Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Genital Warts -- Marriage

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
I am getting married in about 3 weeks and I have genital warts. I have had them for 3 and a half years. I have been getting treatments off on and during that time and they are much less than they once were but still appear. My future spouse knows about them and has accepted that she may get them but I cant sleep at night over it. If she is willing to deal with this do we not worry about protection and just accept that we will both have it? Is it worth us using condoms to prevent her from having it? What should we do? I am not worried about her leaving me, just about her health. The only visible warts I have ever had treated were on the shaft and were fairly small, I have never had a particularly bad case.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 9th, 2006
Ok so I down anyone is going to respond anytime soon so I will post an answer for you all.

I just saw a doctor, got a last minute appointment today. She said dont sweat it this is nothing, 50% of america has this its no big deal, make sure my wife gets seen once a year for a pap smear and they treat anything thats she has no worries. You can have babies normally no problem, dont worry about protection or condoms go on with your life its all good.
|

replied June 11th, 2006
Hey mike

thanks for the response to your response. :) makes me feel better. I was in a similar situation only I was the girl. My boyfriend accepts it and everything and we have plans of getting married in the future, so its great to know you talked to your doctor! I have an appt. Friday, but no reason losin' sleep over it until then, right?! Good luck in your marriage!
|

replied June 11th, 2006
Mike, I also am getting married soon, and I know how you feel. I will be marrying someone who is disease-free, and we have waited for sex till our wedding. (obviosly, I had sex in the past)...I should've waited all along, but I lived and learned. Anyway, its really hard to think about giving him an std, but he knows about it, and its great that you already told her about it. A husband and wife should not have to wear condoms all the time, and besides, condoms dont protect against crap. Maybe pregnancy, but thats it. So congrats on the wedding, and thanks for posting what your doc said!
|

replied June 13th, 2006
Hey thanks for your replys to, nice to know others out there are dealing with this too.

We had a big, emotional thing for a few days over this because I found out about the new vaccine they just released and I think it got her hopes up, but I dont think its going to be accessible anytime soon. And the doc didnt think it was all that necessary anyways. I just hope we arent in that low percentage of people that end up having complications or anything....Well her anyway, I am fine. But the doc said as long as she gets a yearly pap there is no real problem.
|
Users who thank mike42 for this post: wjlax0209 

replied October 26th, 2009
How do I deal with the humiliation
I was engaged to be married but then we split up. As a form of revenge I slept with someone else but then I realized I had contracted genital warts. I never sleep around and the one time I do this happens to me! My fiance wants to get back together and recommit and get married.. How do I tell him that I have this!? I feel dirty and disgusting...and I am not like a lot of people that have a breakout once in awhile, I have them constantly. I got a prescription called condylox gel that really works (very painful though) and as soon as I burn my warts off, more come back in other places! Everyday I cry about this, I am so humiliated...I feel like I can never be in another relationship, that i will die an old maid, never have another sexual relationship again...I want to be back with my fiance so badly but I am so embarrassed to tell him. I used to pride myself on the fact that I was STD free...now i feel like a disease-ridden loser that will be alone for the rest of my life.
|

replied March 24th, 2010
dont cry girl! 50% of sexually active ppl have some form of hpv. i can understand the embarrassing and humiliating feelings but if he really loves you, then ya'll will get pass it.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
I've been witmy fiance for 6 yrs, and he found out he had gw the firyr we were together, I did receive the first shot of three of the hpv vaccinations, but never went back for the last two for some reason or another. I had yearly paps n was fine got pregnant n had our daughter 3 yrs ago with no problems. Only problem is that I haven't had a pap in almost a yr n a half n my fiance resently told me that he failto tell me he had active warts when we had unprotected sex a few times due to either embarrassment or being cought up n the moment. He has promised to be respectful n tell me whenever he has them again before sex, n we r planning to be wed in a few months. I have some health issues myself such as crohns (a stomach disorder ) n my immune system isn't always in tip top shape. I just worry soo much about this up coming pap smerr, but I'm putting all my faith into Jesus that his will will be for me to be fine n clear. I have noticed I'm a little itchy down there lately but besides that wich happens n the summer sometimes nothing. Idk how to stop worrying tho n its driving me crazy. Sad
|

replied April 11th, 2012
angry partner
i discovered my BF of 3yrs gave me G/W..We were meant to be married, but since i discovered, I ve called off the wedding, refused talking to him and been soooo pissed off...I dont know wat to do anymore...I am deeply lost in thought everyday...please advice
|