Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Inverted Uterus

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
My fiancee had her first pelvic exam recently and the doctor told her she "has a very inverted uterus". But he didn't act like it was a problem and said she was fine.

She was too apprehensive to think to take the time to ask the doc about implications.

We've done a websearch and found zero information about this condition relating to a woman who has never been pregnant.

Can anyone tell us how this might affect our sex lives and pregnancy later on (if we have kids)?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Darling
|

replied January 10th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
To be honest I don't know much about an inverted uterus however I know that delivery is much more difficult as the baby may keep hitting the pelvic bone. It should not lessen your chances of conceiving however it may be more difficult to detect an early heart beat especially with a doppler. Wish I could be of more help
|

replied January 11th, 2004
Inverted Uiterus
I have a retro inverted uterus, not really rare, but hard to see on ultrasound. They have to get creative sometimes to get pics. It straightens out with the growth of the baby, but will go back in place after delivery. I grew up having difficult periods, but have no idea if this was a related cause or not. Because of back trouble, I had pain carrying babies, but again , not sure if the uterus position contributed to this or not.
|

replied August 21st, 2007
Inverted Uterus
About 2 years ago now, i was volunteering myself as a patient for an Ultra Sound Training School and was told that i have an inverted Uterus, didnt really know much about it at the time but later found out that it is becoming more and more common in females. My mother has an inverted uterus aswell, she hasnt had a problem conceiving as i am her 6th child.. but.. my partner and i have been trying for a child for just over a year now.. i am constantly told that i am going to have trouble conceiving naturally.
|

replied April 27th, 2011
Inverted uterus
I have in inverted uterus and it hasn't caused any trouble. I am pregnant with my 5th baby right now at the age of 38 and also was able to conceive at 35 both times within a few months of starting to try. best of luck to you!
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I doubt you mean an "inverted uterus" you probably mean "retroverted uterus" which is much more common. An inverted uterus is a complication from delivery which is very painful and must be fixed right away.

A retroverted uterus can be caused by pregnancy, menopause, or another gyncological condition or it can be perfectly naturally occuring. It is where the uterus is simply tipped back towards the spine instead of forward towards the belly button. About 20% of women have it. Most of the time, women who have it feel no symptoms and it doesn't affect them.

Sometimes, women will feel pain during sex or menstruation, but that is rare.

and doggy style sex is better for women who have a retroverted uterus because of the angle the penis goes in. Don't ask me why I know that, just strange trivia. Wink
|

replied March 20th, 2009
inverted uterus
I just found out that I have an inverted uterus. I have 4 children and did not have problems delivering any of them.
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
in inverted uterus
An inverted uterus is more common than people think.

I've had two sons, now grown, with an inverted uterus and with my first son, I was young and my body was strong and healthy and no problems. With my second son there were complications only because of stress and relationship issues which caused high blood pressure.

You simply have or do not have an inverted uterus.. this is what my doctor rold me.. it is not 'caused' by anything.

For those who have problems conceiving, a simple trick is to put a pillow under your behind during intercourse.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
I have one - quite common. No problems getting pregnant or during my pregnancies. As for sex - the only side effect is that some positions are uncomfortable/tender.. other than that.. all good:))
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
just curious but my gf has a upside down uterus would anyone happen to know any sex positions that would be more comfortable?
|

Especially eHealthy
LOL Ryan, You mean retroverted. It means that her uterus tilts the other way than normal. A woman's uterus normally tilts forwards, resting on her bladder. A retroverted uterus tilts backwards.

The tilt of her uterus will control where inside her vagina her cervix will point. About 20% of all women have a retroverted (or tilted) uterus. Combined with a cervix that are sensitive to touch, this can be a problem during sex. So all the positions that you like with deep penetration can be painful for her. You have to experiment to find a position comfortable for her.

With her on top, she can determine the angle and the depth and she should be able to find a comfortable angle. both of you also have access to her breasts and clitoris in this position which makes it even better.

She can also close her legs in normal missionary position with your knees outside her legs. That makes for tighter and shallower thrusting.

Positions where you enter her from behind can also be more comfortable. Spooning and her flat on her belly can be good. Doggy can however cause very deep penetration and pain.

So in summary, experiment and communicate with her during sex to make sure it is not uncomfortable for her.

Take care!
|

Thank you very much! btw could haveing a bigger than average penis also complicate things?
|

Especially eHealthy
Yes, the deeper you penetrate, the more likely it is that you will hit her cervix. That is true for all women. It is probably the reason why women talk about large men as being thick, while men talk about length.

At different times of her cycle, her cervix moves up and down in her vagina, so what is pleasant one day, may be painful the next week.

So if you are well endowed, be careful about how deep you penetrate her. If her cervix are sensitive, poking it is as uncomfortable as sticking your finger in your eye.
|

replied October 8th, 2010
thank you bunches.
|

replied January 13th, 2011
retroverted uterus
I wished I had read some of the posts years ago, it would have saved me a lot of pain mentally and physically. If you have a retroverted uterus always always rmind your doctor before a PAP test.
My husband and I have found wrapping my legs around his waist is nice or even having a over stuffed pillow. Having open conversation is the best. My problem now is I get very dry and I am allergic to Latex ointments.
|

replied February 28th, 2011
What I know from my point of view
I have this condition and the only problem I have ever had that has bothered me is if I have to get a pap from a gynecologist I have never seen before, they have trouble locating my cervix because it points up. Other than that...no real problems. It can take a little longer to get pregnant, but positions where the man is in back has worked perfect for me in conceiving my two children. I did not have problems giving birth which was a major concern for me. It's really pretty common and not a major issue which is why her doctor wasn't so concerned. She'll be ok and those women who have this condition, there is no reason to assume you will have any major issues.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
"Upside Down" Uterus
I just found out today during a routine PAP that I have an "upside down" uterus (the Dr.'s words, not mine). This makes sense, as I used to enjoy all sorts of positions but for the last few years anything other than missionary has been pretty uncomfortable - what I would describe as an achy feeling in the stomach. I am glad that I have an explanation now so my husband doesn't think I am just boring! We don't have any children yet but hopefully when we are ready to try it won't cause a problem...
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2013
what is the effects?
i have a polycystic ovaries and retroverted uterus. i just wanna ask if that two terms above would affect someday ,im just curious some people says that i wont be able to have baby.. im afraid Sad
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2013
I see this all the time in my massage practice.
I am a massage therapist and two of my specialties are fertility massage therapy and visceral manipulation. When a uterus is inverted it is muscular majority of the time. Part of my job is to maneuver it back in place. So far, many women I have worked with has their uterus back in place through my practice. Its not the end all to childbirth. It just means your body needs TLC. Also chiropractic and acupuncture can help with realigning an inverted uterus. PCOS is something I see all the time and fertility massage has been beneficial with treating PCOS and an inverted uterus. I hope this is helpful. This is not the end if you are trying to conceive Wink
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Anand J. Singh