Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Can Anxiety Cause Chronic Sore Throat? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I hope someone can help me.

I have been undergoing extremely intense stress over the past 11 months. Reason? Fear of contracting hiv from 'protected' encounter I had. Since my encounter, my body has gone through weird changes: prolonged diarrhea, weight loss, swollen lymphs etc. I have been tested negative for hiv for up to 10 months now and all the hiv experts have told me that i'm not infected. Most, if not all, have told me that my symptoms are anxiety-related and I just wanted to check with you all about my persistant sore throat.

I've had a sore throat for about 3 months now - the back of my throat has 3 bright red streaks. I've take 2 courses of antibiotics but it has not cleared up at all. The salivary glands under my jaw also feel swollen as they're puffed up. My tongue is slightly on the furry side.

1) I wanted to ask if chronic sore throat can be anxiety/stress related?
2) has anyone experienced what I went through before?
3) can anyone suggest any medication to cope with this?

I hope someone can spare a minute or two to lend me your thoughts. It will mean a lot to me especially during his fragile period of my life.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Victorinox
|

replied May 16th, 2006
Hi
I am currently suffering from a sore throat feels sore as hell have had it now for about a week I gargled salt water its going a bit hopefully if its not gone by the end of the week go back and see your doctor sore throat can also be caused by anxiety coz I got it loads of times hope this helps a bit good lck :)
|

replied May 31st, 2006
I have had the exact same problem. Approx 14 months ago I had unprotected sex with a prostisute. I have been tested for hiv and I am negtaive.

Since the encounter I have had re-occuring swollen nodes. They will come for a few weeks and then go away.

I have had a non-stop sore throat for the last year.

I have had tongue sores as well.

I can not figure out what is wrong. My only thought is chronic fatigue syndrome, which I have read can be triggered by a tramtic experience.

Any thoughts?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! I am no dr but has your dr examined you for chronic fatigue syndrome, ebv which can also be mono, streph throat, you might even ask for something light for your anxiety until you get it under control.
Good luck to you all!
Keep us posted.
|

replied May 21st, 2009
Same symptoms
Hi Victorinox,

I am going through the same things you are going, have you been able to recover from the symptoms.

How was the recovery, your reply would help me in being strong at this moment
|

replied June 7th, 2009
Hi
I have recurrent sore throats which I strongly suspect come from stress.As soon as I feel some kind of anxiety I can literally feel the sore throat starting. Sometimes I am able to catch it in time before it gets worse by making sure I relax and sleep well. Sometimes too late and find it very hard to get rid of a sore throat once its gets me. Got one at the moment which gets worse the more anxiety I feel.Going through a fragile part of my life too so understand very well. I've found no real medication that helps but found plenty of sleep and rest is the best remedy. Difficult when you have to work but I've found I have had to take off the time off work in order to get better. Good luck from a fellow sufferer
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2009
Advanced Support Team
Yes, stress can definitely cause breathing problems as well as discomforts in the throat...

Often it helps me to take a walk, and to look into the source of the stress.

You're not alone! Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2009
Advanced Support Team
Concerning your fear...

Since you have tested negative it seems that you already have your answer. Keep in mind that fear can manifest as much worse physical conditions than sore throat. Also, behind this fear there is another one, and behind that yet another. It's a healthy thing to examine your fears, and to come to terms with them.

Ultimately the fears boil down to a fear of death - which is something that we must all confront one day or another. By looking into this fear, you may discover some interesting things about yourself, and about your outlook on life.

This is not necessarily a bad thing that you are going through - there is an opportunity here.

Take care!
Daniel
|

replied June 13th, 2014
ive been suffering anxiety since 2011....and everyday is a struggle .i have had also pharyngitis as the doctor diagnosed it.but ive gone a series of examination..TSF ,thyroid ultrasound ...co amoxiclab etc...examinationsshowed normal ,meds did not relieve my pharyngitis until now.. reading this messages give quite comfort that im not alone suffering this unexplanable condition... tnx and Godblesss
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Red streaks and GERD
I've been experiencing the same symptoms than Vitorinox.
Since january or february i noticed i need to clear up my throat due extra mucus..all day...non stop and every time i had coke, not only made me choke but also my voice wears out.
2 months ago I woke up with a mild sore throat. I noticed a had one red streak in my throat...it really hurts. All the sudden, i started burping...non stop...and having heartburn...and acid reflux. My PCP gave me pepcid and 5 days later got worse. So he changed it for omeprazole. It's been almost a month and do not feel any improvement. I called him and he changed my prescription for nexium. well, i do still burp, i have a horrible sore throat which feels irritated, red and raw. I also have gas.....and diarrhea.

Finally he referred me to see an ENT next thursday.

Not sure if my chronic sore throat is due to GERD, LPR or something more serious???

It;s crazy.
|

replied September 17th, 2009
There are viruses that cause chronic sore throat, as well as fatigue, depression, stomach problems, pins and needles and muscles aches.
|

replied September 21st, 2009
I have been going throught the same thing for the past three years. It all started with unprotected sex and fear of hiv. I became obsessed with my health and was constatntly aware of any little change with my body. It seems like I almost always have a tight/ sore throat with mucas. I've seen tons of doctors and none of them were able to find anything physically wrong with me. So I was referred to a psychiatrist. His treatment has helped but my symptoms are not completely gone. They come and go and I believe are made worse by stress.
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
Sore Throat and Anxiety
I'm going through the sore throught right now. It is anxiety related for me. I really is a pain. Every time I'm around something a little stressful lately it's been acting up. (mainly because of college starting and dating someone new) The only way to get rid of it is to figure out what is stressing you out, do what you need to do to make the problem better, and then relax, meditate, and sleep. Eventually pull your mind away from your throat and it's uncomfortableness until it is long gone. (distractions) I'm having a hard time with it at the moment, so it's easier to say than do. Smile hope it helps.
|

replied October 6th, 2009
I have had a sore throat for 2 months now and have had antibiotic courses. My dad died 4 months ago and i am having relationship and work problems. So yes, STRESS definitely causes persistent sore throats among other things!!
|

replied October 25th, 2009
I feel like I have a similar situation. I'm kind of a nervous person to begin with, and I noticed in the past if I would get very nervous my throat would feel a little sore (I would calm down and it would get better though), and I've always had a bit of mucous that I need to clear my throat to get rid of (for many, many years), and I had streaks at the top/back of my mouth for a while (for a long time too), but I never thought much of it.

Now I have started a new semester of college, and about with it I felt a pain in my throat related to excessive talking. It seems to have gotten worse and worse, and my throat looks inflamed. An ENT doctor prescribed antibiotics and vocal rest, but that didn't do a thing. It definitely feels worse when I begin talking and when I get particularly nervous, and I haven't been able to get rid of it after a couple months. I don't have GERD that I know of, but I guess that doesn't mean I don't have it...

Is there a solution? I can't go around with pain every time I talk forever. Is relaxation, stress reduction, and sleep a working solution?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2009
It's not anxiety. I have anxiety and it don't give you those symtoms. Anxiety is more of shaking, heart racing, feeling weak, feeling like your not getting enough oxygen, It's not anxiety.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
I would have thought that anxiety could express itself in more ways...

BTW is it odd that 1/5 of the people in this thread are worried about HIV specifically?
|

replied November 9th, 2009
My sore throat is finally getting better. I went to see an ENT and he said it was caused due LPR. He said it might take 6 to 8 weeks to get better. And yes, anxiety can manifest in several forms. Shaking, heart racing, feeling weak are common forms but the only ones.

Hope everyone gets better soon.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
LPR? My ENT doctor also just told me the same thing! Maybe anxiety increases acid, among other things. I guess now it's no yummy acid-y foods for me. Sad
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Guys I had protected sex about 6 months ago (but the protection failed) and have been to get it checked out a number of times. At first a private doctor told me the tests are that good now-a-days they can usually pick things like HIV up early and I really shouldn't worry and whilst i took him at his word i'm increasingly concerned at my symptoms (which is making them worse) so i've plucked up the courage to go get yet another hiv test (other ones we're a little early) But I have now had a sore throat for 5 months and am concerned it's linked.

I have suffered from stress for about 10 years now so I have all the other symptoms you've talked about and recently the stress has been much greater so i'm hoping I can put the throat down to that. Your comments are great and have helped me chill a little. Well i'll find out in less than two weeks now - the longest wait of my life! Really hoping I can come back on here and put some more minds to rest.
|

replied November 12th, 2009
What is it with promiscuity and long-term sore throats in this thread? But I don't think long-term sore throats that last more than a month are a symptom of HIV. If you're worried that, then it's because of that worry, and if your sore throat lasts more than a month, you can rest assured that your symptom is probably somehow because you're worried (because anxiety can manifest in many ways). So just push it out of your mind and think ahead next time you want to do something so stupid or risky that you'll become really worried about it.
|