Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

What to Stay Away From?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
Hey.... I just was wondering... Does anyone know of things you should stay away from if you are on birth control pills? For example, I know that antibiotics and other medications can lower the effectivness of birth control... But is there anything else that can lower the effect of it?

Things such as hair colour/hair bleech, advil, alcohol, things like this... Are they bad to use???

Thanks..

Last edited by julia1311 on May 26th, 2006 03:59 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Saint johns wort you should stay away from
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Experienced User
carifairy wrote:
saint johns wort you should stay away from

thanks; anything else any know of.........?
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Cigarrettes. You should never smoke when you take birth control pills because of the risk of blood clots.

You should also use a condom as 'backup' and to protect yourself from sexually transmitted diseases.

Ask your pharmacist when you get prescriptions filled if they will affect your birth control pills.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Yaaa.... I knew about the cigarrettes... Good thing I don't smoke
so I shouldn't be worried about colouring my hair or anything? Guess that sounds stupid but i'm just concerned...

Thanks again
|

replied May 26th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Nope. If you had to worry about coloring your hair, there would be a lot of bleach bottle blondes who 'oops' got pregnant. ;)

antibiotics, cigs, and st. John's wort are all I can think of.

Take it at the same time every day and you should be safe.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Thank you so much
|

replied May 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeh I quit smoking about 2 weeks before I went on bc now ive started again tho im cutting down and trying to stop.... Tho on the mini pill its not so dangerours to smoke....

And antibiotics and st johns wort... I got asked whether I used this when I went for my bc anyway... Could u imagine if dying ur hair or alcohol effected it? That would suck lol.... Xxx
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Mmm hmmm.... That wouuld suck...

How about face washes/clensers that are special for acne treatment?
Just basic stuff from a drug store....
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2010
interactions
what about methylprednisolone and hydroxyz hcl for an allergic reaction?
|