Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Clogged Ears

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Was wondering if this has happened to anyone,i blew my nose and one of my ears plugged,no problem I though,then a few days of otc drugs and my other ear plugged,went to er and they said it was allergys.Took claritan for 7 days and got worse,went to my doctor and he looked in my ears and gave me a 5 day antibiotic,7days later no better ,so he gave me 16 day predisone count anddid blood work,said blood work was fine ,but showed a slight infection so to stay on antibiotic,nothing to worry about.14 days later igo to er because predisone seems to be not working,so they check my ears and say the are infected real bad,give me another antibiotic,next day back in erbecause almost passed out they do urine,blood work,cheest xrays and ct scan.Everything fine other than blood work shows slight infection again.Come to find out I have had a sinus infection this whole time,(period of 5 weeks)in which the blood test was origally to see if I had diabetes,i dont.Every thing seems ok now other than my ears are still plugged,recently seen a ent and he said mu et tubes are plugged causing the plugged ears,and gave me nasacort aq to try for a month and if that sdoesnt work,looking at putting tube in,fore head feels dry and eyes still feel like slight wieght pulling on them,i have gain 15lbs of weight,but I also quit smoking.So just wondering if any one has gone through this.Is it allergys(i dont sneeze,dont have ruuning nose or itchy eyes,did have podst nasal drip.)or is it just the pressure in ears caousing this or anxiety.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SCOT2HOT
|

replied May 21st, 2006
Ears
Anyone
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
I have been going through the exact same thing, quit smoking 8 weeks ago, gained 15 lbs and had sinus infection and ears plugged for several weeks. I am told I have nothing wrong with me, antihistamines don't help, decongestants don't help. I want to slam my head against a wall. If tubes would help, I wish they would quit with the "time will help" crap and put tubes in. I feel like my head is in a bowl of water, and I feel crappy, hard to work, can't think. I feel like it would help if I stuck a needle in my ears and let out the pressure!
|

replied March 18th, 2010
Same thing has been happening to me , I had started off with a double ear infection and sinus infection so the doctor put me on anibiotics for 14 days, and the antibiotics did nothing , then the doctor put me on a nasal spray to close my nose and open my ears up, 10 days later still nothing, I go back to the doctor and they put me on another antibiotic and I only have 2 days left on the antibiotic and my ears are still clogged, I feel like I have lost hearing it is very frusterating and feels like my head is in a bucket, so far nothing has worked with 2 rounds of antibiotics and some nasal spray as well I have tried decongestants, musinex. I am a current smoker and have gained 10 pounds in about a 2 week period, all my blood work is fine and show no signs of an infection and not diabetic, I am just curios to as how long the hearing loss will go on it has been 4 weeks now, though the doctor did say that you can have hearing loss for 1-2 months with a severe ear infection, though with all the meds. I have been taken it seems like not much progress.
Here is a list of the meds that have not been working.

Ceftin
Arythinromyacin
Veramyst
Zithromyacin
Musinex
Dayquill
Sudifed

And none of these have worked for me except break the fever when I did have one.
I feel like it would help if they put tubes in my ears or opened my eustaction tubes up.
My ears have not been producing the regular amounts of ear wax as well, Q-tipping does nothing and trying to drain my ears with hot water or hydrogin peroxide does not help as well using a ear squeege does nothing.
|

replied December 22nd, 2011
If your ears are plugged up do to sinus/ear infection:
When my ears where plugged due to the antibiotics actually clearing up the infection it produced wax/goop in my ears. The doctor flushed them both out with a syringe and warm water and I was fine after that. The pan was just full of goop when he was done. Try that.
|

replied December 22nd, 2011
Same thing pretty much just happened to me this week. Although due to insurance issues, I didn't go to the doctor. First I thought that I wasn't cleaning my ears well enough. Then a few days later my sinuses started acting up. It was normal sinus problems at first, but then it got so bad that I could barely move without being in pain and slept all the time. I had my mom bring me some pain medicine and Tylenol PM in case it got to the point where I couldn't sleep. Fortunately I haven't had to take the PM. I feel much better now, my ears are clear and I'm not in pain anymore.
|

replied January 1st, 2012
I had an ear infection due to a cold that clogged my ear. I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics and steroids. The meds cleared up the infection but my ear was still clogged. I went back to the doctor and they used a syringe with peroxide and warm water to flush my ear. They flushed it about 10 times. It helped to remove some of the cold that was behind my ear drum and clogging my eustachian tube. It's not totally clear, i can still feel a little something in my ear but it doesn't have that clogged feeling anymore. I hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2013
Ears clogged most every time I take antibiotics. Side effect?
Almost every time I take antibiotics, my ears clog. This has been happening most of my life. I came here looking for answers but I see only more questions.

Summary: I get sick (usually pain at the back of the throat) runny nose, run down feeling. I go to the doctor, he gives me antibiotics. After 1 or 2 days taking meds my ears clog. One time it was almost 1 year before my ear cleared up. Doctors not able to tell me why or have a cure. I went 12 years without smoking so smoking had nothing to do with it. This has been happening to me on and off for over 40 years.
|