Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Vitamin C Overdose, Need Some Advice

Hi everyone. Well I felt myself coming down with a cold, so I decided to take extra vitamin c. The problem is that I took too much vitamin c this time. I took it a few days in a row at the amounts of 16,000 mg, 12,000 mg, and 8,000 mg, and 3,000 mg per day. I felt fine and it was actually helping my cold some, but now I have frequent urination where I cant lay down at night without having to get up constantly.. Its really bad. I am wondering how long it will take for this vitamin c to get out of my system so things can return to normal? Is there any way to speed it along? Any advice would really be appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah, it's fairly common for you to pee a lot if you have taken a lot of vit c.... It's not a very harmful vitamin even if you overdose.... Your body just urinate it out... It'll pby take a while to get out of your system.... But don't overdose again.. Cuz it could give you kidney problems.
|

replied May 20th, 2006
Re: Vitamin C
Thanks for your help. I drank about 100 oz of water yesterday so I hope that helped in getting it out of my system. I definitely wont ever take that much vitamin c again! I was kind of worried about kidney stones but I guess if I had those I would know it..Since I imagine its very painful. Thanks again.
|

replied January 31st, 2007
Vitamin C
Vitamin c has a half life in the body of 30 mins, so you body should be clear now. Usual symptoms of excessive vitamin c is diarhoera for a day of two.
|

replied February 5th, 2007
Vitamin C In Large Doses Is a Proxidant
Jen'

what has been said above by the others is correct. The half life is 30 mins and the most common symptom of excessive intake is diarrhea (and in your case peeing). Being a water soluble vitamin the excess is excreted and does not build up in your body like the fat soluble vitamins do - so you should be fine.

Taking large doses of vitamin c when you are sick with a cold is ok but don't do that when you are fine. Studies have shown that in daily doses of 400mg up, vitamin c acts as a pro-oxidant (opposite of antioxidant) increasing the production of free radicals.

Cheers,

brett
|

replied May 24th, 2014
The symptoms you experienced are not from vitamin C, they are from something else. Probably an infection. Vitamin C could not cause those symptoms.

Brett445 is completely incorrect to state that "in daily doses of 400mg up, vitamin c acts as a pro-oxidant", that is complete nonsense, an extremely bogus and stupid thing to say. There is zero evidence or even any theoretical model where vitamin C could cause anything like that, he either made it up or is confusing it with something else. The ONLY thing vitamin C has EVER been questioned over is whether or not it can form kidney stones in certain individuals who already have serious and chronic problems with their kidneys.

In the wild many animals, including other apes, get multiple grams of vitamin c in their food. Humans don't eat food fresh off the plant anymore and the vitamin c deteriorates rapidly. Other mammals make their own vitamin C and make far in excess of 500mg every day.
|

replied May 24th, 2014
The symptoms you experienced are not from vitamin C, they are from something else. Probably an infection. Vitamin C could not cause those symptoms.

Brett445 is completely incorrect to state that "in daily doses of 400mg up, vitamin c acts as a pro-oxidant", that is complete nonsense, an extremely bogus and stupid thing to say. There is zero evidence or even any theoretical model where vitamin C could cause anything like that, he either made it up or is confusing it with something else. The ONLY thing vitamin C has EVER been questioned over is whether or not it can form kidney stones in certain individuals who already have serious and chronic problems with their kidneys.

In the wild many animals, including other apes, get multiple grams of vitamin c in their food. Humans don't eat food fresh off the plant anymore and the vitamin c deteriorates rapidly. Other mammals make their own vitamin C and make far in excess of 500mg every day.
|
Tags: amounts, bad cold
Quick Reply