Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Subarachnoid Hemorrhage

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
I had subarachnoid hemorrhage in june 2003. I spent 12 days in the hospital, had 2 aerteriograms, mri's, etc. No cause was ever found. Thirty days later I had another aerteriogram with no cause for the hemorrhage. Since it has been 6 months I am schedule for a 4th aerteriogram (cerebral angiogram). I am 49 years old. No family history of heart disease or stroke, never smoked and don't drink. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jane2207
|

replied March 15th, 2004
Avm Stroke
I had never heard of any of this until I was in my twenties when I had my first one, I am now in my forties and thank god that I am still here. I also have four more that are ready to go off. So as you see everyday is a good day in life. I control my a.V.M. By not letting everyday life affect me to the point of know return, its very hard to do but its a chioce that you have to make when it comes to life or death. I perfer life.
|

replied April 7th, 2004
Hemorrhagic Stroke
I wanted you to know that I went through the same thing. My stroke happened october 1, 2002. I went through the same, numerous mris mras angiograms, and they cannot tell me why it happened. I do not have high blood pressure nor high cholesterol. I've never smoked and do not have a family history of it, and I was only 26 years old. It is hard not knowing why and if it will happen again. But you have a different out look on life after it has happened!
|

replied June 10th, 2004
Same Thing Happened to Me...
In february 2003, zippy - I was 35 yrs old. The hardest part to swallow was after the angiograms when they told me no aneurysm was found & this was the best case scenario. Being of the "something is broke so we need to fix it" mindset, this made me a bit nervous. What numerous drs told me was that I was in better shape than most of the people in my age group, given that i'd so many looks at the inside of my skull and no problems were found.

We had a 1 in 4 chance of coming out unscathed and got lucky. That's how I look at it...

Here's a link to a good article about sah of unknown etiology. It's not uncommon at all.
Http://neurosurgery.Mgh.Harvard.Edu/neurov ascular/v-w-94-1.Htm
and another
http://www.Mnmed.Org/publications/mnmed200 1/may/nussbaum.Html
|

replied December 14th, 2006
Re: Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
zippy11 wrote:
i had subarachnoid hemorrhage in june 2003. I spent 12 days in the hospital, had 2 aerteriograms, mri's, etc. No cause was ever found. Thirty days later I had another aerteriogram with no cause for the hemorrhage. Since it has been 6 months I am schedule for a 4th aerteriogram (cerebral angiogram). I am 49 years old. No family history of heart disease or stroke, never smoked and don't drink. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
hi I also had a subarachnoid hemorrahage I am 41 they found no causes I spent 12 days in hospital would like to no if you have had any problems afterwards I still have days were I dont feel 100% its been 8months since I had mine
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Re: Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
Dear Selena11, I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrage back in December 2006 and was hospitalized for 27 days. I was 39 at the time and in fairly good health. The angiogram/coiling procedure was successful however I am still home recovering as I too do not feel that I'm totally back to my old self. It's only been a little over 2 months for me so I was surprised to read that after 8 months, you don't feel 100%. I understand that there is no set timeframe for recovery after surgery or repair and I sometimes get tension headaches and my head feels sore and achey. I was beginning to think that it was all in my mind since everything I read on the internet led me to believe folks went back to work immediately after being discharged from the hospital or very shortly after.
|

replied March 21st, 2007
Subarachnoid Haemorrhage
Hi all you young ones,

I had a haemorrhage in 1996 when i was 40. They say life begins at 40 well mine certainly did.
I had a bleed when i was having sex with my partner, i just said i dont feel well and couldnt move. I had a clip put on the bleed, and have been like that since.
I got in touch with basic at hope hospital in manchester, janet and sandra give out booklets etc. They are fantastic i got all the information i needed i even went to a few meetings on aneurysms etc.
I now live in Brisbane Australia and i got in touch with a printer who printed thousands of the booklets for me and they where sent free of charge to all the neuro hospitals in Oz.
Its only when you have been through something like this that you realise just how good life is and how short it could be.
I used to drink and smoke but gave up after the operation and have had no trouble since.
Hope you all keep well
Yours Sincerely
Pat Smile
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Stroke
Subarrachnoid Hemorrhage at 55yrs old,
I had mine in 1998 Aug. 8th 1p.m. it was like and explosion. Didn't know what happened, drove home from work passed out on the bed.Wife drove me to hospital wrong thing to do. Took hospital 3hrs. before they found out,now 6hrs total. Cat scan,MRI,couldn't find. Then came the angioghram at over one hr. they gave me another stroke this one paralized me on the left side. I had walked into the hospital on my own with no apparent problems. My life changed and how! Now history of this in family, no high blood pressure, thank goodness for excellent health,was ready to do the MS150 on Saturday. Was a Vice President for over 10yrs. Eventually lost my job because of memory loss still some parallysis on left side with other issues. Thanks to two talented ladies in rehab or I would still be in a wheel chair.
Don't have a stroke
Jerry
|

replied September 1st, 2010
subarachnoid hemorrage
i was 34 when i had a subarachnoid hemorrage,i was in hospital for two weeks got a slight weekness on the right side.I was pregnant when i had the hemorrage and went through all the treatment and didnt know is was pregant lol.I had a beautifull girl who is now nearly 9 she is so fit and healthy it was a little miracle.But now ten years later i suffer mood swings,cant concentrate,feel tierd alot,cry alot because of irrational thoughts.I have researched a bit and it says that people who have had a subarachnoid hemarrage that as mutch as 46% of patients have cognitive (awareness) impairment i.e mental processess of perception,memory,judgment and reasoning.It says this is some of the long term side effects and now i need medical help to cope with.Dont know if anyone is going through the same.Wendy.
|

replied June 30th, 2011
I had my SAH just over 2 and a half years ago at 36. I keep thinking the side effects are for forever, then I tell myself that they can't be. I keep getting twinges in my head, so incredibly tired, my arms, legs everything seems so heavy. I feel as if I came home from hospital yesterday not 2 and a half yrs ago. I have 2 aneurysms 1 clipped and the other coiled.
|

replied October 26th, 2012
Subarachnoid Hemmorhage 2010 at 50 years old
My mother had her subarachnoid hemorrhage due to an anuerysm 2.5 years ago. She was 50 at the time. She has a history of cholesterol (not due to diet, sometimes certain individuals make extra cholesterol in their bodies), hypothyroidism, arthritis, mild GERD etc. Anyway on July 24th, 2010, her and I went for a run around the park near our house, and 2 days later she had a anuerysm bleed and was sent to Harborview hospital in Seattle, WA. After being in the ICU for 2 weeks and another week at the step down unit, she was home. Initially, she had headaches which were intense and we are so lucky that she didn't have any deficits, she doesn't have any weakness, memory issues etc. She does however continue to have headaches, she rates them at 1 or 2 out of 10 in terms of pain. Everytime she has a headache, we freak out, because we fear another stroke. She is doing well other than that. I think everyone on this form is super lucky to make it, because there are so many more that succumb to the stroke and don't make it through. Good luck everyone!!!
|

replied October 26th, 2012
My mother had her subarachnoid hemorrhage due to an anuerysm 2.5 years ago. She was 50 at the time. She has a history of cholesterol (not due to diet, sometimes certain individuals make extra cholesterol in their bodies), hypothyroidism, arthritis, mild GERD etc. Anyway on July 24th, 2010, her and I went for a run around the park near our house, and 2 days later she had a anuerysm bleed and was sent to Harborview hospital in Seattle, WA. After being in the ICU for 2 weeks and another week at the step down unit, she was home. Initially, she had headaches which were intense and we are so lucky that she didn't have any deficits, she doesn't have any weakness, memory issues etc. She does however continue to have headaches, she rates them at 1 or 2 out of 10 in terms of pain. Everytime she has a headache, we freak out, because we fear another stroke. She is doing well other than that. I think everyone on this form is super lucky to make it, because there are so many more that succumb to the stroke and don't make it through. Good luck everyone!!!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska