Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

a Few Things I Would Like People to Read!

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Ok as I said in my previous post, I haven't been here in a long time so I probably don't really get what this doctor thing is about but I want to say a few things.

I think having a doctor online is a good thing but it may not be the be all and end all. I have read some of the doctors comments and now I just want to add some of my own.

Anyone can die from an eating disorder at any weight. You do not have to be underweight in order to have medical complications. Eating disorders are very serious medically and mentally.

Anorexia and bulimia are just behaviours to help you cope with life, they are very destructive and can cause alot of medical damage but for people who suffer from eating disorders that is the way they have learnt to cope.

Regardless of whether you use anorexia or bulimia as a behaviour you are no less a person or you have no less an eating disorder. In fact eating disorder is the name given to the behaviours - anorexia, bulimia, over eating, obesity etc, eating distress is the name given to the behaviour but also the distress in in you that causes you to use the behaviour as a coping mechanism.
There are very little people that can recover from an eating distress by themselves. Once you have used your eating disorder to cope with life then that is a sign that you are not ok within yourself and on the rare chance that you can begin to eat normally there are still alot of issues that you have to face and deal with.
I have heard many times people say that they once had eating distress but then they started to eat normally without any help- therapy, counciling etc. That can happen but always something else will manafest itself, like being a workaholic, drinking, cleaning, drugs, etc..... None of which give you much statisifcation in life they just occupy you so you don't have to face life.

Eating distress is very complex and very difficult for people to understand but there is hope because I know that complete recovery is possible and you don't have to live like this forever.
I know i'm going on a bit but I just really wanted to let people know that you don't have to be underweight to have an eating distress. You don't have to starve to have eating distress, you can easily be overreating and using food as a method to numb you because that what food or lack of food does for us, it allows us to be numb so that we don't have to feel because to feel means that we can get hurt and be loved and be in pain and be happy. When we have eating distress those feelings are all surpressed as we surpress them using food.

Anyway back to what I was saying, there is hope! And anyone can suffer from eating distress regardless of their weight, height, sex, whatever. If you are using food as a way to cope with life, whether you are overreating, undereating, purging using tablets and so many other methods.

I don't know if that has helped at all but there you go! Oh by the way, I have had eating distress now for 5 years, I was 14 and now I am 19 but all through those years I used this site as a place to come to talk and chat with people who understood what I was going through, so i'm kind of attacted to this forum.....

K well, I hope your all well,

take care!

Xxxx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Experienced User
I am glad you like the forum. I have been obsessed with my weight and overexercising for a long time, but I am doing alot better. I try to watch what I eat and I workout and it works good for me.
|
Did you find this post helpful?