Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

D&C After C-Section?

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
How risky is this proceedure after a c section?

My wife is concerned that if they interfere with the scar tissue from the recent c section it may affect her chances of bearing another child later on.

What is the risks and drawbacks?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2006
Community Volunteer
How long ago was her c-sec? Is she getting and abortion or is this a required d&c?
|

replied May 25th, 2006
She had the c section only two weeks ago. The d&c is required to clean out some clotting and possibly left over placenta.

I heard it's rare to require a d&c after a c section
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I'm assuming she is still bleeding quite a bit and having a hard time because tissue is left inside her, and that is why they want to do the d&c, right?

What are her options? If she doesn't have the d&c, is she at risk of infection? In which case, wouldn't that cause more scar tissue?

These are questions you should ask the doctor. Perhaps a second opinion.
|

replied May 25th, 2006
She went to her ob for a post checkup.

She is still bleeding and then ob suspects left over tissue.

The ob performed the cs and the checkup. She will also be performing the d&c.

The ob has advised that leaving the tissue in will most likely have worse repercusions than having the d&c due to the risk of infection.

I've asked her if the ob mentioned any further details but she doesn't think so (understandably she has a memory like a goldfish at the moment)
|

replied May 25th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
A d&c is a fairly routine, straight forward procedure. There is risk with any operation and you'd need to weigh those risks with the eventual outcome.

Good luck.
|