Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Bleeding From Throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi, this morning I got scared cause after I dressed up I felt some taste of blood in my mouth, I spit a little and I noticed some blood so I grabbed some toilet paper, cleaned my throat and spitted again in the paper and there was quite some blood mixed with the mucus and I also noticed my throat had still some bloody mucus left :?
I think it might've been from my nose, maybe I had a nosebleed during the night but i'm not sure, there was only very few blood on my right nostril... I'm feeling a bit better now thinking that it was really from the nose and it runned down to my throat but i'm still afraid that this might be something worse..
I'm only 20, I don't smoke nor drink and I exercise sometimes but I don't drink a lot of water and my throat feels dry a lot of times, I also used to bleed from my nose when I was younger specially during summer season but now my nosebleeds are rare -- thankfully --
i'm still feeling scared cause this never happened before.. So any help is really appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper squashville USA
|

replied May 30th, 2006
Make sure you drink a lot of water. Blood in mucus can show infection of sinus/nose-however without posed inflammtion of the area and wellbeing it doesn't sound like thats the cause. Your nose bleed history and dryness. I would say make sure you drink plenty.

Get saline spray with no preservatives use that and see if anything improves and drink plenty of water. For dryness of mouth I would even recommend some mixture of half gatorade and half water mixture. You need electrolyte replacement as always with drinking plenty of water. However half a glass of gatorade since so sugary should be fine for you. See if that makes a difference. But drink!! You need that to coat your mucus membranes to not allow them to bleed.

Good rule of thumb drink 4 oz of water half a glass, every hour you are awake- that will suffice your intake, unless you take medication then you need more.

If you resume nosebleed ever regularly, you shoudl see a doctor as this could be a sign of something else. Also living in a newly remodeled home and new carpeting will cause this as well as other things.
|

replied June 5th, 2006
About Your Nose Bleeds...
Hi I just wanted to say that when I was ten I had alot of nosebleeds cause the climate was to dry.I moved to a different province and the nose bleeds stopped.So it could be from dryness. Also if you think its from your throat I would go get it checked out.I was bleeding from the throat and I had the start of pneumonia. Take care..
|

replied June 19th, 2006
Thanks both of you for your replies, it didn't happen again and yes the weather probably has something to do with too, it's very hot were I live and sometimes I get the feeling of dryness all over my nostrils and mouth just by breathing air. I'll drink more water as you advised me and try the other stuff, thx.
|

replied December 18th, 2008
Blood spots in the mucus
Some times it so happened that i find some very little blood spots with my mucus. I had a very bad cold recently and the doctor had advicesd to take some antibiotics. After 2 days of medication this blood problem started. I'm scared to clear my throat. This is hapenning although reduces for the last 4 days. Doctors says nothing serious, bleeding because of cough. Usually during the year i find dark black spots in my mucus, looks like pollution.Please advice.
|

replied February 14th, 2009
dry throat and bleeding
Dry throat and bleeding at night. I've done
gastroskopy which shows chronic inflammation
--what to do..it lasts a few years..
doctors do not know..
|

replied May 17th, 2009
bleeding from my throat
I awakend with a sore throat feeling, after cleaning the rear of my tongue and spiittng out the usual early morning muscus I felt as if there was some more coming up so I proceeded to force-cough / suction it out. I thought it was working until I felt like there was a string holding it down. I decided to stop and spit and it was then I saw a whole lot of thick mucussy-blood. what in the world could be the cause. I'm a 52 yrs old male on Daonil and 40 mg Vasotec. Can anyone advise me
|

replied May 17th, 2009
BLEEDING from my THROAT
I awakend with a sore throat feeling, after cleaning the rear of my tongue and spiittng out the usual early morning muscus I felt as if there was some more coming up so I proceeded to force-cough / suction it out. I thought it was working. I had whatever it was almost in my mouth until I felt like there was a string holding it down, preventing it from coming completely up, I started to choke, I let it go and spat. Thats when I saw a whole lot of thick mucussy-blood. What in the world could be the cause. I'm a 52 yrs old male on Daonil and 40 mg Vasotec. Can anyone advise me
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Bleeding & sore in throat
I have sore in throat from 3 months and i went to three ENT doctor but i did not get proper response, I made CT scan also but doc told nothing but still i have sore and sometimes bleeding please help me.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
For the past 2 months i been spitting out blood out my throat! I use to smoke a pack of newportsa day and drink heavily everyday. Since this problem has occured i have quit smoking and drining but it continues to bleed. I am only 22 yrs. old i went for a chest xrays and everyday came out normal thinking it was my lungs! Can someone reply with any helpful thoughs!Thank You!
|

replied November 21st, 2009
I have had this problem for many years and finally I checked on the web after 3 ents and allergists, etc I started drinking gatorade and using breezers throat lozenges and using a humidifier in work my bleeding has stopped so far for 3 days and I am in my glory. I use to get this mucous blood it seemed like wads of it then nothing all day until I came from work, seemed as soon as I got up in the morn until I came home from work. I am going to keep with the gatorade which I dilute with water because of the sugar and see what happens NO Doctor that I have been too and there have been many could tell me what the problem was but I am going to try this I get it summer and winter so I cannot blame the weather.
|

replied December 25th, 2009
Blood while spit
hi, yester day, after fininishing my lunch, when i was washing my mouth in the was room, i saw blood when i spit and i am shocked now. after that there is no more blood in my spits, till today ... please advise... I am afraid. I am taking high BP medicine like Telista-H regularly once daily.
|

replied March 7th, 2010
Hey Guys,
A lot of the cases I've read, are very similar to mine, the first one at the top especially, I also get nosebleeds during winter and summer, and it is usually after I have them, or during, that I get blood mucus come out of my throat. This has been happening since I was 9 and now I am 20. I have never inquired about the blood coming from my throat. But I think I will now.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
Re: Bleeding From Throat
Sliver wrote:
Hi, this morning I got scared cause after I dressed up I felt some taste of blood in my mouth, I spit a little and I noticed some blood so I grabbed some toilet paper, cleaned my throat and spitted again in the paper and there was quite some blood mixed with the mucus and I also noticed my throat had still some bloody mucus left Confused
I think it might've been from my nose, maybe I had a nosebleed during the night but i'm not sure, there was only very few blood on my right nostril... I'm feeling a bit better now thinking that it was really from the nose and it runned down to my throat but i'm still afraid that this might be something worse..
I'm only 20, I don't smoke nor drink and I exercise sometimes but I don't drink a lot of water and my throat feels dry a lot of times, I also used to bleed from my nose when I was younger specially during summer season but now my nosebleeds are rare -- thankfully --
i'm still feeling scared cause this never happened before.. So any help is really appreciated.
|

replied January 10th, 2011
I am having the same problem of bloody mucus in my throat. This has been going on for around 2 years. My throat gets sore then bleeds, or it comes from my sinus. My ENT doc said it was from allergies. I hope that he is right. I just got around to seeing him lately, my gp sent me to a GI doc first saying it was probably my stomach, I had a endoscopy that show gastritis, but my GI doctor said that I would vomit, if the blood was coming from my stomach. I don't cough it up, but do as another poster. It just comes up into my throat and I clear my throat and spit, and its there. At first I went to the ER, and he assumed me that I could lose much more blood than what I was ,, still it scared me and when there is a lot of it, it still does, thanks
|

replied March 10th, 2011
im having a problem with my cough also, i have blood in my mucus my cough already is one month old and i had several test stating im fit and nothing to worry about. but who wouldnt worry when you spit blood in the morning.... please help...
|

replied May 8th, 2011
Bleeding throat
Two months ago I was admitted to three different hospitals due to excessive bleeding from the throat. I was diagnosed with pneumonia but my sputum test revealed no bacteria just traces of fungus which is quite normal. I had ct scan, bronchoscopy, ultra sound, series of xrays but all these came out normal. They could not figure out what was wrong with me and I was discharged coz the bleeding stopped maybe due to some meds I took. After a week of being discharged I visited an ENT who did an endoscopy. He said I have varicose in my throat and this might have caused the bleeding. He prescribed 1 g vit. C everyday and I did not bleed for 2 months. But I'm again bleeding now. It's really frustrating. Hope someone could help me. What do you do with varicose in the throat?
|

replied April 19th, 2013
Hello,

so its been a few years now...hows your throat? If better,..what did you do to treat it? What did you find out?

Thanks
|

replied April 6th, 2012
my little sister is a toddler 2 year old and she is bleeding in her throat.Me and my mom are really scared my little sis was having blood in her phleghm and were hoping its not something dangerous she has a sore throat and a viral infection we took here to the er but they only said she had a viral infection. then my mom took her to the dr a day after becuz she was getting even worse the dr said she had an ear infection, but she bearly started having a bloody phleghm. Does someone have a idea what it could be?
|

replied April 6th, 2012
my little sister is a toddler 2 year old and she is bleeding in her throat.Me and my mom are really scared my little sis was having blood in her phleghm and were hoping its not something dangerous she has a sore throat and a viral infection we took here to the er but they only said she had a viral infection. then my mom took her to the dr a day after becuz she was getting even worse the dr said she had an ear infection, but she bearly started having a bloody phleghm. Does someone have a idea what it could be?
|