Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Temperature Stored For Nuvaring?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Does anybody know why there is a temperature limit to store the nuvaring (59 to 86 degrees f)? Does it effect it somehow? I was just wondering because I kept some in my car for a while and it gets really hot in there like 90s so I was just wondering if anything like that could make it ineffective or something. :?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cutie_poo
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2006
Experienced User
There is a temperature limit on the storing place of the nuvaring mainly because it helps to preserve the viability of the hormones in the nuvaring..Like food and other stuffs when you place them on a hostilie or too hot environment they tend to spoil...Same as with nuvaring when you store them in a hot environment they will lose their effectivity or at least be lessened...Actually pharmacist encourage that they should be kept refrigerated for them to last until the stated expiration date...According to the nurse at planned parenthood if you didn't keep them refrigerated they would loose their effectiveness for four months...How much more if you keep them inside your car?...Didn't they told you these information when they have dispensed the nuvaring..How long have you been keeping them in your car? If longer than 4 months, according to the nurse, they are not viable anymore
|

replied May 29th, 2006
I've only kept it in the car for like 4 or 5 hours but I didnt refrigerate them before. I''ve had them for about 4 months now and I haven't put them in the refrigerator, I just stored them in a cabinet in my room. So what would u advise me to do?
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Nuvarings are designed to release hormone when at body temperature. Therefore the 4 months expiration is for if you have them stored at room temperature. If you have them in your car, and it gets very hot inside your car (i.e. at least 98.6F) the hormones will begin releasing from the ring and make it less effective. If a Nuvaring has been left in a hot car for even a few hours it may not work as it is intended to. Best bet is to just keep them in your fridge.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2006
Experienced User
Well actually according to the nurse in planned parenthood...When nuvarings are not refrigerated, they only last for four months...I probably dispose them if I were you...But i'm not sure though..Check it with your gyne
|

replied May 19th, 2008
storing Nuvaring
I was never told by anyone, doctor or nurse or Planned Parenthood or anyone, that I should refrigerate Nuvaring. Trouble is, I kept them in a drawer. I bought 4 at a time through the Internet and have been using them as directed. However, I'm on my last ring now, and it's been exactly 4 months with no refrigeration. Is it still working? From now on, I'll always store them in the fridge, but I'm too poor to buy another one now.

Part of me thinks it's ok, as with the 28-day scheledule, technically I should have a little breathing room. Also, my house was very cold for the past few months, around 50 degrees F. I think I could get away with using the ring. What do you think? AND, why did no one tell me this???

Also, my rings said on the package good till 2010, so I never thought about it.
|

replied February 10th, 2009
i was told to store them in the fidge but if you look at the nuvaring web site is says Do not store in the refidgerator so i dont know which one your really suppossed to do but i am going to listen to my doctor and put them in the fridge
|

replied September 18th, 2010
nuvaring refridgeration
I have a four month old grandson that, if he could talk, would say store them in the fridge.....
|

replied September 21st, 2010
You did decrease effectiveness/shelf life by even an hour of such a warm temp. 4-5 Hours is more than enough to do so. On the package should have said "refrigerate" (at the very least as a note to your pharmacist). Mine, from mail order, come in a cold pack for that very reason.

The website DOES NOT say not to refridgerate them! Whoever said that is wrong. This is what the official answer is:

"Avoid direct sunlight or storing above 86°F (30°C)."

You may not be able to afford to replace it, but I recommend your significant other use a condom until you get new ones.
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Directly from NuvaRing product information : "Store NuvaRing at room temperature, 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit). Temperatures can be from 59-86F (15-30C). Avoid direct sunlight or storing above 86F (30C)."

It was explained to me that NuvaRing is activated by being brought up to body temperature. Thus logic would point toward any having been stored above recommended temperatures will have been activated and would not be effective.

Also, seeing that it states NuvaRing should not be stored below 59F (and does not specifically recommend refrigeration), I personally would not store it in the refrigerator for it would be too cold.

I would follow the product instructions because the manufacturer knows best about their own product (and volunteers at PP might not know the specifics of the chemistry used).
|

replied October 24th, 2011
When I first got my nuvaring, my doctor/nurse never told me that I should keep it refrigerated. They told me to just keep it away from sunlight and in room temperature.

However, this time, I just bought a year supply of nuvaring. Then the Planned Parenthood nurse told me that I should keep it refrigerated. It made me worry about the previous 2 months... But since I am NOT pregnant, I am assuming it worked fine... But I'll be keeping my nuvarings in the fridge.

On top of the box, it clearly says:

FOR THE DISPENSER: STORE REFRIGERATED 36'-46'F (2'-8'C).

I know I am NOT the dispenser, but since I am storing a year supply, I'll keep them in the fridge. on the bottom of the fridge door.
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
Nuva ring expiration
can I put a Nuva ring in if its expired past the expiration date by 5 months. It has been in my fridge and away from light. I need a form of Birth control I cant get in to see my doctor for a yearly checkup to get more until like three weeks...Put it in or not even mess with it? Will it be effective after 5-6months..?
|