Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Tubes Tied Or Hysterectomy?

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
Hello......I have a question that I hope someone can answer......I have an appointment on febuary 12th to get my tubes tied, bit I really want to get a hysterectomy, I just want all that stuff out of here.........So my question is...Do I need a medical reason to get a hysterectomy? My doctor said he wouldnt do one..... Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
No offence intended but I notice you're from utah & I wondered if maybe your dr refused to do the hysterectomy for his own religious reasons??

I had a total hysterectomy at age 42 or 43 after 2 kids & several miscarriages. My husband & I talked to our local dr about why I wanted it - I had really heavy periods, major cramping. Migraines associated with it all & back pain (& I already have a back problem I didn't need an extra one each month). But there was no need medically. My husband had had the "cut" so I wan't going to get pregnant but I also didn't wantto go on the pill to regulate things.

Our local dr saw our view & recommended a ob/gyn who she felt would "listen" to us, we saw him together, along with our written list of why I wanted a total hysterectomy & he asked some questions then said ok. He felt that we had considered the pros & cons, we weren't going to have another child & so he did it.

So maybe talk to another local dr, see an open minded ob/gyn maybe out of state or not a mormon & have your reasons & answers to questions you might be asked, preferably take your husband (if you'er married) & present a united front, I feel this made a difference.

Good luck
|

replied January 13th, 2004
Aaaggghhhh!!!!
Thank you so much for your reply.....Your right, my dr is mormon...I am not....Maybe that is why he said no.....Its funny cause after I posted my question, I read thru other womens posts and I am rethinking the whole hysterectomy thing....I now understand there is whole new can of worms that I would be opening........Now, I am more confused than ever.....Lol
|

replied January 15th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, this is not a decision to make lightly, it is major surgery & very final!! Tubes can sometimes(!) be relinked but not a total hysterectomy. But nor is it something anyone else's opinions should decide for you. Talk to your husband(?) & consider your age etc, in terms of hrt there are plenty of natural oestrogen replacements so if that's a concern don't let it be, although I don't take any replacement (my choice) & no problem.

Good luck.
|

replied January 31st, 2004
Hysterectomy Vs Tubes Tied
Definately get your tubes tied. Sex is awful after a hysterectomy!!!!! I know I had one in august 2002, and it hasnt been the same ever since then. I am only 30 years old, so I should be enjoying intercourse, I dont it is awful. It just wasnt like that prior to my hysterectomy!!!!
|

replied February 2nd, 2004
Had Tubes Tied
I had my tubes tied and just had a partial hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. After my tubal my endometriosis became worse and very painful, the periods and cramps were so bad that nothing was helping. I had a partial because my ovaries still looked very healthy and I did not want to go into early menopause. I am still very sore but so far it seems well worth it. I still have my sex drive and no signs of menapause. I wish you all the best in your decision.
|
Tags: hysterectomy
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile