Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Is There Something Wrong With My 2 Year Old??

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I have a 2 year old who is currently in speach therapy, and is going to be beginning developement therapy. Before he began the therapy, they gave him a series of tests in different areas. My concern is that the highest he scored on the speach and developemental was 18 mo old level, the rest he scored was 12 mos and below.....And some even 6 mos old. He does not know how to talk, can only say a few words, and the words he does know he repeats over and over like a 6 mos olds babble. He doesnt know how to express when he is hungry, so its a guessing game on what to feed him and when. And most of the time he doesnt want what I give him and will go all day without eating (i bring out several different kinds of food through out the day trying my hardest to give him something he likes so he will eat). Does anyone have any suggestions? Im just worried that they may be overlooking things. The speach therapist told me she has had kids similar to him and they made huge progress within a month or two....Its been 3 mos and the only word he will say is ball, and he says it over and over like this "ballballballball"

please someone respond, I feel like im alone with this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 2nd, 2006
I might be wrong, but it sounds like he has auticism. I dont know much about it however...You should consult a doctor in my opinion
|

replied June 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I thought the same thing at first......But I am not an expert.....Havn't any children yet......My cousin's kid is autistic so I have been around it. I would express this to your child's doctor and he will take a closer look and maybe get a second doctor to look into it too.
|

replied June 2nd, 2006
Wow, that scares me that ya'll said that, cuz I have actually been thinking the same thing...... I have posted on a few autism forums about 6 mos ago, and they said it doesnt sound like it....So I dont know. But I have also heard that no child with autism can be compared to another because they are all so different.

How would ya'll approach this with a Dr.? I guess since im so young I feel like I dont know how to talk to the dr about it and have him see my concern important. It seems like everyone has always told me that my children are just fine and im overreacting when im concerned about something (even though it always does turn out to be something wrong).

My 6 mos old daughter was born with hirschprungs disease (its where you have no nerve endings in part of your intestines therefore not able to poop at all). When I brought her home from the hospital she didnt eat for 17 hours straight, and everyone told me she was fine. I brought her to the er anyways, and they life flighted her to the closest childrens hospital where she stayed till she was 17 days old and underwent surgery to remove the diseased intestines while there......So that goes to show that its not always just "okay" like everyone tells me.

I guess my question is.....Am I overreacting? Is this a good concern...Or should I just give it more time and see if he progresses? I guess im just worried that he is going to be in preeschool in a little over a year, and the way he is now, he wont be able to go. I guess if there is something else besides "just being behind" I want it discovered asap...Afterall the sooner the better you ca help them and understand them more right? I just feel so frustrated for him, because he doesnt understand what is going on, and why certain things cant be, and I cant understand what he wants and how he feels either.

Please tell me im not going insane and just overreacting like everyone tells me lol
|

replied June 3rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well, how did you get him into speech therapy? You had to have been proactive in that! I would take the findings of the speech therapist to his doctor, the speaking at an age level beneath himself, along with his progress or what you perceive as his lack of progress. You are the mom and you are not overreacting! ;) you are being a great mom by making sure your child gets the help he needs.

I don't see it as autism though. Perhaps asperger's syndrome (a higher end - or lesser version - or autism), but i'm no doctor, so don't listen to me!!

What I learned by having a child with severe attention deficit disorder and oppositional defiant disorder, coupled with a very high level of intelligence was the best thing to give children is structure. Don't question when to feed him, have a schedule. We eat breakfast every day at 8am. Snack is every day at 10am. Lunch is every day at noon. Snack is every day at 2pm. Etc. Nap times, bed times, bath times, all should remain the same consistent time. That way children learn to know what to expect out of their day and can adapt to fit that. Often people take a very relaxed approach to parenting, but having a structure and a schedule can make all the difference in the world.

(i'm not saying you don't already have this in place, it just is what i've seen work in many instances for a lot of kids.)

good luck. And just be honest with the doctor about your feelings and things you have seen and bring documention with you!
|

replied June 3rd, 2006
I definitely agree with you on the structure thing. My only problem is when it comes to meal time. I begin feeding at the same times everyday.....But it takes him hours before he will actually eat it. So I do it at a scheduled time....But he still eats on his own time, its very frustrating. His naps he does really good with, when he is ready to go to bed, he lets me know. I will definitely bring him to the doctor soon and bring in my report from the speach therapist...

Just one more question for everyone....

I was talking to my husband about all this, and he said that the speach therapist would tell us if something was wrong/off with him... Is that so? I guess I just figure that she is there for speach, and not to diagnose kids with disorders or problems. As far as her tests go, she just checks off what he can do, then scores them up....I dont really think she is qualified to tell me right? I guess he figures we told the doc he isnt talking, he sent us to her, and she is the one to tell us what to do next....Is that what usually happens?
|

replied June 10th, 2006
Update
He had an appointment with the ear nose and throat specialest for a follow up on his tubes. While in the appointment the nurse asked if he could talk. I told her know and she asked me "whats wrong" with him. I told her I dont know, as far as everyone has told me, he is just "delayed". She looked at me funny, like I should know a medical term for why my son is the way he is. Next the doc came in. And again, she asked me what is wrong with him. I told her the same thing. She told me that I should asked the speach therapist how is progress is doing, and what she thinks. So the next day at speach therapy I asked. She didnt understand why they were saying those things to me. The ear nose and throat doc told me that if he isnt making progress that maybe he needs to see a specialest and get further eval. The speach therapist told me thats what she did, and he is getting help. I asked her then what do I say when people ask? She said he is just delayed.....

I dunno if that is enough for me. She is only qualified for speach therapy, I dont see how she is qualified for testing to see if there is a reason he is delayed.....He can hear fine, the doc checked that at the appt. And the doc cant see why he isnt saying new words after 3 mos at his age. He should be saying atleast 4 clear words by 1, and he says only one clear word...And thats "no". By his age he should be putting words together....The only thing he puts together is the same word over and over. I dunno, im really frustrated. I guess ill just wait it out and see what happens.
|

replied June 22nd, 2006
He May Be Alright
I have been around kids a lot and here is what I have to say:
my little brother never talked until he was 3.5. All he could say was, "whoo?" like a monkey. Of course, he was the third child and he really didn't need to talk. He would just "whoo?" and point, and we would know what he meant somehow. Now he is 19 and pretty brilliant.

I have a friend who's son is very laid back and behind in speech but he does not have autism. He doesn't seem to react to much either. But he is getting better. So does your son seem to react and get antsy/excited? If so, thats probably a good sign. Also, how are his motor skills?

Something that I have seem lots of mothers do is learn and teach their small children sign language. You can make up your own signs, as long as you are consistent. Like, "i'm hungry" or "banana" or "all done" or "potty." if he can make some kind of gesture to you, he may become a lot more confident about communicating, which will be less stressful for both of you, and you would be able to see if he is able to put communicative ideas together.

I though I would put my two cents in since i've seen that a lot.
|

replied June 23rd, 2006
Update
Thankyou for all your input. I had to bring him in to the family doctor a few weeks ago because of an ear infection. While there he asked about speach therapy and I told him about all my concerns and we talked about how he isnt progressing since going. He is giving be a referall to be evaluated at the state childrens hospital. I guess it is going to be a all day appointment, possibly over two days. He is thinking it sounds like aspergers (sp?), but he isnt saying thats what he has since he has not had the proper evaluation and testing for it. I am still awaiting the appointment. I am very anxious to find out if there is anything causing a delay, and if there is hopefully it will be easier for me to understand how to take care of him and teach him better if I know. I will update after the eval, might be a few mos.
|

replied September 6th, 2006
Experienced User
After reading all these posts, it would be interesting to hear an update. My neighbor's son is almost 3 and he isn't really talking yet. He has a very limited vocabulary. But, his speech therapist went off the beaten path and taught him some sign language to express his needs and he does really well with that. Hope everything turns out ok!!!
|

replied September 15th, 2006
My mom's friend has two children who are autistic and I have babysat them before. While reading your post that was the first thought that entered my mind. Her oldest boy started talking at the age of 2 and it seemed as though after his sister was born he stopped. After they ran a couple of tests, they were told by doctors that him and the newborn girl are autistic. If this is your case, which I hope it isnt, this and mostly the rest of his life are going to be difficult. My mom's friend has special babysitters that watch them while their mom is still home to help her and give her a break from the kids. They are now 15 and 13 and all is well for their condition. Good luck and I hope your son doesnt have the same problem. :)
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Hi sorry if someone has already suggested this, I didn't read all the answers, but have you tried to get him onto ia baby sign language course, even if he was autistic he would still learn sign language and be able to comunicate, or even if you made some cards with different types of food and basic needs on and had him point out what he wanted....

I used to look after a 3 year old who had autism and his mum used the picture cards to help him communicate innitially...

Also, if you think there is something not right with one of your children then insist and keep on insisting, a doctor may over look things or dismiss you as being over the top or over protective - but you are the childs mother!!!!

I hope all goes well for you and your children!!
|

replied June 27th, 2009
hi everyone!
my 2 and a half year old son is not talking yet!
he can only say mama but not all the time. he babbles but doesnt imitate to words you want him to say. what its frustrating is that, his not showing any interest of anything i m teaching him. he doesnt pay attention to what i say most of the time..his hearing was already tested.no problem was seen.
now he is being assessed for autism. im just frustrated because i feel that im a failure...an incompetent mother who cant train a child to be a smart one. he knows nothing. cant even count. doest know his abc and colors too.
even if i sing to him everyday, repeating the songs over and over again, he cant remember them.
well, i taught him action songs and he does it sometimes...very seldom, i should say.

but my son's so sweet. he kisses me and his dad and his baby brother always. he always gives me a hug.
lately...he is potty trained but still with plenty of accidents.but his doing really great.

my problem thats been bothering me is speech delay and a slight autism.
any mothers out there experiencing what im going through now?
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
I have heard time and again that it is perfectly normal (although not very common) for 2-3 year olds to have "trouble" with speech development. It is not a problem at all. Yet. Most of the 2-year-olds I've known I could barely understand, if at all. Lack of speech at that age is more often than not a good sign, as people with high IQs usually start life "a bit slow." It has been proven time and time again. Speech therapy for a 2-year-old is, in my opinion, BS. Honestly, how many people can understand what a kid that age is saying? 9 times out of 10, you can't. Whoever suggested speech therapy obviously only did so for the money. NO child that age needs speech therapy. There are 5 and 6 year olds who are still hard to understand, like my goddaughter. She's 8 now, and in those last two years, her speech improved dramatically WITH NO OUTSIDE HELP. My advice to you is to stop wasting money on speech therapy and let your kid prove himself on his own. Really. Have you ever met a grade school kid or an adult who demonstrated poor speech skills? No, because they got over it on their own. Most people cannot afford speech therapy. The very few people you run across with speech problems are victims of accidents or illnesses.
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2009
I have a Mildly Autistic son who is 12yrs old, he is also hearing impaired and ADHD.
I knew when he was a baby he was autistic on some level
he never cried ,even when wet or soiled , never smiled at me or any person only at objects or the ceiling.
he was delayed in every aspect exspecialy speech.. he did say a few words between the ages of 6mo and 1 yr and then some how just stopped.he pointed and gestered for everything.hated warm milk as a baby ..it always had to be cold..age 2 he started to become hyper and agressive ..wich was a huge change from being a child who was so quiet and almost seemmed like he wasn't there with you...did not like to wear clothing hated tags in his clothing..hated showers but would love baths..did not like course textured food but loved food like yogurt , milk, pudding, applesause, anything cold and soft !He did not say his first 2-3 word sentence till he was 6 and a half years old and now I can not keep him quiet ! LOL! He also has many sensory issues,,dosen't like to be touched or hugged unless he initiates it, doesn't feel pain like you and I would feel pain..he doesn't respond to extreme pain like when he gets cut or burnned..I have to check him constantly to see if he's hurt, but OH my if you slightly touch him or if he steps on somethin small and gets a tiny poke ..lord have mercy he will scream like he's dyin!!
I don't think your over reacting..I am the one who actually diagnosed my child when they couldn't figure out what was wrong.I did all the research and threw it all on the dr's desk and said go ahead and tell me theres nothing wrong and not to compair him to my other children..he fit every thing to a tee and I finally got a diagnoses on papper and I got help for him through the school system..He's in the 7th grad in a instructional skills class and is a straight A student doing 4th-5th grade work.the earlier you get a dianoses for any disorder the better off your child and you will be because you will be able to get him the help he needs ..So no you are not over reacting ! GOOD luck and GOD Bless !
|
Quick Reply