Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Cramping,spotting After Period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
The first day of my last period was may 28th,the last day was june 1st(which is pretty normal) then, yesterday I started to spot very lightly..Today,theres more blood and now theres cramps. I have never spotted before or had cramps after my actual period. My periods have been normal for about 9 months now..I just got off the depo shot about a year and half or 2 years ago. But, I did have unprotected sex may 24th and 25th. Could this mean im pregnant.. And im not on any birth control
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MrsSolis
|

replied June 15th, 2006
I'm Exactly Like You
Hi, first I apologize for not being any help to you cause I feel the same way. I started my period on june 4th and ended on the 8th. Two days ago I had some light spotting that continued through today. Today it has gotten slightly heavier and I am experiencing cramps and lower back pain. I have never done this before and like you I had a depo shot about 1-1/2 years ago. I am married and we have unprotected sex several times a week. Prior to my depo shot I had surgery to remove two ovarian cysts on my right ovary. We've been together for about 1-1/2 years and I have been unsucessful in getting pregnant. I did take a pregnancy test earlier today and it was negative.

Does anyone have any information for us. I'm not sure if I should go see my doctor or just wait longer. Any help would be greatly appreiated!
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Hello I am experiencing the same symptoms, however I am 46 and never had a depo shot.. did you go to the dr or did it just go away?
|

replied February 1st, 2010
Hi, I am sure you guys still are not reading into this considering it has been 3+ years ago, but I too have recently had similar issues and am wondering what you guys found out. I am 22, married and have a 18 month old son. This month AF came as expected a little early but nothing uncommon, now 3 days after AF ended, i wiped earlier and had a clear mucous with some pink blood. (I apologize for the detail) I am wondering if I could actually be pg and not know it. My mom got AF the first month when she was pg with me as well. I did take a test the day AF came and it was negative due to the fact that I was having severe headaches like I had when I was pg with my son, and there was an uncommon detail about AF this last time, I had absolutely no cramping. And am having slight cramping now and lower back pain.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Pray tell!!! What wa the verdict? I'm experiencing similar symptoms . . . no cramping before my flow, some headaches and spotting several days afterward.
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
might be pregnant.
im just got of my period 6 days ago n im spotting does that mean im pregnant?
|

replied November 14th, 2010
The same thing is happening to me, I had unprotected sex the day after my period ended and two days ago, I started spotting , and cramps started today. I had the sex a week ago, and everything is pointing toward pregnancy but it's too early to take a test.. Sorry that this was of no help
|

replied November 18th, 2010
I am hoping someone will follow up with their post. My boyfriend and I don't use protection. I got my af like normal. It came on the 11th and ended on the 15th. This evening I used the bathroom and had a clear mucus with a tad bit of pink blood in it. Any idea what it could be?
|

replied February 9th, 2012
needs an answer
So no one has actually replied with answers on this...people keep just writing that they have the same symptoms :/ haha i think it's funny..but i wish someone would find an answer.
My period was over i believe last week, maybe a week and a half, and a couple of days ago i started spotting and having horrible cramps like i was about to get my period again. Me and my fiancee haven't used protection for over a year, and we're actually wanting a baby..but every time i think i am pregnant i get a negative result Sad I was also nauseous the other day..my boobs don't ache though so i'm unsure if i am or not. :/
|

replied February 16th, 2012
I just thought I'd put my situation up here, and I PROMISE to put my outcome up here once I figure all this out. It would be cool if you could put your results up too, once you figure yours out. Ok, here's my story:

I was on the pill for about a year; I took my last active pill on Jan 24, my period started on Jan 27, and the last day of it was on Feb 1. Then on Feb 10, I started having menstrual-like cramps, which haven't stopped yet (a week later).

I did research on ovulation pain, and everyone says it only lasts for about a day at most, and it's only on one side (in the ovary that the egg was released from). My pain is more like a dull ache in my uterus, rather than a sharp twinge in an ovary; I'll get a sharp pain if my son elbows me in the lower abdomen. Overall, it's very tender over my uterus.

So I started thinking, MAYBE something crazy happened, and I ovulated right after my period ended, and this is implantation pain. There's no bleeding, though. I figured I'd pee on a stick, but that was of course negative. My period shouldn't be due for another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

A nurse is gonna call me back to give me some advice. I figured I should call, since my research kept telling me to ask a doctor if mid-cycle pain lasted more than 2 days. And I did have 2 C-sections with my 2 kids, so maybe something bad is happening down there. But if it were really serious, you'd think my pain would be more serious as well, whereas it's just annoying right now. What's really annoying is that I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING!! Oh, and I don't have any other symptom's of pregnancy, but I never did before, either. I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't get morning sickness.

That was a lot of info, but I just wanted to make sure I got the whole story on here.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Ok. My doctor said it could be a cyst, but more likely, my body is just trying to get back to normal after being on the pill. So I'm supposed to wait and make sure my period shows up when it's supposed to, and I guess the cramping is supposed to ease up soon or something. We'll see.
|

replied February 29th, 2012
Well, the cramping stopped around Feb. 19, so I had it for about 1 1/2 weeks. And I just got my period yesterday, so it looks like the doctor was right--my body was just going through some type of withdrawal from birth control pills. I never knew that type of thing happened...
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Ok, I've had three normal periods since I stopped birth control. I don't really cramp while I'm menstruating, but around the time of ovulation each month, I have pretty bad cramps for 4 or 5 days (the first month was the longest at 1 1/2 weeks). It is definitely NOT regular ovulation pain. But this month, I had the cramps around ovulation, then they stopped, and now (almost a week later), they've started again, and they're more painful now than they've ever been. Now, I sometimes have to walk hunched over a little bit because of the pain. My period isn't due for over a week, and my cycles only fluctuate by a couple days; it just doesn't seem like PMS. I don't even really get PMS. I was also really bloated for about an hour. And I hate to admit it, but I also have a lot of gas (sorry...) during these cramps. Now, I heard these are early symptoms of pregnancy, but I definitely had a full period early this month, and I noticed egg-white cervical mucus when I ovulated. Despite all that, I took a test today anyway, and it was negative. If all this is withdrawal from birth control pills, then I am PISSED, because the doctors should TELL YOU this crap.
|

replied May 6th, 2012
Hi so what happened are you prgnant? Or just weird side effects from comming off the pill cause I have been having the same symptoms.
|

replied May 25th, 2012
There's just about no way I could be pregnant.
I certainly don't feel pregnant. I had my period the first week of May. It was pretty normal. I had slight cramping when I ovulated on the 16th, but it wasn't too bad, and it only lasted a couple days. I'm not having any discomfort right now, and it's about the same time in my cycle that the cramping started last month (the cramping started a week before my period and ended 3 days before). It would be really nice if I don't have any cramping this time. That would mean that all this crap is finally letting up and that it was all withdrawal symptoms. I guess we'll see. If by some miracle, I was actually pregnant, I would be 2 months along, so I'd be seeing a tummy by now. And my boobs would probably be more impressive. I wish...
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
My Story of Birth Control Withdrawal:
So here's a summary: I stopped taking birth control pills at the end of January. I had one relatively regular cycle after that, but the next cycle involved painful cramping and bloating. Even my boobs hurt a little bit. None of these things ever happened to me before (maybe slight cramping, but only during my period). Long story short, it wasn't until my fifth cycle after stopping birth control that I didn't have any cramping during ovulation or pre-period. So I would say it took my body about 4 months to finally stop freaking out from the hormone withdrawal. BUT, now that my cramps are gone, it seems they've been replaced by an even worse monster: PMS. Seriously, I almost NEVER got emotional from PMS before, but the last two months (cycles 4 and 5 after birth control), I've been really pissed off about 3-5 days before my period. Like, REALLY angry. Hopefully this will stop, too. At least I can recognize it and warn my poor husband, so he can protect the children from my wrath. :/
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2012
help plizz
23yrs and having the same symptoms,cramping and spotting after 3 days of my menses..i find this abnormal cos it has never happened before even though i always have painful menses...plizz help up and advice.Antonie shiku
|

replied March 12th, 2012
blood on the tissue
I need help as well......
i normally have very regular periods, but this past one was very light and lasted 5 days. now, 4 days later after urinating, theres blood on the tissue. i had unprotected sex, and now have cramps as well as the blood on the tissue. i took a test tonight, and it said i was negative. am i pregnant? is it too early???
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2012
wow,still no answers to this.Well I am having the same problem.I scheduled an appointment last week but had to reschedule because my period came on,Which was March 30th,and it was very late,I almost missed my period for March.It ended on April 3rd.Lasting 4 days which is very Unormal for me since I have really Heavy periods that last longer than the average woman,my regualar periods last for 7-10 days because i bleed very heavy.So Yesturday morning,April 9th (3days lator) I started this Pink Spotting.Oh Forgot to mention I had unprotected sex March 15th,& April 4th.Today Im still spotting,which is crazy because it had stopped yesturday evening.I had a appointment today but again they cant see me because Im spotting.So Im forced to wait it out.I have slight cramping that started today as im sitting here lol.I dont know whats going on.I have a 5 year old son and this didnt happen when i got pregnant with him,i infact didnt have any type of period what so ever with him.I need help.Do i think its a possibility i could be pregnant,yes,but its hard to tell
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2012
Pregnancy is a possibility :-)
I have had the same symptomes as many of you. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year, but have had problems due to his low sperm count and my previous fight with cervical cancer. My period was two days late but since I started feeling light cramps, I put my tampons in my purse and we headed out to enjoy our Saturday routine, which is fishing. On the way home we stopped at a store and I used the restroom and there was light pink/brown blood on the tissue. I put on a panytliner expecting to start my period. I had to use the restroom about an hour and a half later, and there it was again....light pink/brown blood on the tissue. There was nothing on my liner which confused me, but I paid it no mind. Before I went to bed I checked for my period expecting there to be blood on my liner, but there was nothing and there was nothing there when I wiped. I woke up the next morning and had watery red blood on my liner, but it wasn't enough to fill half of a pad or a tampon. I put a tampon in expecting the floodgates to open when I started moving around, but when I checked it a few hours later, there was light brown blood only on the tip. I put a liner on instead of a tampon to check the amount of blood that was coming out. I went the whole day with only a few drops of light red blood. The next day I woke up to a little blood in the liner (less than the night before) and had no more spotting for 4 days. In the 5th day there was light brown traces on the tissue, but no more red. My husband desperately wants kids, but after 12 months of disappointment, his hopes were slim to none. We thought it was just stress and forgot about it. During the week I had cramps come and go and even felt some twinges here and there, but on the 6th day I felt stronger cramps on the left side. I wasn't terribly bad compared to the horrific cramps I normally get on my cycle. I decided to end my curiosity and took a test on the 6th and there it was....positive. After talking to my doctor, I was reassured that the spotting and cramps was our little baby preparing for it's 9 month journey. This may not be everyone's case, but to those who really want a baby, I wish you much success!!!!
|
Users who thank MrsSolis for this post: dragonflower87 

replied June 13th, 2012
hi iam am married and iam am still bleeding after my periods.my periods is usually seven days.today is the eight day and still bleeding,my periods started as dark brown which was just spotting the first two days then increased on the third day.it was just below moderate.i had light backace which i don't usually have.all the cramps is done but i am still bleeding lightly can this be pregnancy. i really want a baby i need help urgently
|

replied June 28th, 2012
I am having the same problem, period started 06/18/2012 and seemed like it was over 06/25/2012. Iv had very light red spotting with cramping on and off since. I found out last year I have HPV and now I am very nervous about cervical cancer. I go in for an appointment tomorrow. Ill try and get back on here to give you guys an answer.
|

replied June 24th, 2013
Hope this helps...contact your doctor before trying anything.
This happens to me at least every other month and after going to MDs and ERs thinking I was pregnant or something terrible was happening to me, the last MD I went to told me that I was prone to ovarian cysts. I have had this problem ever since I started menstruating when I was 13 and am just now getting used to it. I also have abnormal cycles. I can usually tell when I am dealing with a cyst because of the cramps and like a previous user said, there is a slight discharge that is a light pinkish color. Usually with a cyst, there could be a very subtle odor, not one like infection but one that smells like you normally would, just a bit stronger. That's due to extra hormones. What I do to help is alternate ibuprofen and acetaminophen (so my body doesn't get used to one type of pain relief) and I will take a bath that I've added 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to. This helps with any excess discharge and helps to fight off germs. In a few days, you may notice a bit of skin when you wipe, if so, that is just the lining of the cyst passing.

**I AM NOT A DOCTOR. I AM SPEAKING SOLELY FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING ANY ADVICE LISTED ON THE INTERNET**
|

replied June 24th, 2013
Sounds familiar
I know this was three years ago but it doesn't seem like you ever got an answer. See my post at the bottom of the page.
|

replied August 6th, 2014
My period just went off yesterday morning n I had unprotected sex last night bt this morning I was spotting a little and cramping what does this mean
|

replied August 6th, 2014
My period just went off yesterday morning n I had unprotected sex last night bt this morning I was spotting a little and cramping what does this mean
|