Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Frequently Eating Ice (Page 1)

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Over the past year r so, I developed an eating habit of ice. People from my church constantly tells me that it is bad for my health. I asked a dr of mines @ it, he says other than dental problems he didn't see anything wrong. I would love to hear if anyone has anything different :o
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Catt101
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2006
Experienced User
But the thing is, are you eating ice to avoid eating food? Or just because you like eating ice???!!!
Lola xoxox
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 23rd, 2011
TOO MUCH ICE
I JUST LOVE TO EAT ICE, EVER SINCE I WAS PREGANT WITH MY LAST ChILD I HAD THE CRAVING AND NOW I CANT STOP? OTHER THAN BAD FOR MY TEETH WHAT CAN BE WRONG WITH EATING ICE ALL DAY????
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 13th, 2006
My boyfriend chews ice like crazy. People have told him that it's a result of sexual frustration (but thats unlikely since he's been doing it since he was a kid). One person did say they that it was a symptom of anemia. For my boyfriend, its just a habit, like chewing gum. If you think anemia is possible, you should have yourself tested.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 13th, 2006
No I don't replace it for eating. I love to it. I've been said to be a n anmeia. Does that effect the anemia or cause other health problems?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 23rd, 2006
Eating Too Much Ice
My daugther just found out she is anemica, she is a constant ice eater, the doctor said it causes anemia, eating the ice keeps the acid in the tummy cold and it cannot digest the iron you are getting from food and so now the body craves the ice, he said once her iron count is back up she won't feel the need to eat so much ice. Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 22nd, 2011
Bull...
The stomach has nothing to do with the "digestion" of iron. The iron you receive from food is absorbed through your other digestive organs and whether the stomach acid is cold or not, it has no effect on the actual function OF the acid (it works the same way be it hot or cold)...otherwise eating/drinking ANYTHING cold would be considered a cause of anemia.
I'm 36 weeks pregnant and have taken every precaution to AVOID anemia AND I enjoy eating ice very much!!

I think you should get your 'facts' straightened out.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 4th, 2011
I like bulls
Actually, there's some merit in that statement. By means you should get your 'facts' straightened out. It's not exactly the acid of the stomach that extreme hot or cold temperatures affect. However there are proteins and enzymes within the body that have a plethera of functions. Many of these are the digestion of food. These proteins and enzymes all have optimal environments in which they can function, hot or cold temperatures, low and high pH values etc. For example these molecules in the stomach function best in LOW pH, the molecules in the intestine function in slightly lower pH, which is where the pancreas comes in to excrete sodium bicarbinate into the gastrointestinal tract. When proteins and enzymes are exposed to extremes that they are not meant to function within, their structure changes shape which is called denaturing, when a protein is denatured it can no longer do the duties that is has been 'assigned' to do, for lack of a better term, which can have very diverse effects on the body. Proteins in the brain function best at body temperature 98.6F, which is why a high prolonged body temperature can be extremely dangerous. When these conditions last for a short time, say a glass of ice cold water, or a hot tea, they have very little side effect, however if these conditions persist over a long period of time.. say eating ice ALL day. Then yes, I can believe that it will in fact denature proteins that are meant to function within a normal body temperature and thus have an effect on how well, and how fast food can be broken down in the gastrointestinal system. I like to straighten my facts though so if you don't believe what I've said have a look at this link Smile
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/ BiologyPages/D/DenaturingProtein.html
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 4th, 2011
of course by slightly lower pH I meant slightly higher.. sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain does ^_^
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 23rd, 2006
Thanks so much for the response I received for ice eating. It was a relief knowing that eating ice won't cause amjor medical problems. But the question is, will it effect me being an anemic?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 17th, 2006
Anemia
My doctor told me that eating ice constantly is a symptom of anemia. Also fatigue is a major symptom. You should probably go to your doctor.

I battled with anemia for about four/five years, and I tell you, it sucked. I felt so horrible, because it got so bad. I never went to school. I was so tired. All I did was sleep. I'm not sure what your iron count should be, but mine was 3, and my doctor was very concerned about me. I'm still anemic, but it's under control. I hope this doesn't scare you. Anemia is actually quite easy to control if you aren't the rebellious teen like I was, who hates pills and blood tests. Please see your doctor. I know anemia can cause other medical problems.

Ashley
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 17th, 2006
Experienced User
I agree with everyone else ice eating is a symptom of anemia so you should have your iron levels checked and they find that you are chronically anemic they can talk to you about diet and possible medications.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Anemia
spunkybrunette wrote:
i was so tired. All I did was sleep. I'm not sure what your iron count should be, but mine was 3, and my doctor was very concerned about me. I'm still anemic, but it's under control. I hope this doesn't scare you. Anemia is actually quite easy to control if you aren't the rebellious teen like I was, who hates pills and blood tests. Please see your doctor. I know anemia can cause other medical problems.


how I know this is true.. :s
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 20th, 2007
Ice Eating - Best Type of Ice?
I've been an ice eater for a number of years. Yes, I'm slightly anemic but I think my love of ice is more of a habit rather than an actual craving.

My own research has found that there are several types of really great ice out there (the ice maker at our nearby hospital churns out a fine batch) and Sonic restaurants make nice, chewable, ice.

Does anyone else have specific favorites?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 22nd, 2012
Ice fanatic
I've been an ice fanatic for years! I don't leave the house without a large cup of ice. I most certainly have favourites. I have special ice trays in the house that no one else is allowed to touch, & I fill them only half way up so they can crack nicely into lots of little bits (against my pallet rather than teeth because several of my teeth became very blunted). I think it's a wonderful, benign habit (if you're careful of your teeth). I don't feel anaemic at all, I just find eating ice enjoyable. I eat about 20 ice trays a day & there's no problem with my health. This post is the first time I've heard of anyone else doing it, & it's comforting to know because people tend to think I'm a bit weird!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 22nd, 2012
Ice fanatic
I've been an ice fanatic for years! I don't leave the house without a large cup of ice. I most certainly have favourites. I have special ice trays in the house that no one else is allowed to touch, & I fill them only half way up so they can crack nicely into lots of little bits (against my pallet rather than teeth because several of my teeth became very blunted). I think it's a wonderful, benign habit (if you're careful of your teeth). I don't feel anaemic at all, I just find eating ice enjoyable. I eat about 20 ice trays a day & there's no problem with my health. This post is the first time I've heard of anyone else doing it, & it's comforting to know because people tend to think I'm a bit weird!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2007
Experienced User
haha i eat alot of crushed ice with a spoon and everything also Smile i dont think its weird, and have had no problems with it
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 31st, 2007
I've had a craving for ice for the past year that was insatiable, and about a week ago my teeth were so sensitive to the cold that I could no longer bare it. So I decided to stop, however, I immediately noticed that I was having dizzy spells (somewhat like vertigo that I suffer from), but not quite as severe. My daughter mentioned that I may be anemic due to eating so much ice, so I'm going back to the doctor or Thursday to see if this could be the case. Has anyone else had this symptom?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 14th, 2007
neverill wrote:
I've had a craving for ice for the past year that was insatiable, and about a week ago my teeth were so sensitive to the cold that I could no longer bare it. So I decided to stop, however, I immediately noticed that I was having dizzy spells (somewhat like vertigo that I suffer from), but not quite as severe. My daughter mentioned that I may be anemic due to eating so much ice, so I'm going back to the doctor or Thursday to see if this could be the case. Has anyone else had this symptom?


I am a frequent ice eater, I constantly crave ice. I can sit by my fridge and stand at the ice dispenser eating it for a good 20 minutes. Even when I go to restaurants, I am more interested in fishing the ice out of the drink than the actual drink haha. Anyways, I have had dizzy spells for a long time because of extremely low blood pressure, but since I have been eating so much ice they have gotten worse; sometimes I can't see for a few seconds because its so bad. I think I should go to the doctor to check if I am anemic Sad
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
kimmay wrote:
neverill wrote:
I've had a craving for ice for the past year that was insatiable, and about a week ago my teeth were so sensitive to the cold that I could no longer bare it. So I decided to stop, however, I immediately noticed that I was having dizzy spells (somewhat like vertigo that I suffer from), but not quite as severe. My daughter mentioned that I may be anemic due to eating so much ice, so I'm going back to the doctor or Thursday to see if this could be the case. Has anyone else had this symptom?


I am a frequent ice eater, I constantly crave ice. I can sit by my fridge and stand at the ice dispenser eating it for a good 20 minutes. Even when I go to restaurants, I am more interested in fishing the ice out of the drink than the actual drink haha. Anyways, I have had dizzy spells for a long time because of extremely low blood pressure, but since I have been eating so much ice they have gotten worse; sometimes I can't see for a few seconds because its so bad. I think I should go to the doctor to check if I am anemic Sad


Wow, that was so me! I used to go to a conveniece store, buy a 42 oz soda with ice, but without the soda. Then I found out I had Celiac disease which was making me anemic. WWhen I recovered, i no longer had the impulse or desire to chew ice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 16th, 2007
Eating Ice
Thanks for your replys. In my last email I stated that I was going back to the doctor, however, I had to go out of town. Nonetheless, I continued to take the medicine that was perscribed for my (Vertigo) because that's what my doctor thought I was suffering from with this dizziness. Then, I stopped taking it because I was not getting in relief (just made me sleepy). A day or two before my trip I noticed that I had stopped having the dizzing episodes, and during my week long trip I had (only one). I'm still going back to see my doctor regarding anemia, but I'm taking great strides in not going back to my ice addiction. Laughing Also, what is Celiac disase?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It is a auto immune disorder which manifests in the small intestine. People who have it have to stay on a gluten free diet for the rest of their lives. For mor info see the sticky under "Celiac Disease"
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 16th, 2007
Are you having to stick with this diet, and if so, how long?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
neverill wrote:
Are you having to stick with this diet, and if so, how long?


Oh yes. Foerever.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 16th, 2007
sillyakchick wrote:
kimmay wrote:
neverill wrote:
I've had a craving for ice for the past year that was insatiable, and about a week ago my teeth were so sensitive to the cold that I could no longer bare it. So I decided to stop, however, I immediately noticed that I was having dizzy spells (somewhat like vertigo that I suffer from), but not quite as severe. My daughter mentioned that I may be anemic due to eating so much ice, so I'm going back to the doctor or Thursday to see if this could be the case. Has anyone else had this symptom?


I am a frequent ice eater, I constantly crave ice. I can sit by my fridge and stand at the ice dispenser eating it for a good 20 minutes. Even when I go to restaurants, I am more interested in fishing the ice out of the drink than the actual drink haha. Anyways, I have had dizzy spells for a long time because of extremely low blood pressure, but since I have been eating so much ice they have gotten worse; sometimes I can't see for a few seconds because its so bad. I think I should go to the doctor to check if I am anemic Sad


Wow, that was so me! I used to go to a conveniece store, buy a 42 oz soda with ice, but without the soda. Then I found out I had Celiac disease which was making me anemic. WWhen I recovered, i no longer had the impulse or desire to chew ice.


Yeap, I need to get myself to the doctors. Thank you, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Btw, while reading this thread, I've gotten up to eat ice at least 4 times lol I am horrible.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 22nd, 2007
Ice Cravings
I have been eating ice most of my life, but recently I have been eating it non-stop. My mother told me about an article in the newspaper about people who eat ice & that it signifies a lack of something in the body. So my questions are: 1. Does eating ice all the time really have an adverse effect on my system? 2. What are the symtoms of being anemic? 3. Does it really cause a low absorbtion of iron in the system?
I've just felt very tired lately, all I want to do is sleep or eat ice. This is not me - especially this time of year because I do Stained Glass for shows & this is my busy time, but I just can't seem to get into the swing of things. So if anyone has any suggestions to help boost the energy, I would greatly appreciate it.
|
Did you find this post helpful?