Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

When Does the Pill Start Working?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey I just started the pill today... When does it start working? Like how many days does it take till you are fully protected?
Thanks you for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Not days hun...Try about 6 mths before it has your system straight....And the pill does not make you fully protected..... The only way to be completely protected is to not have sex. Use anther form of bc with the pill.
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Heya deysi,
so have you already been to the doctor for the pill, or are you just wondering?
Usually, when you pick up birth controll pills, there is an information leaflet inside the pack which should answer all those questions.

There are different types of pill, and different brands of types!
Usually though as a general rule, your protection depends on when you sart taking it- if you take your first ever pill on the first day of your period, you should be protected immediately. You can have sex whenever you like. If you take it mid-cycle, or any other time during your cycle, it can take 14 days, you'd be better off using condoms untill your next period.
There are lots of resources on the internet to answer common questions, but first try just typing the name of your own pill into a search engine- them you'll be sure the information is relevent to you.
The pill is nearly 100% effective in preventing pregnancy if taken correctly (they say 10% but I got pregnant with my first daughter while taking it-properly!)
it will not protect you against sexually transmitted infections or diseases though, condoms combined with the pill should give you complete cover.. Some sexually transmitted diseases can lead to infertility, ad most are unpleasant or painful, so it's important to remember to protect yourself.
Take care
xel.
|

replied May 23rd, 2006
|
Tags: Pregnancy
Quick Reply