Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

How Accurate Is the Conception Date?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
How accurate is it when they give you the date of conception?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 9th, 2006
When who gives you the date? The doctor or the u/s tech? Going by your last menstrual cycle isn't always necessarily accurate. Ultrasounds in the first trimester however are extremely accurate especially between 6 - 8 weeks measuring the crl not the sac. They are accurate within +/- 4 days and after 8 weeks they are accurate by about +/- 3-5 days on the date of conception.
Conception is the day the sperm meets the egg. So from that conception date you could have gotten pregnant from having sex 3-5days before your conception date. Does that help ya at all?
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Yes I think so.

I was just wondering becasue I had sex with a guy and then 2 weeks later with another and now I am paranoid that I might be pregnant. So would it be easy to tell who the father was if I happen to be pregnant?
|

replied May 9th, 2006
2 weeks difference should be pretty easy to tell, are you going to get an ultrasound done to date the pregnancy? See exactly how far along you are? I recommend you do that as soon as possible if you are pregnant. That'll give you a really really good idea on who the father is :) good luck hun
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Depends on your conception date. Easy? Probably not. But possible, I guess.
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I don't feel that the conception date was accurate in my case. In fact I know that it wasn't. Trust me, I was there. It was actually 11 days off.
|

replied May 10th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
There is no percise and accurate wya to really know when the egg and spermed met but usually a u/s will give you a close approx. Of that day. I knew which few days I concieved but I can't be 100% which one in particular it is.
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Help
Ok I have one I was on my period and had sex with my bf on Jan 7th and on Jan 18 I had sex with another man when me and my bf broke up. My ultrasound on March 19 put me at 10wks and 2days which would be Jan 6th. Me and my bf are back and just need to know if the other man could be the father cause if you count when I started my period my 14 day would be when me and the other guy had sex on Jan 18. Could and ulrasound be off 12 days when I'm only 10wks and 2days?
|

replied March 30th, 2009
reply to help
It should be your boyfriends baby based on the information you gave. I would advise you do get a test done because the due dates can be off to up to a week. Considering you had an ultrasound done in your first trimester it is more accurate I would think that it was your boyfriends. Its just hard to tell.
|

replied April 5th, 2009
confused on dates
i had sex on the 10th of jan. with a man and he did not ejaculate. then i had sex on the 21st thru now with my current boyfriend. my period was around the 6th of jan.before that i bled for 4 months straight so my ovulation could be off a lil bit. ive had 5 ultrasounds and they all put me concieving between the 20th and the 30th. based on my lmp i should have concieved on the 20th but didnt have sex on the 20th. i was just wondering if its most likely that i concived with my boyfriend. we never used protection.
|
Quick Reply