and ms. Which causes me to fall a lot. Have you thought about getting other opinions? I just take my pain meds and hope that tomorrow will be a better day and do what I can do and keep as busy as much as I can just to take my mind off of the pain. I am not a dr but you should think about getting other opinions.
|

replied October 23rd, 2013
HELP!!
hey
I have pain in the middle of my back that just comes and goes but for the last few days its been intense.. like right now iam dieing.. can someone help me??
Michelle
|

replied October 23rd, 2013
Talk to a few chiropractors. Find out what kind of treatments they offer. You want those that offer spinal manipulation as part of their treatment. Every time you visit they'll crack your spine to loosen things up a bit. Takes about half a dozen treatments to start to feel better, and they're not cheap. Mine costs me 35 pounds per go. Also gotta be careful of the cowboys. There are a few of them out there.
|