Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Low Ejection Fraction (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I recently had a hida scan done and the result was an ejection fraction of 14% I also had a sonogram done on the gallbladder, liver, stomach etc. But everything was fine. I am not experiencing any bad pain just a dull ache once in a while in the middle of my stomach and I do feel bloated all the time. I had acid reflux in the past but it is under control, I am not on any medication for it right now. *since the ejection fraction is low is there a way it can improve?* *or does it get worse*. I went to a surgeon and he said since I am not experiencing any pain he will not take the gallbladder out. A reply would be appreciated. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper iann
|

replied June 7th, 2006
Hmm..
The hida scan shows how well your gallbladder is functioning. I've heard of people getting different results each time they've had it done. However you can still have an inflammed gall bladder even with a normal hida scan. If you're only experiencing a little bit of pain now and then and not things like nausea, vomiting or diarhhea then I wouldn't take it out just yet. But with a rate that low, if ti's correct then technically your gall bladder is not processing fats like it should and you should be having horrible side effects.
|

replied June 8th, 2006
Thanks for replying. I get a dull ache in my stomach and a tightness on my right side. I also feel bloated all the time. That is all my symptoms. I had a sonogram in october and everything looked fine. There was no mention of my gallbladder being inflammed so I don't know why there is a low ejection fraction. I was on the pill for 20 years and I heard it can affect the gallbladder. I went off it a month ago so I am hoping my gallbladder will improve. Important question: can the gallbladder improve? I hope you are feeling well.
|

replied June 8th, 2006
The hida scan does not test for inflammation, and an ultrasound cannot pick up inflammation. Their is not really anyway to tell if it is inflammed unless your white blood cell count goes up really high from fighting the inflammation. When they remove the gallbladder they can see past times that it has been inflamed.
Their are many homeopathic type remedies that people believe in for helping the gall bladder function better.
I would just think with a hida scan that low that you would be having alot of discomfort, pain, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea. I'm not sure what the percentage is for that test to be wrong, but i'm sure their's room for error on it. The bloated feeling is probably a sypmtom of your gallbadder not functioning right.
I would look up some vitamin/homeopathic type drugs that are otc and try to find them at a local viatmin shop & see if this helps with your bloating.

With changing your diet many people can keep their gallbladder for many more years. It just depends on how bad your symptoms are.

Good luck,
krystle
|

replied June 9th, 2006
Krystle thank you so much for taking the time out to answer my questions. You are a doll. I am eating less fat than what I was before. How much fat do you think I am allowed at every meal? Thanks and have a great day :d
|

replied June 9th, 2006
I'm honestly not sure on that..But I remember reading somewhere that less than 50 grams of fat is good. But I honestly don't know that much about diet, I know their are different types of fat, saturated & non-saturated. You probably just want to eat the least amount you possibly can.
|

replied July 26th, 2006
The first surgeon I went to said I don't need to take the gallbladder out unless I am in pain. He told me to see him in 3 months. I went to get a second opinion yesterday and the surgeon told me I needed surgery. Normal ejection fraction is 50% and higher I am at 14% I asked him if the gallbladder can improve? He said no it will only get worse. I don't want to wait for it to get worse that scares me. So I am scheduled for surgery next wednesday. I hope I am making the right decision. Even though I am on a low fat diet and taking enzymes I still feel tightness and sometimes burning where the gallbladder is.
|

replied January 17th, 2009
44% low EF
I had and ablasion done in Jan o5. The thing that bothers me the most is still here. Left arm goes dead crushing chest pain, can't breath and sweat like mad. These last 3 to 4 minutes some times longer.The tacardia is gone! I just got my medical records and for the first time found out I had anything wrong with my heart(44% EF). I was going to have a diffrent surgery and needed to get cardiac clearence,that is when this came about.Do I have something to worrie about?
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2009
HELP Preparing for HIDA
My scan is today. What happens if you are sick and can't eat much for days before the HIDA? What happens if you eat before a HIDA, I am getting different instructions to not eat 6 hours before scan, and another told me 4 hours before scan; what is correct?. Also they told me not to drink any coffee, which I can't anyway. I don't want a false positive. What gives you a false positive?
|

replied December 3rd, 2010
answer to: Question about eating before hida scan
Just Had Hida scan 2 days ago. Instructions said nothing 6 hours before, but they told me 4 hours before was ok. so if you are having it in the afternoon go ahead and eat early am. Also they said if you starve yourself, ( like not eat anything since 5pm the day before, and having it done at 1pm next day) it will show false results. So basically eat 4-5 hrs before.
|

replied December 18th, 2010
Gall bladder ejection fraction?
I had a HIDA scan completed that showed a 39% efection fraction. I was told that this is a low normal....low enough to cause problems but not low enough to do anything about it?? Is there anything I can do to improve this number? Or will the number just get lower? My symptoms aren't too bad, I guess. I get nauseated/vomit if I eat a high fat meal, get sick with certain medications, some indigestion now and then but not a lot of pain that people talk about. Any help/commets would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
I had a hida scan 2 months ago that showed 4% function. Prior to that I had ultra sounds, CT scans, MRI's. Everything came back normal.I was experiencing nausea, late night attacks of severe stomach pains and dry heaving and bloating. I went to see a surgeon. He sais 4% is very abnormal and that I should have the gallbladder removed. He told me that about 85% of patients who have the surgery feel better, but 15% do not. I am now 2 1/2 weeks post surgery. The nausea has lessened a lot, no nightly attacks so far. I feel pretty good. I tried to cut out fats prior to the surgery. I did not have any nightly attacks, but I still had nausea daily. I just had my post op appointment and the doc told me they found inflammation in the gallbladder once they took it out. I am hoping all of the symptoms will go away completely.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
My HIDA scan result showed a 3% ejection fraction. I have had pain for 10+ years and sure wish I would have done this test earlier!! I guess I just got used to "managing" the pain. Anti-inflammatory and a hot bath or heating pad usually worked well for me. I would always have an attack and then be in slight pain for a day or two afterward. The HIDA scan was a little uncomfortable, but it was after that found me in a ton of pain! I don't know for sure what causes the attacks. I can eat fatty foods and be fine, and I can eat no fat, and still be in pain! It really is just random, it feels, but I'm sure it's what I eat that causes the bile to pile up and not be released. Anyway, I am SO glad that we have things such as the HIDA scan -- I am scheduled to get my GB out this summer (I'm a teacher, so I have to wait a bit), and can't wait for relief!! Smile Good luck all!
|

replied August 14th, 2011
Any improvements?
I have the same symptoms and an EF of 6%. I don't hurt constantly but have a dull ache and bloating most of the time. When I do hurt badly, boy do I hurt. My surgery is 2 days away and I'm still not sure if surgery is the answer. How did your surgery go and have you seen improvements since? Thanks for trying to clear the confusion,
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Hida Scan at 7 percent
I had the Hida Scan done on Friday and went to doctor today and mine was abnormally low at 7 percent. Seeing the surgeon on Monday, but my doctor is a little worried, as I have had previous gastric bypass and he is worried about cutting into the stomach. What does everyone else think. I have been in severe pain and nauseau for awhile and I need some relief and haven't been able to loose more then 65 pounds with the gastric. What is everyones thoughts on this..Thank you and good luck and hope everyone feels better.
|

replied September 7th, 2012
You probably have adhesions - how are you feeling now? I've had 7 abdominal surgeries and no one wants to cut into me because of the adhesions and each time they have had to they remove some of the adhesions and I feel great for a few months, then back to being in pain and intestinal symptoms.
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Hida Scan at 7 percent
I had the Hida Scan done on Friday and went to doctor today and mine was abnormally low at 7 percent. Seeing the surgeon on Monday, but my doctor is a little worried, as I have had previous gastric bypass and he is worried about cutting into the stomach. What does everyone else think. I have been in severe pain and nauseau for awhile and I need some relief and haven't been able to loose more then 65 pounds with the gastric. What is everyones thoughts on this..Thank you and good luck and hope everyone feels better.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
Experienced User
Previous abdominal surgery makes it much more likely that you will need open surgery instead of keyhole surgery. Very often they will start with the keyhole and then switch to open if they can't see everything clearly or get at the organs properly. It shouldn't be something that rules out gallbladder removal completely. I don't know about the gastric bypass specifically, but it is obviously something that can put organs in unusual positions and might mean open surgery is necessary.

I believe that at a certain level of obesity they also prefer to do open surgery, although obviously laparoscopic cholocystectomy is very commonly done on people considerably overweight. You'll have to discuss that with your surgeon depending on where you are at right now.
|
Users who thank iann for this post: proundnana 

replied October 23rd, 2011
Hida scan
The removal of your gallbladder will in more than 98% of cases relieve whatever feelings or symptoms you have in the right upper abdomen, if the ejection fraction within 60 min is less than 60%. This procedure should be done laparoscopically. Bariatric surgery leads to gallbladder dysfunction especially with malabsorptive procedures-thsi should have been explained by yout surgeon.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
Can gallbladder improve?
One year ago, I went to the md with excruciating stomach pain lasting for hours, they found gallstones, and did a HIDA scan which revealed a 17% ejection fraction. I have been wanting to save my gallbladder, so I stopped taking birth control pills, and started taking ursodiol to dissolve the gallstones. Six months later, there were no gallstones on the ultrasound. However, I still feel bad, I have no pain, but I am constantly bloated and have heartburn. I have been told by various doctors and surgeons contradicting information. A low-functioning gallbladder causes gallstones and gallstones cause a low-functioning gallbladder. Does anyone know which one is true? If gallstones are gone, can the gallbladder improve or not?
|

replied October 25th, 2011
See the above post. The stones formed becuase your gallbladder does not functin correctly. Do yourself a favour and find a competent surgeon to remove your gallbladder with a laparoscopic procedure.
Your symptoms WILL disappear!
|

replied November 8th, 2011
pain!
I have been having upper right abdomen/back pain so my doctor referred me to a gastro and he did a hida scan. 3 weeks after I still hadn't gotten a call with the results,I emailed them. They replied saying my ef was 13% and the surgeon would call me this week. My consultation is in 2 days but today and yesterday I have been expierencimg terrible back pain that wakes me up crying at night,now tonight my abdomen is hurting so bad it's almost unbearable and the back pain is getting worse by the minute. Could something bad happen if I just wait until I see the surgeon? Or if I go tithe ER is there anything they can do? With work and taking care of my child I don't think I can put up with this for even another day..especially with my current pain at the moment. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
|

replied November 8th, 2011
Phone the surgeon and see him earlier!
|
12 >>