Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Risk Factors of Atherosclerosis

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
Hi. I am 19 years old and I smoke since september 2002 (almost 4 years). I am trying to stop it. How possible is that atherosclerosis has started taking place? In addition, if I stop smoking now completely and start a healthy life how passible is that I face heart or atherosclerosis problems in the future?

Apart from smoking I did not have any other problems:normal cholesterol levels, no diabetes and no one of my family and grand parents (still alive) faced atherosclerosis problems even though they used to smoke very much.

Please try to help me. I need some information.
Thanx

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2006
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A1095
Smoking is one of the four major risk factors for developing atherosclerosis. Those 4 major risk factors are: smoking, high levels of blood fats (LDL and triglycerides), high blood sugar level (diabetes mellitus), and arterial hypertension. Other risk factors are: genetic predisposition, male sex, female in menopause, obesity, low physical activity, psychical stress etc. If you stop smoking you will definitely reduce the risk of developing atherosclerosis.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.