Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Why Do I Need to Pass Wind/fart So Often?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello everyone

i am 24 years old

why do I need to pass wind/fart so often?

When I haven't eaten anything I find I need to pass wind on average upto every 30 minutes on a bad day. Maybe every hour on a good day.

When I have eaten I find I need to pass wind upto every 10 minutes. That is regardless of whether I have eaten fish, meat, chips, vegetables, cereal or anything else.

When I do pass wind
a)it's embarassing (even if done silently)
b)it's unpleasant for others

if I don't pass wind
it either becomes
a)painful trapped wind
or
b)a poo, which is much more inconvenient and time consuming.

When I get wind at work, there isn't enough time to keep going in and out of the office whenever I feel wind. Nor is there enough time to keep going for poos.

Why am I getting so much wind?
How can I stop it?

This has been happening for probably 5 years.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MarkIrwin2003
|

replied May 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Your foods probably not being digested properly.....Try a digestive enzyme on an empty stomach just before you eat. A major cleanse on your days off ought to help fix up your gastro system. :)
|

replied February 19th, 2010
How rude are you!!! This person is writing on here for help and you are just rude!!!! If you have nothing helpful to say don't write on here!!! JESUS!!!!!

To spirit, it sounds like might have lactose intolerance. Look it up on google.
|

replied March 7th, 2010
Fart A Lot
I fart 20 or more times a day, and enjoy it. I once heard the average person farts 14 times a day. My average is quite a bit above that. I love to fart. I can fart on command, anytime I want to.
|

replied March 25th, 2010
IBS
I have got irritable bowel syndrome and I have wind all the time. I feel the need to pass wind every so often. I can fart about every 10 minutes like the other person said and it is uncomfortable and embarrassing. When I am in public I have to hold it in and this makes my stomach bloat badly and causes me a lot of pain and discomfort. It is not a laughing matter for those of us who go through this on a daily basis. Some sympathy will be nice. I am seeking help at the moment for it. It does not matter what you eat when you have IBS. I have tried all kinds of foods to make it stop but it does not. I will just have to learn to live with it.
|

replied April 15th, 2010
try eating your 5 a DAY and also drink plenty of water
|

replied April 15th, 2010
Your bowels are desperate for a cleansing. You probably have an imbalanced gut flora, so there are too many 'bad' micro organisms creating those gasses. Sugar is a great growth medium for them, so I would suggest you try to avoid any product containing sugar (and that's a heck of a lot more than you think, look on the ingredients of the product package). Sugar will also (always) yeast due to the warmth of your body.
Dairy products like milk and cheese can do harm on the mucous membrane of the gut so try to avoid them too. Sour dairy products like uncreamed cottage cheese and yoghurt are good products to stimulate good micro organisms, so those you can eat.
Third advise: meat stays in your digestive tract for a long time, especially pork and beef, so that's a feast for the bad gut flora too when it starts to decompose. Chicken and fish are better options.

So eat products that digest easily, lot of fruits and vegetables for fibers and VERY important: drink 1,5 to 2 liters of pure water daily.

Hope this is helpful, good luck!
|

replied September 3rd, 2012
Same problem with me,
I had abdomen and pelvic ultrasound, I had alot of analysis, antibiotics, anti-worms, anti-abemics,
I also discovered some parasites,
I watched my food not to eat something fatty or gassy
but after all this, nothing happened,
perhaps the candida/flora thing with the sugar, so the next challenge would be this one...
I take medication for digestion and intestin spasms but the results are less than expected ...
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
Fart
I fart everyday like every 3 minutes and it is a horrible smell, my wife divorced me because of it. It has ruined my life it might be all the protein I drink. I don't know what to do anymore can somebody help please!!!!!!!!! It was funny at first but now I have no friends left not even my dog wants to be around me.
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
cant stop farting,
I'm having the same problem and its not very nice when a supermarket is busy, sometimes i can hold it and sometimes it flys out when people are standing behind you, how can someone stop farting all the time.
|

replied February 11th, 2014
Calm down and think about the problem …

What are the chances you are different to everyone else..? Slim/next to none, because we are all the end result of a few millions years of evolution. One would not survive if his/her digestive system was not robust.

Then what is it? It is what you do, or how you deal with food rather, that makes you different to most.

Why do you produce gas? 2 reasons: 1, because it is a by-product of digestion. 2, because organic material produces gases as it degrades and decreases in entropy.

Think of your digestive system as a river. Instead of it being filled with water it is filled with fibre and it moves at a menial pace. As you look downstream the river gets smaller. Now suppose you want to eat something… You throw a little food on the running fibre river. As the food progresses down the stream it is digested. As it reaches the narrowing section it should be mostly digested. Oh, and the river ends with a waterfall. Once digested it escapes the narrow end of the stream and falls down the waterfall…

Let’s say you throw some food on the river, then some more, then some more, then some more. And you forget to eat fibre (fruit/vegetables/some light grains). The river begins to grind to a halt for a number of reasons. The once lubricating fibre is no longer present in sufficient enough a quantity to allow flow. So the river gets backed up. The food is digested a lot slower and some of the food piles up just near the narrowing section and begins to produce methane.

Now let’s put a lid on this river and call it your intestines. The gas that is produced due to the lack of mobility in the river piles up and is expelled when it gets a chance now and then from the water fall (aka, your ass).

How can you prevent this from happening???

Eat your food at a slower pace to give your digestive river a chance to flow at a sufficient level.
Eat more fibre to lubricate your river (with every meal and in between meals).
Drink water with and in-between meals (would suggest staggering 500mL during meal).
After a big meal, if your stomach feels strange or just for the sake of it, go to the toilet, sit down, and relax, if you need to fart at this point in time it is perfectly normal. Depending on what you have eaten you may produce a lot of gas and maybe some crap or maybe very little of both.

Keep the fibre and water consumption high.

Dave A. Fulton
|
Quick Reply