Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

the Best Sls-free Toothpaste? (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Sodium lauryl sulfate, or sls, is responsible for canker sores and is also found in 99.9% of toothpastes on the market. The reason it's in there is people don't feel like they're cleaning their teeth if there are no bubbles and fizz, and without sls, there are no buubles and fizz. Without sls, there are also no canker sores. I had at least three at any given time for the first 19 years of my life until I stopped using a toothpaste with sls.

All I can find without sls is worthless 'natural' toothpastes which contain chalk, and 'rembrandt for canker sore sufferers' which costs $8 for 3 ounces, and appears to not really work at all as a toothpaste.

Does anyone know of a good sls-free toothpaste?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ayrios
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
SLS Toothpaste
Trader Joe's had a really good All Natural Peppermint toothpaste at 6 oz for only $1.99 that I've been using for probably over 3 years...until now. I was disappointed to see that it was no longer on the shelf when I visited the store today. During the time I've used this toothpaste, rarely did I have a canker sore, maybe 1-2 a year - if that. If anyone can suggest any good, inexpensive alternatives out there, it would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied February 24th, 2014
Hi, I actually run a website on SLSFree products. we list a number of products, both shampoo and toothpaste. These aren't my own products just to be clear.

If you had any questions on SLS Free products I'd be more than happy to help answer them.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
I also had canker sores but at that time, I didn't think it had anything to do with the toothpastes that I was using. Then I started getting more involved with toothpastes and all that. I'm using Biotene which doesn't have that, I also use their mouthwash. I bought Tom's toothpaste but haven't tried that yet, that is also free of SLS... along with their mouthwash. Those are the two I know of, I have also used Therabreath which is free of SLS aswell, but that's more for bad breath and I don't know how good it is for my teeth because it doesn't mention anything.... only about getting rid of bad breath. Overall, I'd go with Biotene.
|

replied February 20th, 2009
Brands of Toothpaste
What brands are the best sls free toothpaste
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Biotene, sensodyne, and Tom's are the most common brands but any all natural toothpaste sold at health food stores are SLS free.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Fluocaril toothpaste, is it sls free
please reply soonest possible, thanks.
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Toothpaste/toothbrush Alternative
Neem twigs are chewed to a)release innate cleaning chemicals and b)to form a a brush, which is then used to brush teeth. Saliva generated in the chewing process is NOT swallowed (excess, during chewing is spat out).
I do not know the English equivalent terminology for Neem. However, Google it and you'll be astonished. Neem plant products have been used in the Far East for centuries; nothing new.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
SLA prescription toothpaste
RX Prevident toothpaste is SLS free. It is designed for decay, and sensitivity protection. There is also a dry mouth formula.
|

replied August 24th, 2009
SLS Free Toothpaste
I would try Verve Ultra. Except for fewer bubbles (it is SLS Free), the taste is like ordinary toothpaste, even better than most. Not available in a lot of stores, but you can get it online fairly cheap. It has definitely helped with my canker sores.
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
SLS Free Toothpaste
Sensodyne is SLS free - it doesn't say it on the front, but if you look at the ingredients it is. It is still expensive though, but you can get $1 off coupons on their website. My son has not suffered another GIANT canker sore that won't heal again!!
|

replied November 22nd, 2009
Sunrider toothpaste has no SLS
I would recommend using the Sunrider Sunsmile toothpaste - it's all herbal and has no SLS.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
Canker sores, SLS Free Toothpaste, Mouth sores
Google "Squiggle Toothpaste." Homestead Market has the best price. Also try Ora-5 for when you compromise the mouth's mucus membrane or if you feel a canker coming on. It seals the spot and prevents or quickly heals the problem. Like a miracle. 40 years of mouth pain now solved.
|

replied May 29th, 2010
sls sore-free toothpaste
The only one I have found that has not caused sores is Biotene. I use the low foaming formula - it is different than traditional toothpaste and has a cherry flavor, but I like it a lot, maybe because I trust it not to cause sores. If you try it, just go into it knowing the taste and consistency will be nothing like regular toothpaste!
|

replied January 5th, 2011
Pronamel
I use Pro-namel, it's about $4.99, and totally worth the no cankers!
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2011
I use Sarakan, which does not contain SLS, fluoride or other harmful ingredients.
|

replied April 19th, 2011
I just found a new brand, Luster, that offers whitening toothpaste (in sensitive, too) SLS-free. It doesn't say it on the package, but the ingredients are there. I order it online at cosmicsmile.com.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
I use a mixture of almond oil with a few drops of peppermint oil and spearmint oil in it. I have also sometimes used the organic "Brolacta" toothpaste from Germany. It contains no SLS, fluoride, glycerine, chalk or other junk.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 23rd, 2012
http://toothpastewithoutsodiumlaurylsulfat e.com
Sensodyne is SLS free - it doesn't say it on the front, but if you look at the ingredients it is. It is still expensive though, but you can get $1 off coupons on their website. My son has not suffered another GIANT canker sore that won't heal again!!
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
I use the low foaming formula
http://toothpastewithoutsodiumlaurylsulfat e.com
The only one I have found that has not caused sores is Biotene. I use the low foaming formula - it is different than traditional toothpaste and has a cherry flavor, but I like it a lot, maybe because I trust it not to cause sores. If you try it, just go into it knowing the taste and consistency will be nothing like regular toothpaste!
|

replied December 21st, 2012
SLS Free got rid of canker sores for me
I have suffered from Canker Sores all of my life. Typically, I would get 2-3 a month, that would develop into large sores, almost the size of a dime. They became extremely painful, and started affecting me at work, as I'm an Air Traffic Controller and spend a good portion of my day talking to pilots.

I recently came across a forum like this and decided to switch to a SLS free toothpaste. I found a Sensodine without SLS, and it has worked wonders! I'm already through my 1st large tube of the new toothpaste, and I have not had a single canker sore. This is the first time in my life that I've gone so long without one.

I highly recommend giving the switch to SLS free a try. You have nothing to lose, and a healthy mouth to gain. Good Luck!
|
12 >>