Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Smell Cigarette Smoke

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I thought I posted a question last night, but I don't see it.

I smell cigarette smoke all the time when there is no one smoking. It is becoming quite a distressing issue for me. I know it's just me because my family cannot smell anything.

Any idea what might be causing this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lorintucson
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Strange sense of smell
Do you still suffer from this or have you found the reason why....I suffer exactly the same thing albeit for a few days at a time and then it clears again. Its very bizarre. I thought maybe it was something to do with being dehydrated.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Can't stand the smell!!

I was amazed when I saw how many people had this strange thing going on too. Thought I was loosing it:) I don't smoke, never have. No one in my family does and this has been going on for about 2 weeks now. At first I thought maybe the candles I was burning were smelling kind of weird. I stopped burning them and I could still smell smoke. Now it's getting so strong that it's making me sick to my stomach. If I close my eyes, I could swear someone was smoking right next to me. I feel like I am getting a sinus infection and everything that I have read on line, everyone else has said they have had one or just got over one. This is just crazy. I have putting vicks vaporub under my nose just to try and get rid of the smell for a while. If anyone has any real reason for this, please post it. I am going to an ENT doctor tomorrow to see if they can see anything. I will post something if anything comes back.
|

replied October 5th, 2009
Smelling smoke that's not really there
I have found lots on info online regarding this phenomena. It's quite distressing, I've been smelling cigarette smoke for a about a week now. I'm under quite a bit of stress with family healthy issues, so I'm thinking it does have to do with stress. It's pretty awful. There are some good articles on Phantosmia, it's official name.It can be caused by some serious health issues, but at least I know others have it, I'm not going crazy. I even thought it could be a 'memory' from childhood, as my father smoked. I hate the smell the smoke, can't stand it, and the older I get, the more it bothers me. Also look up phantosmis and Leopold, and doctor who specializes in helping people with it. Thank you.
|

replied October 20th, 2009
smelling cig smoke
omg wow i have been smelling this cigerette smoke also sooo weird i thought i was jsut going crazy until i went to this group for parents at Better Beginnings Better Futures program and they did a class on post partum depressiona and she mentioned smelling something burnng is a sign of stress so it started to get me thinking. I dont feel stressed out and I'm not on any meds. I am a single mom of 3 boys though and just had my last boy 3 months ago. i seem to feel fine but maybe deep down im not i dont know but got me thinking anyway.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
There is a much, much longer thread on this topic in the Ear, Nose, and Throat forum. You may find more answers there:
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic31962. html
|
Quick Reply