Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Birthing Centers?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Has anyone heard anything about birthing centers? I am debating if I should have my baby at a hospital or a birthing center? Any info would be great...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
...Excuse me.

A house is not equipped to handle serious problems. What if the cord is wrapped around the neck? What if the baby goes into respiratory arrest? What if you're unable to push the baby out, and medical intervention is needed immediately? What if the baby's heart rate suddenly plummets? You can *not* predict some of these problems.

I'm all for women birthing at home if their pregnancy is low risk, but do not go telling people that it is .S.A.F.E.R than a hospital. That is a load of bull. Hospitals are equipped with life-saving equipment, monitors, operating rooms, and are fully staffed by trained professionals. If something goes wrong, they can handle it .I.M.M.E.D.I.A.T.E.L.Y. Instead of waiting for the ambulance and wasting precious time that could result in birth defects, damage to the child and mother, and possibly even result in death.

If you want to say that a woman's body is designed for birth, and women have been giving birth for thousands of years without hospitals, fine. But do you know what the leading cause of death was for women for thousands of years? Child birth.

Don't go telling people that hospital births are dangerous and scare these hormonal pregnant mothers into thinking their doctors are money-greedy vultures that will not help them one bit. It is absolutely uncalled for. Preach about the benefits of a home birth by all means, but do not spread dangerous rumors about hospitals and doctors. It is extremely offensive and very uncalled for.
|

replied July 26th, 2006
If you read what I said women died in childbirth not because birth is risky but becasue of poor living conditions bad food, wrong clothing, and the big killer infection and why did that infection happen because people interfered with them. Women are still getting infection in hospitals, but now they have medicine to cure those infections if were not for those medicines women would still be dying. I mean come on if birth was such a dangerous disease than the human race would have been gone centuries ago pregnancy and birth is not a dangerous disease, and if women were not capable of handling those variations of the normal(breech,twins,cord wrapped around neck etc.) mother nature would have done something to stop it from happening. If you educate yourself well and listen to your body you can handle these variations of normal. Then again most complications happen because of hospitals. Things like cord wrapped around neck is usually never a problem you just simply unwrap it. It becomes a problem when it happens in a hospital when you're labor is being made longer by first being in the wrong enviroment and then with the drugs, because the baby has to sit there a lot longer the it should with the cord around the neck thus causing it to lose oxygen. Do the reasearch think for your self. Instead of always just hoping on the bandwagon and doing what everybody else does because you don't know any better.
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
You can not predict sudden complications in pregnancy or childbirth. If you are at home, you can not .D.E.A.L with these sudden complications. If the baby's heartrate begins to decline rapidly, the doctors and nurses would know it because they have you hooked on monitors. If you're at home, you'll have no idea that anything is wrong. If you're pushing your child out and the baby is breach, or the baby's shoulders will not pass through the vagina, an emergency c-section is required. Are you equipped to do that at home? Absolutely not.

Even in hospitals, surrounded by health professionals that *went to school* to learn how to deliver babies, things go wrong. Not every birth is picture perfect. Things go wrong all the time. If most complications happened because of hospitals, no one would have their child in a hospital. Simple as that. Hospitals are not evil money-grabbing cesspools of filth and infection, like you're claiming them to be. There are a *variety* of drugs that doctors use on their patients, and .N.E.V.E.R without the express permission of the mother. A doctor will not use a medication on you if they deem that it is unsafe or unnecessary. They are at such high risk of malpractice lawsuits that they will not risk it.

Many hospitals now offer the mother a variety of birthing options, ranging from birthing balls, chairs, and bars... Encouraging them to labor in a standing/squatting position so that gravity will assist in delivery... Water births, natural births, etc. A hospital birth does not confine you to a bed hooked to an .I.V unless that's what you want, or unless it is necessary. And the upside? If there is a problem, you're not stuck by yourself surrounded by clueless family members on your living room floor waiting for the ambulance to pick you up. You're surrounded by trained medical professionals that immediately know how to treat you. Those are precious minutes that could ultimately effect whether you, and your baby, live or die. It's not a matter of being "uneducated". It's a matter of being ill-equipped to handle serious situations should they arise.

My point was that if you want to advocate home birth, that's fine. But again, do not spread rumors and propaganda about how horrible hospitals are and how they'll screw your birth experience up. Home births have certain advantages that some people might want to consider. Hospitals have advantages as well. More advantages, in my opinion. Do not scare mothers into thinking that they can't trust hospitals to take care of them.
|

replied August 8th, 2006
Freebirth is right.

Home is much safer. Look at the statistics, talk to any midwife. Something is far more likely to go wrong if you have the child in hospital.

(hospital) intervention is the most dangerous threat to a safe and happy birth. Doctors and hospitals have created this culture of fear around childbirth.

Get an independent midwife, have a homebirth and enjoy the most beautiful experience life has to offer.

Don't have a hospital ruin it for you.
|