Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Planned Parenthood Questions

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Anyone that has ever gone to a planned parenthood clinic ( or knows anything about it) will hopefully be able to help me!
I want to start using birth control pills, and I want to go to a pp in my city. I know where it is and everything, and I know the costs vary. However, I don't know how the procedure works. I went online, but I still have some questions.
When I go there for birth control, do they have to do a gyn test to perscribe me pills? I think theres a program there where you dont need one i'm not sure..
Also, since I am under 18 and still living at home with my parents is it possible that I dont have to give them my adress so they dont send things home? (same goes for phone #)
is it also possible to just walk in and have someone see you immidiately?
I live in massachusetts if that helps :d
if anyone has any more relevant information/stories they want to share about pp please do, I need all the information I can get :)
thanks for everything!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
You can go to your local clinic and its confidential they can either give you the shot or put you on the pill which ever you would like. Or the next time you go back to your doctor you can tell them you want to be put on birth control or you want the shot <dempo shot> and its confidential. I have never had the shot, but I have a friend that has been on the shot and it can last for three months.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Good for you for being proactive about birth control. The best I can tell you, as everywhere is slightly different, is to call the clinic. They will not send anything to your home and the cost will more than likely be nothing for you.

When I have been to pp, i've had female exams. But i've heard of other women who haven't. So... I don't know.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
I've been going to planned parenthood for over 2 years.

The first time I went in, I didn't need an exam to get a prescription, but I eventually did have to get one every year once I turned 18. And really, it's not that bad at all.

Everything is confidential. You can choose what number they call and they don't even have to say it's planned parenthood on the phone if you don't want them to. They make sure your privacy is secure, so don't worry about that at all.

I personally didn't make enough money through my high school/college jobs to have to pay for anything. Everything has been free, aside from the donations I give when I go in. It all depends on your income though, so if you make enough you may have to pay. It varies a lot.

As for walk-ins, you can usually just walk in, but I prefer to call ahead so I know I can get in.

I love planned parenthood and i'm so glad I have one right in my home town. It's totally private and you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helped!
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
ingi wrote:
good for you for being proactive about birth control. The best I can tell you, as everywhere is slightly different, is to call the clinic. They will not send anything to your home and the cost will more than likely be nothing for you.

When I have been to pp, i've had female exams. But i've heard of other women who haven't. So... I don't know.

i think you can request a woman for the exam if there is a woman that is there to do the exam :idea:
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
In my area they only employ women... ;)
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Good to hear that would be kinda **** I dunno how to explain it you know what I mean. Last week was the first time a nurse has ever seen my area before, and it was because of a catherdan or however you spell it. Felt very weird someone sticking a tube in you heh. :oops:
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
even if you give them your address, will the send you things from the mail?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Probably not.

You can certainly ask to make sure nothing is sent to your home address
|