Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

I can't stop Pretending I'm in a Relationship that is a Fant

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
Hi I need to know what is wrong with me. I am an 18 year old female and since the age of 13 I have constantly been talking to myself. I also think that older people e.G. Teachers are in love with me. I have a fantasy life inside my head where I am in a relationship with someone I know or just a made up person. The senario is almost real but I am talking to myself and pretending someone else is with me. Nobody knows about my problem and I have no other problems like this in my life. I need to know whats wrong with me and why I can't stop prentending I am in a relationship with someone i'm not.
Help me!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2006
Schizophrenia Answer A1002
Doctors do not diagnose fantasies as diseases, no matter how far they are from reality. Mental illness exists when a person is unaware that such thoughts are fantasies; these people believe that a fabrication is the truth, is reality. Your letter itself is evidence that you are not ill. You can talk to a trusted counselor or seek help from a mental health professional (often there are free services for students in school) in order to talk about how you can manage fantastical thoughts, and begin to move toward making realistic dreams come true!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.