Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hate Hypo

:( hi-i just got diagnosed a week ago with hypo. I had a week of really bad episodes where I got sick almost once a day. A month before my bad episodes, I was on a plane home from vegas at 2am. I woke up suddenly and felt like I couldn't breathe, and I started panicking. It was awful..Now I wonder if that was related to the hypo. I'm kinda scared to get on a plane again and I love to travel. My main complaints with the hypo is never knowing when you are going to have an episode. Several times I have been driving and have had to pull over in a drug store to get back to normal. Usually I am laid back and I have never had anxiety issues, until now. It is so strange. I heard stan say that getting back to normal after following the diet for 4 months was fast. Ugh I don't want to deal with this for that long. I now hate food. I used to like it. Hypo sux!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the diet, it must be done. Eventually, you will be able to eat certain foods in moderation now and then. And, once you are able to do this, you'll be more able to actually enjoy what you eat since you won't be able to eat such things as often and in such high quantities. What are you eating right now?
|

replied June 7th, 2006
Hi iamalexis
yes, it does suck to have hypoglycemia and have to follow a rather draconian diet at first. As stan says, you will eventually be able to have certain foods again in moderation but know that you will never be able to go back eating to what you were eating before as the symptoms will come back. Believe me, I know because I have had this for over 10 years and everytime I jump off the bandwagon for a while, it comes back. The fact is, you'll have to eat the kind of healthy diet that you and most people should be eating anyway.Yours will be a little more restrictive, that's all.

Concerning your comment about how it sucks to have hypoglycemia, a diabetic who has to take insulin shots everyday or go in for dialysis every week would pray to have a condition where he or she only has to modify their diet to become healthy. Not trying to belittle your problems but trust me, many people have much worse health conditions...Or maybe I should say much worse health conditions with no treatment and no cure
|

replied June 7th, 2006
Agreed. It is very easy for me to follow the diet. I love veggies, maybe it's because I am from alabama. (no I don't live in a tralior, I have no pet gator. I hate country music. I don't have that bad of an accent. I can't stand rednecks) ok i'm done.

Anyways, you'll get used to it. I guess I am glad I got hypoglycemia at 15 instead of 46. It is probably easy to stay on a good diet when your younger than trying to adjust after so many years (not saying 46 is old or anything, mathmatically speaking 46 > 15)

i forgot what I was going to say, my blood sugar is low right now, it's late. I'm bored. Sorry, I will probably forget about this post in 10 minutes.

-runs to the kitchen.-
|